[How To] Install run Manjaro ARM on Amlogic TV Boxes with S922X - S905X3 SOC

Was is full screen ?
Try this
glmark2 -s 1920x1080

Currently we dont have archive for arm yet. I wl check in my personal archive if your lucky I might upload it for you.

oops, tested glmark2 -s 1920x1080 and only achieved 25. Also wonder why I can find most of the repo versions from ( Index of /aarm/packages/ ) but not the Linux-Vim ; )

thanks,

That looks like arch linux arm repo. Not Manjaro Arm repo. linux-vim is packaged and maintained by manjaro team.

That link does not work.

Hello everyone and first thank you @spikerguy
I have a gtking pro (s / n: SA9H ā€¦=> DDR4 ), I flashed Manjaro-ARM-xfce-vim3-21.03.img on a USB key and entered gtking-pro.dtb in extlinux.conf
I managed to start Manjaro if I only have my USB key connected and nothing else on the other USB sockets ā€¦(Strange, no ?)
I have the lines of code of boot until the moment it writes ā€œstarting kernelā€ and then I no longer have an hdmi signal (black screen) ā€¦ I was able to continue the installation via an SSH connection until reboot but still loss of hdmi signal after ā€œstarting kernelā€ ā€¦
Should I use another dtb or do some configuration to find my screen? I only have access to the CLI via SSH ā€¦ Thanks for your help ā€¦

Edit / I found for the hdmi signal, by adding a line in / etc / environment
On the other hand, I had to connect my keyboard / mouse (Logitech DiNovo mini) to USB it worked, I was able to log in, launch firefox, start typing a search and then nothing ā€¦ ā€œFreezeā€ ā€¦
Maybe all this is only related to the fact of booting on USB but there is a problemā€¦

Hi AC2N,
At this point in time, using the chainloader u-boot.ext, if you are using USB Flash boot it will only boot up when the USB Flash with the boot image inserted on USB OTG port and no other USB drive on any other USB Ports. If your Boot image is on SD Card you do have this limitation. I have written up my experience on Manjaro arm on Amlogic Tv box? - #748 by JFL (post #737).

On post #739 I shared how to install new Manjaro Arm on GT King Pro and how to avoid it to system freeze/kernel panic (unique to GT King/Pro).

For your info, the current linux-vim 5.11-4-1, linux-vim 5.11.7-1 and linux-vim 5.11.11-1 seems to cause system freeze/kernel panic on GT King Pro (might be specific to my device, I also have SA9HHā€¦). For the time being linux mainline kernel works better on my device.

1 Like

Hi, try to edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/01-panfrost.conf and set to ā€œGlamourā€
This will activate panfrost on 21.04. I have the same box.
my score:
glmark2-es2 --fullscreen -scores 60 CPU-Performance
glmark2-es2- 187

After several failed attempts to flash Manjaro to EMMC i decided to ask help here.
X96 Max Plus.SD card.If i use install-aml-emmc.sh i see black screen after reboot. Sd card is ejected.
gpartet shows different size of boot partitions SD and EMMC. if i insert SD card i can boot from it but not EMMC. I ve used USB_Burning_tool twice already, because i tried to do some ā€œtricksā€ with gparted)) . With armbian script i didnt have this issue/ and armbian starts fromEMMC.

yes already tested Manjaro Arm 21.04 Mate and manually edit the ā€œAccelMethodā€ ā€œglamorā€ - very good.

thanks,

1 Like

I tested ā€œHK1Boxā€ S905x3 4GB RAM, 32GB emmc.

With ā€œmeson-sm1-sei610.dtbā€ & ā€œmeson-g12a-sei510.dtbā€ it runs, but no Ethernet, Wifi or Bluetooth.

With ā€œmeson-g12a-x96-max.dtbā€ No Sound, Wifi or Bluetooth, but Ethernet works (and it seems to do around 200mbit as well). Edit: build in eMMC also doesnā€™t seem to work :frowning:

Edit: With ā€œmeson-sm1-khadas-vim3l.dtbā€ Ethernet and eMMC seems to work. Didnā€™t yet test other stuff as I am mainly interested in headless server use. But there seem to be less error messages when booting. Edit: hmm installing the system on the emmc seems to fail though. Edit: also the USB2 port seems broken with this.

Apparently there used to be some hacked together dtb files combining these two, but all the links on the Armbian forums are dead. Anyone got an idea?

I also unsucessfully tried this box: ā€œH96Max (Model X3)ā€ S905x3 4GB RAM, 32GB emmc.

ā€œmeson-sm1-sei610.dtbā€, ā€œmeson-g12a-sei510.dtbā€, ā€œmeson-sm1-khadas-vim3l.dtbā€ & ā€œmeson-g12a-x96-max.dtbā€ result in a boot-loop with the initial uboot showing but then swtching back to the H96Max logo.

Suggestions apprechiated.

What about meson-sm1-khadas-vim3l.dtb?

I was searching a bit on dtb files for generic S905x3 Tvboxes and that one never came up. It is not for a S922 SoC? Edit: ah S905D3 chipset. Might work indeed. Edit2: same boot-loop on the H96Max.

Edit3: With the HK1box the ā€œmeson-sm1-khadas-vim3l.dtbā€ seems to work better, at least Ethernet and eMMC works (Edit: sort of, booting from emmc apparently not). I switched to the minimal image for server use, so not sure what else works, but there are less errors in the console related to bluetooth/wifi, so it might work as well.

So the problem with the install to emmc script seems to be that it copies the ROOT partition fine on the p2 second partition, but there seems to be no p1 first partition for the BOOT partition.

Any idea what could be causing this?

No that is not the only problem coz we have moved to partuid method for extconfig but the core issue is with the new chainloader not being able to support boot from emmc.

Ah, so booting from emmc does not work in general right now? Maybe worth mentioning in the tutorial above so that people like me donā€™t get confused :wink:

2 Likes

agree, i ve bricked my box twice trying to get the system booting from EMMC

1 Like

So after some further tries, it seems like a ā€œh96max-x2-test-bus80-gpu-volt.dtbā€ that I found on the Armbian forum works best with the HK1box and should in theory also work with the H96Max, but I canā€™t get the latter to stop boot-looping.

Hello to everybody
I could really use some help hereā€¦
At first I have a X96 Max Plus with 4Gb/64GB and Manjaro ARM was simply the ONLY ONE distro that managed to load on this TV boxā€¦ (sry till a couple days I was completely unaware)
Well I used the ā€œmeson-sm1-sei610.dtbā€ for anyone interested.
But not everything is ā€œperfectā€.
The main issue is that the screen is hoping constantly left and rightā€¦(i donā€™t know if I am describing it correctly but is strange)
And 2nd for now only Wifi is working the LAN (Gigabit) wonā€™t work
Any help appreciated

Hi spikerguy and all Manjaro TV box users!

I received my T95 MAX Plus and installed Manjaro after quickly testing the hardware under Android. I tried the latest Manjaro vim3 images first using the meson-sm1-sei610.dtb but I failed to get any of them to boot. Iā€™d get as far as seeing the manjaro logo and an infinitely spinning disc icon but that was as far as it went so I had to revert to using the 20.12 images instead, specifically Manjaro-ARM-mate-vim3-20.12.img because I prefer MATE. After installing from a 20.12 vim3 image I was able to update to the latest packages.

Iā€™ve not tested BT but otherwise everything is working (ethernet, USB 2 and 3, eMMC is detected) on my T95 MAX Plus except analogue audio out and wifi. HDMI audio works but not the AV socket. I tested that both wifi and the headphone jack work OK under Android. I have run sudo systemctl enable sound --now and experimented with a few other dtb files as well as messed with the various ALSA mixer settings but Iā€™ve not been able to get analogue audio nor wifi to work. If anyone knows of a better dtb for this box then please let me know but Iā€™ve not seen anyone else mention the T95 MAX Plus on here yet so I might have to cook up my own dtb to get everything working.

I have tried running /boot/install-aml-emmc.sh but I was not able to boot Manjaro from my eMMC afterwards. Maybe this only works with specific TV boxes currently or is the script broke? lsblk was showing my emmc and the script seemed to run OK, it took a sane amount of time to complete. Iā€™ll prob just have to flash another Android ROM back on if the script is broken. I was going to save its output but I accidentally closed its window before I got the chance to copy its output. Its not a big deal as I can still boot Manjaro off the (very slow) sd card.

My sd card isnā€™t slow tho, its a 64 GB class 10 so I get ~90 MB/s speeds using it on my PC. I presume that the SD card reader in my box is crap or could a better DTB or tweaked kernel settings fix this too?

Iā€™m going to try to build the ffmpeg-m2m PKGBUILD next to see if I can get hardware video decoding working with mpv. I have read reports on this forum of at least a couple of people who have supposedly got it working so thatā€™s encouraging! Iā€™m disappointed with the video decoding ability of the RPi 4 so Iā€™m hoping this TV box will be able to play 4K vids better, eventually.

EDIT

Iā€™ve just finished reading this thread in full and it seems that emmc boot isnā€™t currently an option so please could you edit the first post to note this please spikerguy?

I may have found the solution to my dtb issues, if they are caused by dtb. After Iā€™ve reflashed Android (presuming I can find the stock image) Iā€™ll have to try ripping the dtb with:

Although with the wifi I could be unlucky and have an unsupported chipset. Prob have to bust it open to know for sure.