Manjaro ARM Beta4 with Phosh (PinePhone)

You should be able to update, but to get the configuration changes you need to flash.

Hi varikonniemi - do the configuration changes affect usability? Because I have not flashed my Pinephone, I am wondering if flashing is optional (i.e., flashing is useful for some Pinephone users, but not necessarily everyone). Cheers!

Hello.
Anbox doesn’t work on this build, I believe has something to do with the new kernel 5.10 same problem than on arch linux.

1 Like

I am seeing this also with the pi4 5.10.0 kernel.

there might be changes, but expect no significant difference. Only if bugs happen would you need to reinstall, especially if you consider manjaro-tweaks should make the changes for you. If you update from beta1? Don’t. If you update from beta3? you should be fine. I had rode a couple of betas and it just worked as expected.

varikonniemi - thanks for the additional information and guidance. My Pinephone was shipped with Beta2 and I have been updating as the new releases become available. Cheers!

Thanks for the answers on reinstalling versus rolling. My last install was beta3 so I will keep rolling.
I am having a problem trying to auth Cawbird as a Twit client. Basically I request a PIN through the app and I get a url that opens in textEdit. It is a webpage where the user logs in and and authroizes the app with a PIN. I need to get the URL to open in a web browser.

If anyone has gotten this too work please enlighten me.

If not, who would I file a bug report with? It seems as though a filetype issue, but since the url looks like h-t-t-p-:/\/tweet.com/HSQAkamfe23adfijqwjiGG there is no extension to associate. Is this a Cawbird issue, a Phosh issue or, as usual, something easily fixed if I only knew how?

Thanks!

open firefox go to prefrences then set as default browser. next go to settings and default apps ff should be listed then now try opening the link hopefully itll redirect to ff instead of gedit

on megi 17 pboot img beta 2 broke after running pacman -Syyu as well as the plasma build. after updating and rebooting os hangs on splashscreen and is then followed by a screen that says its in emergency mode, rendering os useless. mind giving it a shot on your end to see if you have better luck?

Strange but the srop down for default browser is greyed out and I get a system crash when I try using FF for much. I will flash fully and see if it continues. Thanks for the shove in the right direction.

OK, clean flash and things are so much better. Wow! Thanks.

I finally managed to use the tips and tricks thread to flash an SD card and get off the factory image onto a now running live beta4 on SD card. (totally late bloomer here, feeling pretty accomplished LOL). Many details seem improved but I still have one big problem with sound:

When calls connect, I can hear the other party but they cannot hear me. I played with sound settings under settings menu, changed volumes, sound quality settings, mute buttons, nothing changes. (* edit: recording/playback does currently not work as I had assumed, see update below *) SMS works great. I would love to keep my carrier.

Which easy things can I do to make the mic work correctly during calls? TIA!

update:
My other household member PinePhone enthusiasts inform me that recording and playback was erratic since we first inserted a SIM on the factory/beta1 version. It was not completely broken, so they didn’t mention it. Apparently recording works sometimes but playback does not. I have confirmed this much today by attempting several recordings, some of which were empty and some were not. None of the ones with content that seemed to playback produced any sound. None of the GUI accessible settings change anything. New questions are:

1. is it possible that the SIM might have messed up microphone settings or the mic itself?
  2. Can someone, please, direct me to a good but thorough beginner resource for troubleshooting the PinePhone microphone? I searched the forum unsuccessfully but have found a pretty diagram elsewhere (Audio on PinePhone). I am not sure if the resource is reputable and/or how to use it. I think I need to find out what works and confirm that (hopefully) the mic is not broken. TIA!

(ps. sorry if this is in the wrong thread now, I assume correcting/updating my previous post was the most efficient, least clutter…)

Hi, I also had a similar issue but fault was with the hardware. I would consider checking with the support team at pinephone as they may have had a bad production run. I managed to temporarily fix it by wedging small piece if card above the usb port to put pressure on it. This is not technical advice but it worked for me while my part is in the post.

Thank you @stevenandree, I will contact the device support team, too :slight_smile: I assume that would be through pine64? Before I do that, it would be nice if I could rule out software issues though. I did try the cardboard trick you suggested and it changes nothing for me. Not sure yet if that is fortunate or unfortunate…

There does seem to be something going on with the sound recorder app which makes me think that maybe there is something software-related going on: It mostly does not record (timer won’t start but it does create an empty recording). When it does record, it mostly turns itself off after a few seconds (like 0.1 to 2-ish seconds, the counter goes to zero and it creates an empty or almost empty recording. It goes too fast to tell for sure but it seems like it reverses and goes backwards at some point, and stops with the empty recording when it reaches zero). When I pause the recording before the timer goes weird, it does create a recording of the correct length but any recordings play back with a quiet hiss only.

I would like to uninstall and reinstall it. Is anything going to change if I do this through the package manager, or do I have to go via command line and make sure the package is re-loaded from the repository? TIA!

update: via the on-board package manager GUI, uninstalled Sound Recorder and reinstalled it. Same behavior. Uninstalled Sound Recorder and installed Audacity. Same behavior.

I have not tested it but this might help enable usb tethering (#77) ¡ Issues ¡ manjaro-arm / issues / Pinephone / Phosh ¡ GitLab

If you need this is where I lodged a ticket and they ran me through some trouble shooting, https://desk.zoho.com/portal/pine64/en/home

Merry Christmas everyone!

someone said that the sound works for calls in one direction, so either when someone calls you or you call someone, you can be heard (i forget which direction). If you can test receiving and making a call and one of them work you can be sure it is a software problem.

Yes, thank you! I also saw this thread and tried it out earlier. In my case, I cannot be heard both ways and I hear the other side both ways. So I have a potential hardware problem but also Sound Recorder and Audacity both behave strange in the same way as described above, and that looks like it could be a software issue, too.

Wondering if anyone else is having major issues with Bluetooth. I can connect my headset and it works for about a second and then reverts back to pairing. I’ve been through journalctl and getting similar errors as reported in this post Kernel >=5.9 breaks bluetooth mouse connection / Kernel & Hardware / Arch Linux Forums. Its reporting “bluetoothhd src/main.c:parse_controller_config() Key file does not have key”. Is this an issue that will get patched or something we need to find another solution to.

bluetooth works fine for me.
now, phones… About 99% of incoming calls I can’t hear anything. The other 1% I just don’t even get a ring. ATT USA.