Kate don't start after last update

Hi,

Kate don’t start after this update, I reinstalled, removed , no change…

have someone an idea to solve this issue ?

Thanks in advance.

It does work perfectly over here at my end, and I’ve just updated my system as well.

1. Did you reboot your computer after the update?
  2. Are you using some exotic theme?
  3. Have you tried starting it from a terminal window? If there are any errors, you should see them there.

Thanks for your message

1. Yes for sure, I rebooted
  2. No, I don’t use exotic theme, just plasma kde with oxygen :-)
  3. You’re right, Something go wrong here, see below
[nicolas@nls-pc ~]$ kate
kate: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libKF5TextEditor.so.5: undefined symbol: _ZN9KLineEdit16returnKeyPressedERK7QString
[nicolas@nls-pc ~]$ 

I could be mistaken, but as far as I know, Manjaro has stopped updating the Oxygen theme quite a while ago ─ probably a decision made by Arch and adopted by Manjaro. I myself had been using the Oxygen Plasma theme for a long time ─ which is of course a different thing from the Oxygen application theme, but it’s related ─ until an update broke that and I had to switch to a different theme.

Breeze is the builtin theme from KDE upstream, and Breath2 is Manjaro’s slightly modified version of that. See if switching to the Breeze or Breath2 themes fixes things ─ note: you may have to log out and back in for the caches to be cleared.

If you don’t like the Breeze or Breath themes, then I can recommend the theme I’m using, because I know that one works, and like Oxygen, it’s a non-flat theme. But you have to be sure that you can get Kate to work first, or otherwise put, that the theme is indeed the culprit.

@Aragorn Did you read latest update #announcements for your branch before updating?

Kde oxygen was by default with the last Manjaro kde iso I tested, this year

No issue with kate on my manjaro usb stick with the last update
No issue with kate on my arm devices

unfortunately Breeze and Breath2 are not able to solve the issue with kate…

All my devices (x86 64 and arm) are running well with kde oxygen :slight_smile:

What is the output of… :arrow_down:

ll /usr/lib/libKF5TextEditor.so.5

…?

I don’t find this file…

Type this command in a terminal window… :arrow_down:

ll -h /usr/lib/libKF5TextEditor.so.5.81.0

… and paste the output of that command here.

[nicolas@nls-pc ~]$ ll -h /usr/lib/libKF5TextEditor.so.5.81.0
bash: ll: command not found

I’m not a power user

My apologies. ll is an alias on my system. Try this one instead… :arrow_down:

ls -lh /usr/lib/libKF5TextEditor.so.5.81.0

it looks better now

[nicolas@nls-pc ~]$ ls -lh /usr/lib/libKF5TextEditor.so.5.81.0
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 3,6M avril  4 16:45 /usr/lib/libKF5TextEditor.so.5.81.0
[nicolas@nls-pc ~]$ 

That file is at the correct version. So even though Kate throws an error about that file, the file itself is okay. But Kate calls it via a symlink, so can you paste the outcome of the following?

ls -l /usr/lib/libKF5TextEditor.so.5
[nicolas@nls-pc ~]$ ls -l /usr/lib/libKF5TextEditor.so.5
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 26 avril  4 16:45 /usr/lib/libKF5TextEditor.so.5 -> libKF5TextEditor.so.5.81.0
[nicolas@nls-pc ~]$ 

So the link exists as well, which again means that there’s nothing wrong there. That makes me wonder where the problem lies. :thinking:

I’ll tell you what you could do… You could create a test account on your system, log into that, and then check whether Kate works if you start it there. If it does, then that means that the problem must be situated in the home directory of your main account.

1 Like

Seems to be an upstream bug - check the known issues of the recent announcement for a workaround:

As this workaround adds an IgnorePKG line to /etc/pacman.conf: be sure to remove that when the workaround is no longer needed or your kio package will stay on it’s downgraded version and probably cause problems at some point in the future.

1 Like

Hi, @Aragorn

look at that, I try the solution, but something go wrong with sudo pacman -U...

[nicolas@nls-pc ~]$ wget https://archive.archlinux.org/packages/k/kio/kio-5.79.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
--2021-04-19 09:12:40--  https://archive.archlinux.org/packages/k/kio/kio-5.79.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
Loaded CA certificate '/etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt'
Resolving archive.archlinux.org (archive.archlinux.org)... 2a01:4f8:242:5614::2, 49.12.124.107
Connecting to archive.archlinux.org (archive.archlinux.org)|2a01:4f8:242:5614::2|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 7823325 (7,5M) [application/zstd]
Saving to: ‘kio-5.79.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst’

kio-5.79.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar 100%[==========================================>]   7,46M   353KB/s    in 20s     

2021-04-19 09:13:00 (383 KB/s) - ‘kio-5.79.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst’ saved [7823325/7823325]

[nicolas@nls-pc ~]$ sudo pacman -U kio-5.79.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
[sudo] password for nicolas: 
loading packages...
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
:: kio and kio-git are in conflict. Remove kio-git? [y/N] y
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: removing kio-git breaks dependency 'kio-git' required by kdeclarative-git
:: removing kio-git breaks dependency 'kio-git' required by kinit-git
:: removing kio-git breaks dependency 'kio-git' required by knewstuff-git
[nicolas@nls-pc ~]$ sudo echo "IgnorePkg = kio" >> /etc/pacman.conf
bash: /etc/pacman.conf: Permission denied
[nicolas@nls-pc ~]$ 

*-git packages should not be there, replace them with their non-git counterpart.
If one step of a workaround is not working (downgrading package) - do not continue blindly!

That sudo command is plain wrong and should be corrected I’ve corrected it in that wiki post:

$ echo "IgnorePkg = kio" | sudo tee -a /etc/pacman.conf
1 Like

is it correct like that ?

wget https://archive.archlinux.org/packages/k/kio/kio-5.79.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
sudo pacman -U kio-5.79.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
echo "IgnorePkg = kio" | sudo tee -a /etc/pacman.conf

Yes, but that has the same problem as you already showed: kio won’t get installed due to those * -git packages not having their dependencies met. They need to be replaced with their non -git counterparts.

• kdeclarative-git
  • kinit-git
  • knewstuff-git

It could very well be the case that fixing those *-git-accidents also “repairs” the initial kio-problem you have as you seem to also have kio-git installed (and need to replace it with kio).

1 Like