KDE Plasma kickstart issue: loop message "Applications updated."

This problem in KDE, brings my PCs to their knees.

On very rare previous occasions, this problem fixed itself, but lately, new updates arrive and the problem simply does not get fixed. All the tricks that worked for me have failed, except the recreation of the profile that I need to try. But if the problem occurs in new installations, I don’t think it will work to recreate the profile this time.

I wouldn’t want to desert Manjaro either; it’s been many years and he has proved to be great except for this flaw. I am being drawn to jump into Garuda (KDE) only to miss Manjaro again and return to it. :thinking:

I will never leave KDE I am currently on a working install of sorts. Just having flatpak-plugin issues where it’s breaking pamac GUI… I created a thread for it awaiting a fix otherwise I want to install fresh start from zero on a separate SSD… For now until a fix is found I will remain on current setup…

At one point (*in the past), I found that some appimage, flatpak, bauh applications try to create menu entries causing this problem. I don’t remember if I had to delete the entries from the menu or rename the folder from the path.

(* note added)

I am certain someone will find a solution gotta be patient…

2 Likes

Same issue here.
Moreover, before command:

mv ~/.config/mimeapps.list ~/.local/share/applications/

in Settings > Kernel panel, my second kernel (not in use) was not marked as Installed.
After moving the file, now that kernel is marked properly.

More precisely, I didn’t got the “application updated” message, but I couldn’t click on any item in the Application Menu. The sub-menus appeared only for one second and then freeze the panel. Cpu usage for plasmashell was about 60%.

Waiting for a permanent patch… :innocent:

1 Like

Somebody already posted a fix, and 3 hours in with countless packages installed issue has not creeped out anymore…

Seems like the problem lies in kservice-git package.

I am quite sure it was pulled by installation via manjaro architect. No idea why are kf5-git packages pulled in by default insead of regular ones…

After removing the package and installing non-git version, the issue does not seem to return anymore.

sudo pacman -Rdd kservice-git ktextwidgets-git kwallet-git

And install back regular package version:

sudo pacman -S kservice ktextwidgets kwallet

I am good to go… Also no need to do the move file thing, I didn’t, I rand those 2 commands as soon as Install was done… :smiley:

4 Likes

@TechXero, not always the problem is kservice-git package.
I have not that package.

@gan Am on KDE and as soon as I did what I mentioned above I haven’t had any issues… And am on a fresh install …

Me too, I mean, fresh install (ten days old).
I got the problem after last update.
Clearly, the bug is more difficult to trace what it seems. :thinking:

@gan 10 days old ok. Me just couple of hours old. I hope issue doesn’t creep up for me. As for you try running commands anyway as those packages are part of Manjaro KDE 20.2…

1 Like

Oh, man! I search for kservice-git with pacman and I have that package too.
I’m just a bit tired, this evening. Why I searched for it ten minutes ago and I couldn’t find it? :face_with_thermometer:

I will try your solution, then. Thanks! :blush:

@gan Just copy-paste commands in terminal why you looking for them in Pacman ?

I like pacman. You see, old school… the command line has always been fashinating for me. :crazy_face:

This worked for myself. Issue appeared after configuring and running snap to install a package. Also happened earlier today but unsure what the issue was that time. Sort of a bummer but thankful for the forums!

I reinstalled manjaro 20.2 KDE and face this issue. both application updated and add panel disappearing.

reinstall the non-git version and the mv command totally solved my problem. Thanks, man!

Your solution works! Thanks!

Just coming here to say i’m also experiencing this issue (new install since a couple days ago, with latest manjaro kde iso. installed using manjaro architect)

Operating System: Manjaro Linux
KDE Plasma Version: 5.20.4
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.77.0
Qt Version: 5.15.2
Kernel Version: 5.9.11-3-MANJARO
OS Type: 64-bit
Processors: 16 × AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor
Memory: 31,3 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: GeForce GTX 1080/PCIe/SSE2

Solution posted upwards a few posts ago

I just want to add that this solution did not work for my two systems (nvidia & intel)
… Now I will try to recreate a new profile.