Issues with OpenCL Detection on NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 After Installing DaVinci Resolve via AUR

Hello,

I’m experiencing issues with OpenCL not being detected on my system, specifically after installing DaVinci Resolve from the AUR. I would appreciate any guidance or suggestions to resolve this issue.

System Information:

• GPU Model: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660
  • Operating System: 23.1.0
  • Kernel Version: 6.1.64-1-MANJARO
  • DE/WM: KDE Plasma
    Problem Description:
    DaVinci Resolve, installed via the AUR, is not detecting my GPU for CUDA/OpenCL processing. Running clinfo shows no platforms, indicating an issue with OpenCL detection.

Steps Taken:

1. Installed DaVinci Resolve from the AUR.
  2. Encountered GPU processing mode error in DaVinci Resolve.
  3. Updated and reinstalled various packages, including Pango and appstream-qt.
  4. Installed CUDA Toolkit (version 12.3, then switched to 11.1 to match NVIDIA driver compatibility).
  5. Ran the davinci-resolve-checker script, which indicated an issue with OpenCL not detecting any platforms.
  6. Reinstalled NVIDIA drivers (video-nvidia-470xx) and OpenCL (opencl-nvidia).
  7. Tried adjusting the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable to include the path where libOpenCL.so is located.

Command Outputs:

• nvidia-smi output:
Sat Dec  2 13:22:37 2023       
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| NVIDIA-SMI 470.223.02   Driver Version: 470.223.02   CUDA Version: 11.4     |
|-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+
| GPU  Name        Persistence-M| Bus-Id        Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC |
| Fan  Temp  Perf  Pwr:Usage/Cap|         Memory-Usage | GPU-Util  Compute M. |
|                               |                      |               MIG M. |
|===============================+======================+======================|
|   0  NVIDIA GeForce ...  Off  | 00000000:03:00.0 N/A |                  N/A |
| 40%   39C    P8    N/A /  N/A |    414MiB /  1991MiB |     N/A      Default |
|                               |                      |                  N/A |
+-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+

| Processes:                                                                  |
|  GPU   GI   CI        PID   Type   Process name                  GPU Memory |
|        ID   ID                                                   Usage      |
|=============================================================================|
|  No running processes found                                                 |
  • clinfo output:
    Number of platforms 0
  • find / -name libOpenCL.so output:
  /home/username/.cache/yay/cuda-11.1/src/builds/cuda_cudart/targets/x86_64-linux/lib/libOpenCL.so
  /opt/cuda-11.1/targets/x86_64-linux/lib/libOpenCL.so
  /usr/lib/libOpenCL.so

Additional Observations:

• OpenGL appears to be functioning correctly (glxinfo -B and glxgears tests run without issues).
  • The issue seems specific to OpenCL’s interaction with the NVIDIA driver.

Request for Help:
I’m looking for advice on troubleshooting this OpenCL issue further or any configuration steps I might have missed. If anyone has experienced similar issues or has insights specific to the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 or the Manjaro setup, your input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help :slight_smile:

Hi @thursday_bw

The forum does support a small subset of markdown, however, tables are not part of that subset. You should probably reformat those.

As a first-time user, firstly, welcome to the Manjaro forum.

Before addressing any of your issues, please read the following linked information to allow others to help you more effectively:

There are many more useful tips in the Tutorials category (left-hand site menu) if you care to look for yourself.

Once you can confidently post information in accordance with forum guidelines, output of these commands, at a minimum, will no doubt be appreciated:

inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host --width
journalctl --boot=-1 --priority=3 --catalog --no-pager

I hope this helps in the meantime. Cheers.

Aside:- I had (probably still have) a GF GTX 660 many years ago, and only ever found it useful for Windows. Depending on your needs, you might consider something more updated; perhaps a Radeon RX 580/590 which has wide Linux support; that is, if you’re not somehow glued to the Nvidia ecosystem.

Thanks, but that is the card that I am stuck with for the moment.
Although I am considering trading it for something of a similar spec but more compatible.

In the meantime I am just living without DaVinci resolve and using kdenlive. I’m aware Nvidia support on Linux is, for lack of better wording, not so hot.

Thanks for the links, I’ll have a read.

1 Like

Nvidia typically don’t seem very interested in providing much more than rudimentary and/or outdated support for Linux in general. The Linux community is left to fill in the gaps as best they can; Nvidia’s licensing generally forbids any other practical solutions. Yup, it sucks royal.

At least you have kdenlive as a fallback in the meantime; that’s some consolation, at least. I tend to use Blender fairly often which, right now, crashes on launch (only with amdgpu), so I share your pain. :wink:

Aside:- I just found All versions of kdenlive crash on startup; take even more consolation from knowing not to use a containerized version of kdenlive. Cheers.

1 Like

Thanks… Yeah I have a fallback. I am familiar with KdenLive but I wanted to have a look at Davinci Resolve. My main motivation of posting this issue was, well if I could resolve it it would possibly help someone else. I gave it a good shot myself.
I’m no professional video editor, but I seem to have a knack for it, I say that to preface that I haven’t used any other editors and Kdenlive seems pretty dang capable from that perspective.