Lenovo legion 5 touchpad not working

Greetings to all people of this forum!

I recently installed Manjaro on my laptop (Lenovo Legion 5).
However, the touchpad does not work and is not recognized as a device.

I found these three threads on the forum:

(could not apply the solution because I cannot find my touchpad ID)

(same as above)

(no solution was actually posted)

All solutions I found seem to be really complicated.

Any ideas on what I could do?
Touchpad worked out of the box in Pop OS.

At one time there were touchpad problems with these laptops running any Linux distro, but as I recall only AMD Ryzen variants were affected. In fact, it was Manjaro developers who provided the kernel patch that fixed it. I think that was prior to kernel 5.9. I know this backstory may not be very useful but you might try the 5.10 LTS kernel (as long as the file system is ext4).

Does the touchpad work with KDE live media? If not, how about Xfce or GNOME?

Indeed, my laptop has an AMD Ryzen.

I forgot to mention that I am using GNOME.
So, as far as GNOME is concerned, the touchpad is not working neither in the live media nor in the installed OS.
I tried a Cinnamon Live usb and, again, the touchpad was not working.
However, the touchpad worked properly in the KDE live media (I tried it following your suggestion).

The only differences were that GNOME and Cinnamon were 21.0.7 releases and KDE was 21.1.0.
Could this have something to do with the fact that some live media had touchpad support and some didn’t?

However, my GNOME installation is fully updated and I still have no touchpad:

cat /etc/lsb-release

DISTRIB_ID=ManjaroLinux
DISTRIB_RELEASE=21.1.0
DISTRIB_CODENAME=Pahvo
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Manjaro Linux"

lspci

00:00.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Renoir Root Complex
00:01.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Renoir PCIe Dummy Host Bridge
00:01.1 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Renoir PCIe GPP Bridge
00:01.2 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Renoir PCIe GPP Bridge
00:02.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Renoir PCIe Dummy Host Bridge
00:02.1 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Renoir PCIe GPP Bridge
00:02.2 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Renoir PCIe GPP Bridge
00:08.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Renoir PCIe Dummy Host Bridge
00:08.1 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Renoir Internal PCIe GPP Bridge to Bus
00:08.2 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Renoir Internal PCIe GPP Bridge to Bus
00:14.0 SMBus: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH SMBus Controller (rev 51)
00:14.3 ISA bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH LPC Bridge (rev 51)
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Renoir Device 24: Function 0
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Renoir Device 24: Function 1
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Renoir Device 24: Function 2
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Renoir Device 24: Function 3
00:18.4 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Renoir Device 24: Function 4
00:18.5 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Renoir Device 24: Function 5
00:18.6 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Renoir Device 24: Function 6
00:18.7 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Renoir Device 24: Function 7
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation TU117M [GeForce GTX 1650 Ti Mobile] (rev a1)
01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation Device 10fa (rev a1)
02:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: Samsung Electronics Co Ltd Device a809
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 15)
04:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wi-Fi 6 AX200 (rev 1a)
05:00.0 Non-Essential Instrumentation [1300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Zeppelin/Raven/Raven2 PCIe Dummy Function (rev c7)
05:00.2 Encryption controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 10h-1fh) Platform Security Processor
05:00.3 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Renoir USB 3.1
05:00.4 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Renoir USB 3.1
05:00.5 Multimedia controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven/Raven2/FireFlight/Renoir Audio Processor (rev 01)
05:00.6 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 10h-1fh) HD Audio Controller
06:00.0 SATA controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 81)
06:00.1 SATA controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 81)

The 5.10 kernel is the one I am running now.
I will give 5.12 a try, just to check the waters.

Gave 5.12 a try and everything seems to be working!
Well, too bad I didn’t think about trying that earlier.
My bad.
It’s just that most of the time switching kernels does not do the trick.
So I guess I am not inclined to think about this solution.

Anyway, everything seems to be working right now (I was worried about the ethernet adapter, but it seems to be working fine).

I assumed Intel and KDE because that’s what your profile says.

Terrific! And good to know kernel 5.10 still had touchpad issues with certain Ryzen laptops. I don’t think Lenovo Legions were the only ones with the problem.

Well, you are indeed correct.
This information was kinda old though, I forgot to update my profile.
To be honest, it’s been more than two years since I last used KDE.
I went ahead and removed hardware info from my profile, since I use three different machines nowadays (and it is pointless to list all the hardware).

Any updates on this issue? I’ve noticed that touchpad works on kernel 5.13, but doesn’t work in 5.14 :frowning: