Installed NVIDIA Packages, now Linux won't boot

Hey everyone,

so i tried installing nvidia packages on the system. After several attempts, I managed to install them successfully. Well… almost. I then rebooted my system and accidentally booted it into windows (dont know if that had to do with any of the errors I was getting. Im mentioning it just in case). After realising that I booted back into linux only to find out that it wouldnt boot. So I had to open the terminal (ctrl alt f2). After trying a bunch of things I decided to uninstall the nvidia packages. I uninstalled two but most of them were MHWD. I tried uninstalling those two but the system wouldnt let me since It said it would break MHWD dependencies. I am unsure as to what to do. I have tried a bunch of things and it still isnt working. Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

Hello. Which versions exactly did you try to remove/install?

Hello,

At least you started honest. Indeed kjsghsdjkghqeotpwoebn as a bunch of things will never help. :slight_smile:
As for removing packages, well there are those related to MHWD itself, but not the drivers, and then are the drivers installed trough MHWD.
So, if you removed MHWD packages, then is not ok.

Please be as specific is possible.
Here is how to install/remove Drivers trough MHWD
https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Configure_Graphics_Cards
And here is how to provide good information for us in order to help you.

I’ll try to explain EVERYTHING as much as I can. A friend told me that I’ll have to install the NVIDIA packages for my graphics card to work on Linux. So I did that. After seeing that the installation was complete, I rebooted my system. Since I have it on default for the GRUB to boot me in Windows automatically after 20 seconds, It booted me on windows. Once I realised that, I rebooted my system again and tried to boot into Linux, but to my surprise, my screen went black. My friend told me to open the terminal by pressing CTRL+ALT+F2. Then he told me to uninstall all of the NVIDIA Packages I had installed because they wouldn’t let me boot into Linux. As to why that happened, well I’m not sure. He told me it might’ve been because I accidentally booted Windows after installing and told me to uninstall EVERY NVIDIA package I had installed. It took me a while to find the names of the packages.

Installed NVIDIA Packages
lib32-nvidia-450xx-utils 450.66-1
linux57-nvidia-450xx 450 66-4
mhwd-nvidia-340xx 340.108-1
mhwd-nvidia-390xx 390.132-1
mhwd-nvidia-418xx 418.113-1
mhwd-nvidia-430xx 430.64-1.0
mhwd-nvidia-435xx 435.21-1.0
mhwd-nvidia-440xx 440.100-1
mhwd-nvidia-450xx 450.66-1
nvidia-450xx-utils 450.66-1

Here are the packages. So, since I had them all in front of me, I started uninstalling. I uninstalled the top two packages however, I couldn’t do the same with the ones named MHWD. I didnt try uninstalling the last package so I just turned my system off as I couldn;t find a way to solve this. Then my friend told me to go on the arch linux wiki on to nouveau and to follow the instructions on “Keep NVIDIA Driver Installed”. Apparently it wanted me to blacklist nouveau inside a file, however there was nothing written in the files mentioned in the website. After that I really gave up on trying to fix it myself and came on here hoping to get an answer

EDIT: Forgot to mention that after uninstalling the top two packages mentioned in the list and rebooting, this is the error it showed me: Failed to start simple desktop display manager

Installed NVIDIA Packages
lib32-nvidia-450xx-utils 450.66-1
linux57-nvidia-450xx 450 66-4
mhwd-nvidia-340xx 340.108-1
mhwd-nvidia-390xx 390.132-1
mhwd-nvidia-418xx 418.113-1
mhwd-nvidia-430xx 430.64-1.0
mhwd-nvidia-435xx 435.21-1.0
mhwd-nvidia-440xx 440.100-1
mhwd-nvidia-450xx 450.66-1
nvidia-450xx-utils 450.66-1

mhwd-* packages are not actual drivers, they are basically metadata. No need to touch them. Please provide the output of inxi -Fza. Is this a laptop with two GPUs or not? Please always install GPU drivers using mhwd.

Good thing you didn’t uninstall the mhwd packages.
Could you provide the outputs of mhwd -li , mhwd -l and inxi -Gazy?
You can upload them also via the terminal by adding | curl -F 'f:1=<-' ix.io to the end of the command and will receive a link that you can post here, although you might need to post it as code since you don’t have reached basic status yet.

it says could not resolve host: ix.io

https://ibb.co/wWDdZNY

https://ibb.co/khk2GzP

You have hybrid graphics. You shouldn’t have install the video-nvidia-* driver. Please run sudo mhwd -li and remove everything video-nvidia-* using sudo mhwd -r pci <name_here>. And install video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-450xx-prime using sudo mhwd -i pci video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-450xx-prime.

2 Likes

I thought i wasnt supposed to uninstall MHWD related packages…?

Ahhh ok lets get going then. Let’s first remove the old drivers.
mhwd -r pci video-linux and mhwd -r pci video-nvidia-450xx should do that.
Then we need to install the prime drivers since it seems you use a laptop.
mhwd -i pci video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-450xx-prime should do it.
It could be though that you would need to install the modesetting drivers first, which you can do with mhwd -i pci video-modesetting

These are the drivers managed via the mhwd application, not the mhwd packages themselves. So don’t worry to much. :wink:

1 Like

That won’t uninstall mhwd-* packages. You use mhwd to uninstall other stuff.

mhwd -r video-nvidia-450xx didnt work. Says its the incorrect way of the use of remove function

Oh, sorry, forgot the pci when writing. Corrected the command in the post.

mhwd -i pci video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-450xx now it says that the config video-… doesnt exist.

Is your system up to date? First things first.

Not sure. Should be

You better make sure then, Manjaro doesn’t support partial upgrade. Update system first, then install drivers.

sudo pacman-mirrors --country United_Kingdom,Germany,France
sudo pacman -Syyu