Manjaro Gnome, new install, no notification sound

I am new to gnome, but i just can’t believe there is no obvious way to get the calendar alert notification to make any sound?

Its a new install, i have changed nothing.

setting / sound /

All volumes are full, the correct output device, I can select the 4 alert sounds at the bottom and they are audible. Moving the volume slider on the tray menu does make a bing sound.

Settings / notifications /

Do not disturb is OFF, I have check all of these applications and they all have the “sound alerts” switched on.

I am 100% sure i am setting the calender alert correctly (to give a popup & sound) it shows the popup but no sound?

I have been searching for an answer all day, i found Notification Sound but they say there is no help?

gsettings list-recursively org.gnome.desktop.sound             1 ✘ 
org.gnome.desktop.sound allow-volume-above-100-percent false
org.gnome.desktop.sound event-sounds true
org.gnome.desktop.sound input-feedback-sounds false
org.gnome.desktop.sound theme-name '__custom'

I don’t know why, but that setting always seems to change to custom from default no matter what. You’ll see that setting in Tweaks > Appearance as well.

Are you using PulseAudio or PipeWire out of curiousity?

How would i know(what do i do to check)? I dont know.

pactl info | grep 'Server Name'

pulseaudio

Yes Tweaks / appearance / sound is “custom” , should i change it to default?

If you run the following to restart PulseAudio, does that make any difference?

pulseaudio -k && sleep 5 && pulseaudio --start

still silent.

Is there a better / quicker way to test as having to set a calender reminder and then wait for a minute or so just to test the notifier is a PITA?

I don’t think I’ve ever heard a sound when receiving a GNOME Calendar reminder. Are you sure that’s even a thing?

yea, 100% sure. Screen shot of the “create calendar event” settings

If you hover over the sound icon the tooltip says “Toggle the sound of the alarm”

1 Like