Laptop with RTL8821CE not connecting to wifi

Hello!
I just got an HP 15S-EQ1019NS AMD Athlon Silver laptop after a few years with nothing at all and I’m a bit lost. Manjaro installed with minor glitches which just disappeared but I’m left with no way to connect to wifi.

I tried the solution listed in an ASUS thread:

yay rtl8821ce-dkms-git

I chose defaults (1) but get a bunch of 404s :confused:

Any ideas?

Have a great day!

Marianne

This is my hardware:

> $ lspc
> 00:00.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven/Raven2 Root Complex
> 00:00.2 IOMMU: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven/Raven2 IOMMU
> 00:01.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-1fh) PCIe Dummy Host Bridge
> 00:01.2 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven/Raven2 PCIe GPP Bridge [6:0]
> 00:01.6 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Zeppelin Switch Upstream (PCIE SW.US)
> 00:01.7 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Zeppelin Switch Upstream (PCIE SW.US)
> 00:08.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-1fh) PCIe Dummy Host Bridge
> 00:08.1 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven/Raven2 Internal PCIe GPP Bridge 0 to Bus A
> 00:14.0 SMBus: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH SMBus Controller (rev 61)
> 00:14.3 ISA bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH LPC Bridge (rev 51)
> 00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven/Raven2 Device 24: Function 0
> 00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven/Raven2 Device 24: Function 1
> 00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven/Raven2 Device 24: Function 2
> 00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven/Raven2 Device 24: Function 3
> 00:18.4 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven/Raven2 Device 24: Function 4
> 00:18.5 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven/Raven2 Device 24: Function 5
> 00:18.6 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven/Raven2 Device 24: Function 6
> 00:18.7 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven/Raven2 Device 24: Function 7
> 01:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: SK hynix Device 1339
> 02:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8821CE 802.11ac PCIe Wireless Network Adapter
> 04:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Picasso (rev cd)
> 04:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Raven/Raven2/Fenghuang HDMI/DP Audio Controller
> 04:00.2 Encryption controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 10h-1fh) Platform Security Processor
> 04:00.3 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven2 USB 3.1
> 04:00.5 Multimedia controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven/Raven2/FireFlight/Renoir Audio Processor
> 04:00.6 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 10h-1fh) HD Audio Controller

Well, you have to install that dkms driver. I have the same wifi chip.

So what are the errors you got exactly?

Hi!
Try activating the AUR repos in whatever package manager are you using. Update the repos, install kernel headers.
Like @Strit, I recommend to use the dkms version

Thank you both!!

I activated the AUR repositories and tried again with the driver. No errors this time but it’s not working either. It asks which kernel heards I want and I have no clue which ones are correct, so I just chose 1. Maybe that’s the problem? I have Manjaro Mikah, release 20.1

I’m a newbie and I’m having problems with hunters so sorry if I make stupid questions. My poor brain cell is dead tired.

which kernel do you have installed?

pls output from:
inxi -Fxxxza --no-host
or
uname -a

the driver install should work like this:

sudo pacman -Syyu
sudo pacman -S dkms linuxXX-headers
pamac build rtl8821ce-dkms-git

inxi or uname shows you which kernel to install / use
and change XX to your kernel-no. (e.g. linux58-headers)
after this…reboot :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Yeah. the kernel headers need to match the kernel you have installed.

Hello again! And thanks!

$ uname -a
Linux marianne-hplaptop15seq1xxx 5.7.17-2-MANJARO #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Aug 22 14:58:17 UTC 2020 x86_64 GNU/Linux

$ inxi -Fxxxza --no-host
System: Kernel: 5.7.17-2-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 10.2.0
parameters: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-5.7-x86_64 root=UUID=2c65f5a5-2b8c-4c58-ab89-489310a86c27 rw quiet apparmor=1
security=apparmor resume=UUID=13ccacf5-f006-4699-b76c-b5a9b39ebe6b udev.log_priority=3

and this is the choice of headers I get:
linux-headers:
:: Repositoriocore
1) linux414-headers 2) linux419-headers 3) linux44-headers 4) linux49-headers 5) linux54-headers 6) linux57-headers 7) linux58-headers 8) linux59-headers :: Repositoriocommunity
9) linux54-rt-headers 10) linux56-rt-headers

So… linux 57??

It appears to have worked just great. Thank you all for your explanations! :slight_smile: :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank you very much! Exactly what I needed! Worked as a charm. Do I need to do every time I switch to a newer kernel?

occasionally the dkms package has to be recompiled (in the event of errors (pacman update) usually kernel update)
Should there be any errors, simply run the dkms package again

pamac update -a (all AUR update)
or
pamac build rtl8821ce-dkms-git (new rtl8821AUR build)

Stay hard…play smart … have a nice day :wink:

3 Likes

I just want to say thank you! I had the same problem and now is working perfectly.

Funcionó perfecto, muchísimas gracias.
I worked perfwctly, thank you very much

Everyone seems to be thanking @Lila-Kuh profoundly but no one is marking a solution, so I’ve marked this answer as the solution to your question as it is by far the best answer you’ll get.

However, if you disagree with my choice, please feel free to take any other answer as the solution to your question or even remove the solution altogether: You are in control! (If you disagree with my choice, just send me a personal message and explain why I shouldn’t have done this or :heart: or :+1: if you agree)

:innocent:
P.S. In the future, please don’t forget to come back to your question after your issue has been solved and click the 3 dots below the answer to mark a solution like this below the answer that helped you most:
Solution
so that the next person that has the exact same problem you just had will benefit from your post as well as your question will now be in the “solved” status.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.