Mntray is disappearing from the system tray

Thanks. I’ve replied to the issue at github.
I’m suspecting some issue with the lck file which is not properly deleted on logout.

I had the exact same issue with MEGASync - appeared to be clashing with pamac.

I have resolved the issue by checking “Hide tray icon when no update available” in pamac Preferences.

To be on the safe side, I also increased the autostart delay for MEGASync by setting X-GNOME-Autostart-Delay=90 in ~/.config/autostart/megasync.desktop

Hope this helps someone…

This sounds similar to an issue with MEGASync. Have you tried this?

Replace the Exec line in ~/.config/autostart/mntray.desktop with Exec=sh -c “sleep 3 && mntray”

Credit to @Zesko if this works

1 Like

The startup delay should indeed help.
We did a lot of testing with @lakotamm. Ultimately it seems to be some gnome quirks…

There are a couple of ways to mitigate the issue via enabling certain extensions also, but the best for the moment is just to delay the startup as you described.

1 Like

I started experiencing this issue after the 2021-03-08 Stable Update. Just confirming that the startup delay suggested above by @smadgal / @Zesko does indeed work for me.

I started working on porting the app to Vala/GTK using XApp.StatusIcon. Let’s see how it goes…

1 Like

Installed mntray yesterday on an up-to-date Stable gnome installation and after rebooting a few times today, I experienced this problem.

Solved it by following @smadgal 's suggestion and this exact modification.

For newbies like me

Backup ~/.config/autostart/mntray.desktop :

cp -b ~/.config/autostart/mntray.desktop ~

Modify ~/.config/autostart/mntray.desktop :

nano ~/.config/autostart/mntray.desktop

Replace the line Exec= with the following:

Exec=bash -c "sleep 5 && /usr/bin/mntray"

Save Ctrl+O, Enter and Exit Ctrl+X

Try rebooting and then logging out. Check if mntray appears without fail and if everything works well, you could delete the backup file mntray.desktop that’s in your home folder.

EDIT: Removed sudo from the commands, because I realized we don’t need it and there’s no reason to risk unintended mistakes by applying changes with administrative privileges.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.