Make command not found

Hi everyone!
New linux user here,
The problem-
…my default network card did not work and i didn’t have ethernet.
… So! I bought a usb wireless driver called 802.11n, It comes with a CD that contains the driver so extracted the files and read instructions.
… when I try to run command $make or make. It shows make command not found.
… I think I need install something called metapackage , but I don’t laptop isn’t connected to internet.
Any solutions?
Can i somehow download it on mobile and then transfer it to linux and get it working ?

Did you install the base-devel package group, which contains software you need to build/compile packages? Looks like you didn’t.

You should have a USB → Ethernet adapter, if your laptop does not have a native ethernet port, for these occasions.

1 Like

Yes looks like I don’t have it.
I do have an ethernet port available, I just don’t have a router, mobile hotspot is usually good enough for most tasks I do.
Is there something I do?

Well, mobile tethering could be an option, depending on your phone.

But the problem is that the laptop doesn’t detect wifi.
For that i need to compile the driver that comes with it. For that I think I need to use ‘make’ , which doesn’t work and shows command not found.

Mobile tethering is not the same as a wifi hotspot.

Mobile tethering is you connecting your phone via USB to the laptop and then using the Phones internet connection through USB on the laptop.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Android_tethering

1 Like

Woah, That’s amazing!
The Sudo pacman -S base-devel
Gives warning: database file for ‘core’ not found,
And three more similar warnings.
Can you refer me to a guide to get base-devel on manjaro?
I should be able to get the other things working.
Thanks a lot!

$ sudo pacman -Syu --needed base-devel
1 Like

It worked, thanks!

Welcome to the forum! :wave:

Classic XY Problem: You’re asking about your attempted solution rather than your actual problem . This leads to enormous amounts of wasted time and energy, both on the part of people asking for help, and on the part of those providing help.

That’s a wireless protocol, not a device.

Please post your system info as outlined here:

Please also see:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.