Wifi & Bluetooth not working on a new install Realtek rtl8821ce

I am a newbie to Manjaro (so be gentle) and have clean installed Manjaro numerous times with various kernels and headers using this method from here: Laptop with RTL8821CE not connecting to wifi - #6 by Lila-Kuh

sudo pacman -Syyu
sudo pacman -S dkms linuxXX-headers
pamac build rtl8821ce-dkms-git

I made sure both the kernel and headers matched and installed, but still nothing.

I have tried kernels 54, 59rt, 59, 510.

Currently, this is my output so far from uname -a
Linux manjaro 5.10.2-2-MANJARO #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Dec 22 08:14:42 UTC 2020 x86_64 GNU/Linux

and my output from inxi -Nazy
Network:
Device-1: Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11ac PCIe Wireless Network Adapter
vendor: Lenovo driver: rtw_8821ce v: N/A modules: rtw88_8821ce,8821ce
port: 4000 bus ID: 07:00.0 chip ID: 10ec:c821
Device-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet
vendor: Lenovo driver: r8169 v: kernel port: 3000 bus ID: 08:00.0
chip ID: 10ec:8168

When I click on select wifi, it just keeps on scanning and shows me nothing, it’s just blank.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Might not work for you, but my Intel Wifi card is also missing on various kernels.

Workaround I found by mistake: Boot into UEFI/BIOS and turn off your ethernet

Would be interested if this works for you and returns your wifi on a Realtek RTL card. That would implicate a much different set of kernels and headers.

Thanks for your reply.

I don’t have the option to turn off ethernet in Bios (but I do wifi).
Anyway, I tried it and sadly, no such luck.

@teyemanon

See the Configuration section of [HowTo] Install Manjaro on the ASUS TUF FX505DY / FX705DY with Ryzen / Radeon combo. It’s a known/common problem with that WiFi adapter. If you have the means (money and your computer/notebook allows), I’d suggest swapping it out. I have the notebook that post was written for, and I followed the author’s advice and replaced the WiFi adapter and saw about a 30% improvement in throughput. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

That’s interesting. Which adapter did you swap it for?

The same one as the author of that post. It was cheap ($20ish USD) and easy to replace, at least in that particular device.

@flibby.jibbit You are a star…

I got the adapter for £23 and both the wifi and bluetooth work like a dream.

ok, so I had to change the adapter, but at least it works. Many thanks.

@teyemanon So happy you got it working, but the star is @Gerdoch, the author of the link I posted. Maybe give his/her post a like. :partying_face:

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.