Manjaro ARM Beta4 with Phosh (PinePhone)

I finally managed to use the tips and tricks thread to flash an SD card and get off the factory image onto a now running live beta4 on SD card. (totally late bloomer here, feeling pretty accomplished LOL). Many details seem improved but I still have one big problem with sound:

When calls connect, I can hear the other party but they cannot hear me. I played with sound settings under settings menu, changed volumes, sound quality settings, mute buttons, nothing changes. (* edit: recording/playback does currently not work as I had assumed, see update below *) SMS works great. I would love to keep my carrier.

Which easy things can I do to make the mic work correctly during calls? TIA!


update:
My other household member PinePhone enthusiasts inform me that recording and playback was erratic since we first inserted a SIM on the factory/beta1 version. It was not completely broken, so they didn’t mention it. Apparently recording works sometimes but playback does not. I have confirmed this much today by attempting several recordings, some of which were empty and some were not. None of the ones with content that seemed to playback produced any sound. None of the GUI accessible settings change anything. New questions are:

  1. is it possible that the SIM might have messed up microphone settings or the mic itself?
  2. Can someone, please, direct me to a good but thorough beginner resource for troubleshooting the PinePhone microphone? I searched the forum unsuccessfully but have found a pretty diagram elsewhere (Audio on PinePhone). I am not sure if the resource is reputable and/or how to use it. I think I need to find out what works and confirm that (hopefully) the mic is not broken. TIA!

(ps. sorry if this is in the wrong thread now, I assume correcting/updating my previous post was the most efficient, least clutter…)