Is there a way to hide fonts without uninstalling them?

There are 605 Noto fonts on my system (with many different languages that I cannot use) that clutter up the font selection in various programs. They all come from a single package that is an XFCE dependency, so can’t be removed selectively or in whole.

The post [Can removing Noto font be an issue? - #3 by Aragorn] says that fonts can be hidden from applications in the System Settings manager. I don’t have any program called “System Settings”. There is the Settings > Settings Manager that has an Appearance section with a fonts section, but it has nothing about hiding fonts. There is also the Manjaro Settings Editor and the Settings Editor, neither of which have anything about fonts.

Is there a way to hide certain fonts so they don’t show up in font selector?

1 Like

I’ve done various things to tame the font madness on Manjaro. By far the easiest is to install noto-fonts-lite from the AUR. It will remove all the hundreds of Noto fonts you don’t want. Then uninstalling any others you don’t want is a piece of cake.

2 Likes

Another way here :
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=230195

I followed this:

Tip: Managing fonts - General system - EndeavourOS

I don’t have font clutter anymore! It’s amazing!

1 Like

I don’t have any program called “System Settings”. There is the Settings > Settings Manager that has an Appearance section with a fonts section, but it has nothing about hiding fonts.

That program is a part of KDE Plasma and not XFCE

If you have noto-fonts-extra package remove it, and keep only noto-fonts. If you still find the list too much big, remove all noto-fonts packages and install noto-fonts-lite from AUR.

1 Like

Note necessary with my tip. And as a double bonus, it’s D.E. independent. :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.