Keyboard Layout Constantly Reverting

Alright, I just want to say right off the bat, this is has been a soul-sucking level of frustration for the past several months, for me. Now that I have gotten that out of the way, here is the the TLDR: Every time I login, the keyboard layout reverts back to the physical keyboard layout of the laptop, despite setting the layout to US-default several times a day.

I purchased this laptop while overseas, and it was advertised as having the default English layout. However, that is not how it arrived. Being desperate for a laptop at the time, I didn’t fight it – I just used an external keyboard, as was my intention from the start, anyway. What I was not expecting was for the layout to be changed back to the foreign layout, and having to re-enter my password in the settings panel to change it back, every. Single. Time. I. Log. On.

If possible, I would settle for a logon script that sets the layout back to the appropriate setting, but I have had problems with all the wikis and threads being outdated, or nothing working due to needing admin passwords for the script to work.

Ideally, I would like to know where this layout detection and auto setting is taking place, and disable it. I could really use some relief from this issue, as I already have to type in my admin password for a few things to get started on login as it is.

Any help, at all, would be greatly appreciated.

:+1: Welcome to Manjaro! :+1:

1. Please read this:
    How to provide good information
    and post some more information so we can see what’s really going on. Now we know the symptom of the disease, but we need some more probing to know where the origin lies… :grin:
  2. An inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host --width would be the minimum required information for us to be able to help you. (Personally Identifiable Information like serial numbers and MAC addresses will be filtered out by the above command)
    Also, please copy-paste that output in-between 3 backticks ``` at the beginning and end of the code/text.
  3. Go to System Settings and:
    • type keyb

• Select under Hardware, Input Deviced the list item Keyboard

• Click the Layouts tab

• Remove the Belgian, French, German, whatever… keyboard

• Add the US International keyboard if you need to be able to type ñ,ç, …or the standard QWERTY if you don’t.

• reboot and check

• feed back whether you’ve reached Nirvana now… :grin:

:+1:

P.S. If you enter a bit more details in your profile, we can also see which Desktop Environment you’re using, which CPU/GPU or Kernel, … you have without typing it every time

An inxi output isn’t relevant to this problem. I’m basically just asking where the setting is to disable this automatic settings switch, or to create a login script that will be able to use admin privies to change the layout back to the correct settings.

Whether it’s because I am on KDE, or because that screenshot and attached instructions are outdated, I’m not sure, but I have no options for deleting keyboard layouts.

Reverse the adding and deleting if you only have one lay-out present, please, as that is a KDE screenshot.

:crossed_fingers:

That’s what I meant, as there was no layout so I didn’t see any delete button.

I may just install outdated CLI apps so I can write a login script.

Can you give that anyway?

Also provide a screenshot of what you’re seeing.as I don’t understand what your exact issue is now…

:thinking: