Manjaro ARM Alpha4 with Phosh (PinePhone)

Manjaro ARM Alpha4 of Phosh for PinePhone!

The Manjaro ARM project is proud to announce our fourth ALPHA release for the PinePhone running Phosh!

This image are running the 5.7 kernel from gitlab.com/pine64-org/linux, which is designed for the PinePhone.

Features:

• Firefox uses a dedicated configuration and plays videos on Youtube pretty well
  • Camera app with access to back and front camera
  • Auto-Rotate function (deactivated by default)
  • Welcome wizard for easy setup of the device
  • Comes with a flashlight application
  • Prime phone functions working, including resume from deep-sleep and free speaking
  • Recording of audio works
  • Most applications got added to scale-to-fit
  • Haptic feedback functions are given
  • Optimized keyboard layout for terminal
  • Maps with working GPS
  • Volume buttons working
  • Sensors fully functional
  • Easy access to Bluetooth, Wlan, Rotate and Mobile functions via quick settings
  • Default branch is arm-unstable. This can be changed by editing /etc/pacman-mirrors.conf
  • This image uses a Crust enabled uboot

Changes since Alpha3

• Replaced pinhole (gnome-camera) with megapixels
  • Updated kernel to 5.7.19
  • Updated uboot-firmware to 2020.09 (incl. support for 3GB version)
  • Added nemo as filemanager
  • Packages updated, incl. mesa, phosh, calls, qt5, systemd

Currently broken:

• N/A

Known issues

• it may take longer to wake up from deep-sleep mode when a call is incoming. Most of the time that call will vibrate only.
  • UI becomes unresponsive after a while.
  • Lots of apps are still missing or are not mobile friendly yet.

Download:

Device Phosh
PinePhone Alpha4

About the device:
PinePhone:
Perhaps you’re in a line of work where security is a must, or a hard-core Linux enthusiast, or perhaps you’ve just got enough of Android and iOS and you’re ready for something else – the PinePhone may be the next Phone for you. Powered by the same Quad-Core ARM Cortex A53 64-Bit SOC used in our popular PINE A64 Single Board Computer, the PinePhone runs mainline Linux as well as anything else you’ll get it to run.

The purpose of the PinePhone isn’t only to deliver a functioning Linux phone to end-users, but also to actively create a market for such a device, as well as to support existing and well established Linux-on-Phone projects. All major Linux Phone-oriented projects, as well as other FOSS OS’, are represented on the PinePhone and developers work together on our platform to bring support this this community driven device.

Pre-Order

You can now pre-order the Manjaro CE Edition and the Manjaro CE Convergence Package of the Pinephone!

How to install:

Download the image/xz file from the download location. Verify that the download completed successfully.

After that, install Etcher (sudo pacman -S etcher if on Manjaro) and burn the to an SD card (8 GB or larger).

The PinePhone should recognize the SD card as a bootable device and boot from it.

The premade users are:
User: manjaro
Password: 123456

User: root
password: root

Donate!

Please consider supporting Manjaro ARM directly via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Open Collective.
You can also donate to our upstream, which is Arch Linux ARM.

4 Likes

Bugtracker

If you face issues with this editon, please open a new issue on our bug-tracker

Development Changelog

We will list our progress to Beta here

• Alpha4 (2020-09-20) Download
  • Alpha4 (2020-10-02) Download
    • fix issues with country codes on internal service numbers
    • update megapixels and gnome packages
  • Alpha4 (2020-10-03) Download
    • update megapixels to save JPEG files
  • Alpha4 (2020-10-04) Download
    • update megapixels to have autofocus
    • update linux-pinephone to support autofocus
    • add more applications
    • fix several applications to be more adaptive
    • fixed scrolling issue of open apps in phosh
    • anbox should now scale properly

Problem receiving incoming calls if the phone is in sleep state. Like the build before.
Phone takes too much time … 20-30 seconds … to wake up and accept the call. Sometimes the carrier connection is up again after 1 minute

Just tried it, and It’s honestly amazing how good this release is already. Things go smooth, start relatively fast (considering most, like Firefox and Geary, are desktop applications) and it’s seems very stable overall as well. I’ve had no DE crashes/freezes whatsoever. Using wi-fi, no SIM inserted or mobile network modem enabled.

I’ll try it out some more this week and collect some comments. Thanks a lot guys for all the continued hard work! :muscle:

Anbox still covered on the bottom and top by the phosh bars

Looks great, already ordered another pinephone to have one ready for “production” use :slight_smile:
Is there a list of apps that would need some porting? I am happy to help here although my time is limited.

Everything looks great. My wifi drops out, I think it’s because I have 2 access points with the same SSID and it maybe a phosh thing since it doesn’t happen on UBports. Also, any chance we get the 5.9 kernel since it works really well with HDMI and convergence package.

Is it useful to start flashing this to internal eMMC and update to next alpha/beta works?

that’s always useful as it is much faster and pleasurable to use from emmc. But i don̈́t see any mention of fixes to the boot/shutdown problems experienced in alpha3 by me and at least another person at the forum so maybe installing the newest alpha2 build and updating form there would be better, it’s what i did to prevent the problems and it seems to be working fine. I have not however tried alpha4 to see if the problems persist.

1 Like

That release is much better than previous, but I found some rough corners and bugs. Is it better to report in the bug tracker or to have other contacts?

Alpha4 was working well, though today I hit an issue while trying to update: gtk3-mobile is conflicting with gtk3 updates. Forcefully installing gtk3-mobile (ignoring dependencies) in place of gtk3 didn’t workaround this either as there is another conflict with gtk-print-backends.

Same problem here. Update(s) not possible

Yup, same here. :frowning:

any solution yet to this problem? Interesting there are none posted yet. This probably means running these alphas you should expect them to break with no comment from those that made it so.

They are busy people with their own lives to lead. Which isn’t necessarily a simple matter - especially these days…

Patience & gratitude makes it easier for everyone. :wink:

2 Likes

the issue seems to be fixed, or then my package juggling managed to work around the issue. I would not recommend this approach as the phone was barely usable while doing this procedure.

Once I try to add an account in Geary the system crashes.

Hi,
this build gave me the best expirience of all OS i tried so far on my PinePhone. Two questions:

• How do i enable the auto-rotate feature?
  • Where would be the right place to ask a question like this?

tks!

Pinephone (manjaro version) is sold with phosh or plazma ?

@kubussz Here’s the announcement: