Kate stop working

After latest upgrade Kate stop working, giving this error message in terminal:
kate: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libKF5TextEditor.so.5: undefined symbol: _ZN9KLineEdit16returnKeyPressedERK7QString

Same with Kwrite
And System Settings-Applications quits with no message.
Kernel 5.11.14-1, KDE plasma V:5.21.4
What to do now ?

1 Like

I believe you might find your answer in the Stable Announcement, either under ā€œNew Issuesā€ or further down.

But first, try a reboot.

Before doing an upgrade, itā€™s always a good practice to read the Announcement.

Reboot didnā€™t help, checked New issues, following this:

wget https://archive.archlinux.org/packages/k/kio/kio-5.79.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
sudo pacman -U kio-5.79.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
echo ā€œIgnorePkg = kioā€ | sudo tee -a /etc/pacman.conf

Gives the following error: warning: config file /etc/pacman.conf, line 100: directive ā€˜IgnorePkgā€™ in section ā€˜multilibā€™ not recognized.
error: ā€˜echoā€™: could not find or read package
error: ā€˜IgnorePkg = kioā€™: could not find or read package
loading packagesā€¦
resolving dependenciesā€¦
looking for conflicting packagesā€¦
:: kio and kio-git are in conflict. Remove kio-git? [y/N] y
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: removing kio-git breaks dependency ā€˜kio-gitā€™ required by kdeclarative-git
:: removing kio-git breaks dependency ā€˜kio-gitā€™ required by kinit-git
:: removing kio-git breaks dependency ā€˜kio-gitā€™ required by knewstuff-git
IgnorePkg = kio

what to do next ?

Try searching before posting. Your exact issue has been addressed a couple of times in the last few days.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve marked this answer as the solution to your question as it is by far the best answer youā€™ll get.

However, if you disagree with my choice, please feel free to take any other answer as the solution to your question or even remove the solution altogether: You are in control! (If you disagree with my choice, just send me a personal message and explain why I shouldnā€™t have done this or :heart: or :+1: if you agree)

:innocent:
P.S. In the future, please donā€™t forget to come back and click the 3 dots below the answer to mark a solution like this below the answer that helped you most:
Solution
so that the next person that has the exact same problem you just had will benefit from your post as well as your question will now be in the ā€œsolvedā€ status.

After following another thread and:

1. replacing kio-git, kinit-git, knewstuff-git and kdeclarative-git with their non-git counterparts,

2. the following commands work:

wget https://archive.archlinux.org/packages/k/kio/kio-5.79.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
    sudo pacman -U kio-5.79.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
    echo "IgnorePkg = kio" | sudo tee -a /etc/pacman.conf

3. Afterwards, replace all k*-git packages with their non-git counterparts via pamac.

Kate, Kwrite, plasma and System Settings-Applications now seem to work as expected.

How to replace all k*-git packages with their non-git counterparts via pamac?
Do I have to do it one by one?

Pamac is not a great way to do it.

Use the command line pacman instead.

I did everything and Iā€™m still getting the same error:
āÆ kate
kate: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libKF5TextEditor.so.5: undefined symbol: _ZN9KLineEdit16returnKeyPressedERK7QString

You are sure you donā€™t have any -git package left?

I donā€™t know how to replace all k*-git packages at once with the least amount of effort, but I assume you could use pamac list --installed | grep **-git to find them. Do keep in mind, however, that this command will list all installed *-git packages and not only the k-ones, so youā€™ll have some sorting out to do yourself.

I got the list of k packages, Iā€™m doing the upgrades manually. Iā€™ll let you know if it works.

After updating all the k packages from -git to non git, Kate started to work. Thanks guys.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.