KDE Plasma 6 is coming out today. How/when do we update?

I just updated it to 6.0.1.

2 Likes

As NiLon says, some things really are sweeter for the waiting :wink:

2 Likes

My experience tells me that it’s better to wait. Programmers are humans, and humans are not perfect, they make mistakes, and so every new major release will have bugs. It is better to wait for a smoother experience, especially for the stable branch.

1 Like

I agree. But that’s what beta and release candidate is for, and I think they had quite a few months of those. With such a large and essential project like the KDE Plasma desktop, I’m just surprised that after release important issues still need to be fixed. If that’s the case for whichever reason, I’m indeed okay with waiting a bit longer… hoping it won’t be more than a few extra weeks now.

In theory all bugs and issues will be sorted out then. In practise, no.

Mainly because the ones willing to play, test and endure the bugs are a lot smaller group of people, so not all the bugs, flaws and problems will be encountered and exposed…

2 Likes

That, and the fact that it was a scheduled release — as per KDE’s normal modus operandi. In other words, it was not released because it was ready, but because they had set forth a release date, and that date had arrived.

KDE has always maintained a “ready or not, here it comes” approach, and that’s why each and every x.0 release has always been buggy and barely usable.

6 Likes

Here I’m :innocent:

Why not gstreamer?

To get a good idea of the disaster, you can check out the kde forum, before the update it was very quiet, but since …

next releases :

Version Post release Version Type Tar Date Release Date
6.0.2 Bugfix Release Tue 2024-03-12
6.0.3 Bugfix Release Tue 2024-03-26
6.0.4 Bugfix Release Tue 2024-04-15

6.0.1 was 2024-04-05

2 Likes

phonon-gstreamer is unmaintained

3 Likes

Ah, ok.
So it means that Manjaro plasma 6 will change his default to phonon-qt6-vlc?

1 Like

Well …
My original comment was about qt6-multimedia-*
Where you will likely be presented with the option of qt6-multimedia-ffmpeg and qt6-multimedia-gstreamer.
Given the information above and related to gstreamer I opted for the ffmpeg variant.
As for phonon-qt6* … there is only phonon-qt6 and phonon-qt6-vlc in the repos.
(phonon-qt6-gstreamer-git does exist in the AUR, but)
That means, as far as phonon* is concerned … then yes, you should get the vlc one unless you actively replace it with the unsupported aur package.

1 Like

Clear, thanks.
so it means that also vlc will be added?
I’m not on unstable but updated other distros arch based and sow the phonon-qt6-vlc…they already have vlc as mediaplayer, in manjaro I’ve not vlc.
I’ve selected qt6-multimedia-ffmpeg there as your suggested in the previous post :smiley:

Yeah it will have to pull vlc as a depend unless you use the AUR gstreamer package, which I dont really recommend.
That of course means users like me who dont much care for vlc will have a redundant media player.
But … eh … worse has happened.

Well, deed a new install on my old notebook of kde minimal and after some cleaning switched to unstable

I’m on x11… and yes vlc is there… but phonon-q5-gstreamer is there with phonon-qt6-vlc…

should be removed the qt5?

qt5 is still needed by … vlc so its kinda circular that way at the moment.

As to phonon-qt5-gstreamer … arguably it shouldnt have been the choice in the first place, and you can choose to replace it with the vlc variant, but there is no requirement to do so.

Eventually I would expect to remove that package altogether.

And … I tried, as phonon-qt5-{gstreamer,vlc} and phonon-qt5 only depend on eachother and are not required by anything else.
But upon a reboot smplayer could not play videos, and could again after a reinstall.
(which sorta makes sense as it still depends on qt5…)

PS. For other smplayer+wayland users … make sure to check Wayland support under the video tab in options. :wink:

1 Like

I installed xorg-xeyes the other day as an experiment to se which windows actually were Wayland ones, and smplayer wasn’t one of them, despite that box being already checked when I went to look for the settings.

I think argument(s) need to be added to start it in full Wayland mode? … will have a re-check where I read about this.

I have it, and it still shows as XWayland window. I think it only allows SMPlayer to use XWayland as opposite to not starting on Wayland at all, as it was some months ago.

This is the tooltip pop-up for the Wayland support option:

“This activates some options to prevent the video being displayed outside the main window.”

If run with $ QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland smplayer it prints:
This is SMPlayer v. 23.12.0 (revision 10207) running on Linux

It runs but plays only the audio (black video window, which doesn’t get resized to just show controls, like it does for audio-only files).

1 Like

well, IMHO better to wait to upgrade to plasma6 in stable
we had in the past when we was waiting an update for a month or even much more
in this case better to wait some more time till more bugs fix updates are released by kde :smiley:

3 Likes

I am on Plasma 6 and when SMPlayer is open normally (as XWayland window) it works correctly. If used: QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland smplayer it opens but plays only sound (black video screen).

1 Like