Internet no longer functioning

When it is confirmed that it is broken - buy another one that fits the slot and that is known to work.
It likely does not have to be the exact same model.
Anything a few years old should do.

… when it is confirmed that it is broken - which, right now, it certainly looks like it

But first get to it, take it out, clean the contacts, put it back in …

Got it, thanks for your help everyone although it hasnt lead to the best conclusion.

… it’s not concluded yet until you have done at least this …

Yes I am still going to do that.

I just noticed a logical blunder I made:
the thing is still showing up in

inxi -Fazy

for example
just with no driver.

So I’m not at all sure that it is broken - it is still recognized and listed by the OS.

I’ve got no further ideas, though.

Is there a way to get the drivers for it then? Not sure how that would go along with it not working in arch or the live install however.

… that is what I don’t know - it did work, it should still just work, but it suddenly doesn’t
and I have no idea why - or how to attempt to fix it
Sorry!

linux-firmware (and a bug with it?) was mentioned further up
check that

Its alright just dont really wanna replace/reseat the wifi module because its behind a heatsink that needs to be unscrewed from the back… not in the mood to take apart my entire pc.

kernel patch above,
though now that I look at the thread…
The author says ‘disregard’, because among other things the changes are in the wireless-next repo.
One arch user even uploaded patched builds to gdrive, but its 6.5-arch :person_shrugging:

the thing is still recognized / seen by the OS - and a driver did exist and should still exist
see above: linux-firmware was mentioned

Downgrading linux firmware did not fix, how would the patching solutions be done since that seems to be for linux 5

Its pretty sure its a Hardware error… if you still looking for software errors, its just time waste.

I found this post#2 in MediaTek Device 7922 wifi not working which suggests:

I solved that last error by doing a cold boot, seems it’s a known issue for this wifi/bluetooth chip. It’s performance also seems to be a bit up and down. Worst case i can swap it out for one with higher linux compatibility.

… which points to mt7921e 0000:09:00.0: hardware init failed as the source for this revelation:

MediaTek is known for its bugs. Check, that you are running kernel >= 5.18.
After this, you should unplug your pc from the outlet or turn of switch on the PSU. Then spam turn on button multiple times for several seconds to discharge capacitors on the motherboard. Wi-Fi controller will reset its internal state and will start working after this.

These may (or may not) be related. Still, it will be interesting to confirm or deny the purported resolution.

The USB-WiFi GitHub page may prove interesting reading, generally.

Otherwise, choose a replacement based on known and demonstrated Linux compatibilty, rather than price. That’s all I can suggest. Cheers.

It comes as no surprise the device works with Windows - all hardware must comply with Microsoft standards before the vendor is allowed to state the device Work with Windows.

A search reveals a lot of issues with that particular chipset see archlinux MT7922 - searxng

Perhaps you can find help in this part of USB-WiFi from above reference - this topic from [SOLVED]Network controller: MEDIATEK Corp. MT7922 802.11ax PCI Express / Laptop Issues / Arch Linux Forums points to the same solution

Ok an update. I was just sitting at the homescreen looked over and its alive again… im going to be switching over to ethernet however since this is too unreliable.

Did you also just switch the computer on after being off for a little while?

No I rebooted it this morning, no internet, let it sit for like a hour came back and it was here.

As if by magic!

I suspect letting it cool off, so to speak, was probably beneficial. The posts I referenced earlier (starting from a cold boot) were probably coincidental. It seems much as was said though, that this particular card is flaky, at best; or rather, the Linux drivers available. Not a good combination.

Ethernet is a better choice, regardless; for general speed/performance. At least you have that option. Look for a better WiFi card when it suits you, and not because you’re forced to. :wink:

Indeed. Thank you for you help.

Nah, it isn’t coincidental, it’s been a recurring issue with this card, but it might not be only the card that’s the issue but also something in the laptop it’s installed on on my side. Sometimes one of my SSDs isn’t detected and I have to cold boot to solve that particular issue as well.

The card has been quite obedient for me as of late though, I think there was a driver update for it in one of the more recent kernels (6.6 maybe?) that’s helping.

You can see from this though MediaTek MT7922 802.11ax PCI Express Wireless Network Adapter

That this card is very up and down on linux. It’s one of the worse wifi cards to have, and tbh isn’t that great on windows either.