Honestly, a manjaro edition with System 76' Cosmic would be amazing

Thing is, Cosmic / Pop Shell is not a separate DE, it’s just GNOME heavily customized. All it would require is Pop’s packages and a patched GNOME Control Center as a meta package to install everything that could easily be removed to revert back.

2 Likes

Not to mention Gnome 3.38.

And considering how smooth 40 is, that would be quite the step backwards. Still Cosmic looks amazing so maybe if all the stars align :grin:

@Yochanan

Also, I just found out that they have integrated LVFS into the gnome control center. It would be great once we do have COSMIC in the future to have this also.

1 Like

System76 is killing it tbh. Too bad it’s Ubuntu based. I did run Pop for a couple of months and it was really impressive but I missed Manjaro.

Yes, but the patch will only work for System76 hardware. As the article explains, they also have the standalone Firmware Manager (available in the AUR) for other hardware. There’s also GNOME Firmware available in the community repo.

For those who do have System76 hardware, I have gnome-control-center-system76 in the AUR (Manjaro edition here).

2 Likes

There are other downsides of current COSMIC and pop-shell in general. For example, lack of Wayland support. I’ve updated my Ubuntu install to Pop and although I like what I see (they made Gnome usable and kinda pretty) so far, there’s no option to run all this beauty on Wayland as far as I can tell.

But they did a very good work anyway. I am even able to keep Secure Boot enabled and continue using Ubuntu’s grub. Switching graphics works too.

Ubuntu is planning on enabling Wayland for NVIDIA with 21.10, so maybe Pop_OS! 21.10 will add Wayland support.

Here’s a preview of COSMIC installed in Manjaro:

4 Likes

This looks so cool… available on Manjaro for others or ?

This does still need Gnome 3.38 right? Until they adopt Gnome 40 in the (holefully) near future?

Not yet, that’s just a preview of what’s currently working.

No, there’s some GNOME 40 compatibility now, but not everything works yet.

1 Like

@Yochanan

Is Wayland also being worked on the COSMIC Gnome 40 build?

As I said above:

3 Likes

PopOS has released its beta for 21.10. As far as i can tell most things, besides application overview are working for gnome 40. Hope they soon iron out those few issues. Would love to use that desktop on my Manjaro system :smiley:

Once this issue is resolved, COSMIC might be ready to port over:

EDIT: It’s been fixed and turned it it didn’t matter too much.

3 Likes

It was amazing to use but cant beat the experience of using manjaro with aur.

Would you believe the biggest show stopper porting this over was a symlink I forgot to create?

COSMIC is coming soon™…

EDIT: Screenshots are now in the post linked below.

5 Likes

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.