Inxi -Fazy says pipewire is running, but I cannot delete it as Add/Remove says it isnt installed?

Hello …

Yes it was …

And thx … Seems a bit obvious after you suggested it that way :slight_smile:

it looks like you have installed 2 pipewire packages, so if you dont want it, uninstall them

Hi …

Ive tried to uninstall them and Im getting a load of dependency issues come up … its seems that it wont let me remove the thing the dependencies rely on :grimacing:

So still in situ where I cannot remove pipewire :frowning:

You could try installing the package manjaro-pulse. It is set to conflict with pipewire packages so it should automatically remove the conflicting packages on install.

Hi and thx for the reply :slight_smile:

My “manjaro-pulse” is already installed.

Would it hurt it if tried removing it and then re-installing … Or is there a possibility that I could further mess up a load of different dependencies in the process?

From the documentation, if the packages can’t be removed, you may still at least disable the related services.

systemctl --user disable --now pipewire-pulse.service
systemctl --user disable --now pipewire-pulse.socket

Please avoid posting a screenshot for justifying everything. If you do want to justify your reply, please prefer using command outputs as much as possible.

And there’s me thinking I had covered all the bases :innocent: … I`ll give that a go & thank you for the advice!

The other thing you might want to try is installing the manjaro-pipewire package. Then once that’s done install the manjaro-pulse package. I dont THINK anything should be messed up by doing so as both packages conflict with each other.

Ok … So … Its just errors, errors, errors in this camp im afraid :joy:

   ~  systemctl --user disable --now pipewire-pulse.service                                                                                        ✔ 
Failed to disable unit: Unit file pipewire-pulse.service does not exist.
    ~  systemctl --user disable --now pipewire-pulse.socket                                                                                       1 ✘ 
Failed to disable unit: Unit file pipewire-pulse.socket does not exist.

If I try and install the manjaro-pipewire package I get these errors pop up ( Ive had them before ) - Failed to prepare transaction … The build files say

pkgname=anbox-modules-dkms-git
_pkgname=anbox-modules
pkgver=r38.8148a16
pkgrel=5
pkgdesc="Kernel modules for Anbox or Waydroid (DKMS)"
arch=(x86_64)
url="https://github.com/choff/$_pkgname"
license=('GPL')
depends=('dkms')
makedepends=('git')
provides=("${pkgname%-git}")
conflicts=("${pkgname%-git}")
source=("git+$url#branch=master")
sha256sums=('SKIP')

pkgver() {
	cd "$srcdir/$_pkgname/"
	printf "r%s.%s" "$(git rev-list --count HEAD)" "$(git rev-parse --short HEAD)"
}

prepare() {
	cd "$srcdir/$_pkgname/"
	sed -i "s/^PACKAGE_VERSION=\".*\"$/PACKAGE_VERSION=\"$pkgver\"/g" ./**/dkms.conf
	# needed for linux 5.18
	# https://github.com/choff/anbox-modules/pull/2
	sed -i '1s/^/#include <linux\/task_work.h>\n/' binder/deps.c
	# this should work with all Arch Linux kernels (including linux-lts)
	# https://github.com/choff/anbox-modules/pull/1#issuecomment-974865917
	#sed -i 's/^#if (LINUX_VERSION_CODE >= KERNEL_VERSION(5,15,2))$/#if 1/g' binder/binder.c
}

package() {
	cd "$srcdir/$_pkgname/"
	install -Dm644 anbox.conf "$pkgdir/usr/lib/modules-load.d/$_pkgname.conf"
	install -Dm644 99-anbox.rules "$pkgdir/usr/lib/udev/rules.d/99-$_pkgname.rules"
	install -dm755 "$pkgdir/usr/src/"
	cp -rT ashmem "$pkgdir/usr/src/anbox-ashmem-$pkgver"
	cp -rT binder "$pkgdir/usr/src/anbox-binder-$pkgver"
}
- removing jack2 breaks dependency 'jack2' required by jack2-dbus
- removing pulseaudio breaks dependency 'pulseaudio=16.0-1' required by pulseaudio-jack

target not found: anbox-modules-dkms-git

you are running 5.15.46 kernel, so you didnt run the latest stable update

Not yet … Im still a linux noob and after formatting my machine approx 20 times last year every time a update happened in PopOs & broke the Amdgpu-pro dependencies ( bleeding long story) … I have a mass fear of updating just because. :frowning:

Would just updating my kernel really be enough to fix these issues?

Im half considering just downloading the lastest Iso and installing from scratch if Pipewire has already taken over … Would it be setup from the get go if I did that?

Forget about that inxi output. And forget about removing pipewire package. Why is this coming up every few days. Many things depend on pipewire even if it is not in use.

If you want to remove package x and 100 things depend on it, isn’t this a big enough clue by itself, that it most probably shouldn’t be removed?

How to know which audio server you are running?

pactl info

If you get Server Name: pulseaudio then you are using PulseAudio.
If you get Server Name: PulseAudio (on PipeWire 0.3.52) then you are using PipeWire.

3 Likes

I just installed the latest release and I don’t remember pipewire being setup by default.

Can you do me a favour and post output of:

grep -m1 pipewire /var/log/pacman.log && stat /

You are kind of “advice-resistent”. Remove the aur/git pacages first (i.e.: you have both pipewire-alsa and pipewire-alsa-git). Remove that mess, get a clean setup, update you system and then ask for advice for what you want to archive.

1 Like

Hi & thx for the input.

Here is my output - I am running pulse

Server String: /run/user/1000/pulse/native
Library Protocol Version: 35
Server Protocol Version: 35
Is Local: yes
Client Index: 16
Tile Size: 65472
User Name: rob
Host Name: rob-Manj-22
Server Name: pulseaudio
Server Version: 16.0
Default Sample Specification: s16le 2ch 44100Hz
Default Channel Map: front-left,front-right
Default Sink: alsa_output.usb-Plantronics_Plantronics_Blackwire_3220_Series_AD024E0046484CA98515CE4E74B9607C-00.analog-stereo
Default Source: alsa_output.usb-Plantronics_Plantronics_Blackwire_3220_Series_AD024E0046484CA98515CE4E74B9607C-00.analog-stereo.monitor
Cookie: 88d9:94a4

So basically dont remove anything as there are obviously some pipewire dependencies (steam I think ) and continue just to use pulse. (This was my inital thought after going thru a lot of guides & suggestions found on here after a week of looking ). So I feel that Im kinda back at square one now with my inital problem.

TLDR … Im getting errors from modules on boot that have “NOTHING” to do with PEffects as I have been told by the dude who supports it on github.

The modules that are causing an issue cannot be removed because they are being used by Timeshift & gnome-disk-utility … Of which I dont now wish to remove as I like using them.

What I need to know if how I can go about trying to remove the modules from loading up in PEffects as they are not needed n so shouldnt cause a issue if I remove some lines (I assume via a config file).

I do not know how to do this or what approach I should take to resolve this?

Imo … This has nothing to do with Pulse or flatpak its to do with a config file … one that I need to edit … am I thinking right or am I missing something obvious?

P.s … If I am thinking correct, do you know what path(s) im likely to run across the config file :smiley:

Sorry for my typos … Im dyslexic

[2021-11-26T21:22:08+0000] [ALPM] upgraded pipewire (1:0.3.38-1 -> 1:0.3.40-1)
  File: /
  Size: 4096            Blocks: 8          IO Block: 4096   directory
Device: 8,1     Inode: 2           Links: 17
Access: (0755/drwxr-xr-x)  Uid: (    0/    root)   Gid: (    0/    root)
Access: 2022-02-04 00:40:33.431954513 +0000
Modify: 2022-06-15 18:54:53.323085596 +0100
Change: 2022-06-15 18:54:53.323085596 +0100
 Birth: 2021-11-17 02:08:36.000000000 +0000

Ill give it a go thx :slight_smile:

I’ll second what @banjo said. Go through your pipewire list and remove any aur/git packages. AFAIK it’s a very bad idea to have repo and aur versions of the same package installed on top of each other.

https://arcolinux.com/clean-up-your-computer-and-delete-the-pacman-cache/

Would running the -S and the -U command help? … Or does this link have nothing to do with what were are talking about?