Help with First install on a 2 gpu notebook Dell Inspiron i15 gaming (7567)

Since I’m new in installing manjaro on newer hardware, I need some help in installing it on this notebook model, since I have searched on the internet but there was nothing too solid on what procedures are necessary on this computer. In procedures I’m like, secure boot, hybrid gpu mode and those minors details that I couldn’t get in one thread and those that might emerge later like plug in a hdmi to have a second monitor.

Little of back story to those who want to know:

I’m opening this thread early too, since I bought a new 1tb M.2 ssd drive for it and on this notebook the windows system is installed on this ssd, and I figured I’d like to try to use linux for a while since I can handle the day to day things on linux, but I’m not really good on solving issues related to hardware incompatiblities or not configured correctly. Oh I might also add that I will use the computer with two purposes, Gaming, specially with Minecraft mods (Multi Mc) steam games like rimworld, no man’s sky would be good too. I will also use it in programming purposes, with python, java, node.js and web development.

I hope you guys can help a new user to get to linux and never get out of it.

(Edit 1)
After reading further on the rules of the forum I noted that I provided little to no info about the hardware only the model with has some variation, so now I’ll provide it fully.

Dell inspiron 7567 a30p
Processor: I7 7700HQ 2.80GHZ
Integrated Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 630
Dedicated GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 1050 GTX TI GDDR5 4GB
RAM: 24 GB
SSD: 256GB and in the future 1TB M.2
HDD: 1TB
Audio: Realtek ALC3246 with Waves MaxxAudio Pro <-- (Can this be used on manjaro ?Not major consern)

(Edit 2)
I started making the Github repo tutorial for installing Manjaro Linux on laptops of the model and similar model. if you are willing to contribute Heres the link: Github Repo but I suggest contributing on the forum since I’m going to give credit to everyone.

As far as I see the laptop has an intel and nvidia GPU. In that case, after installation, I suggest opening Manjaro Settings Manager > Hardware Configuration, and then “Auto Install Proprietary Driver”. After a reboot, PRIME render offload should work, and using prime-run program you can run it using the nvidia GPU. If you want to use external outputs of the nvidia GPU, I suggest installing optimus-manager and switching to the “nvidia” mode.

1 Like

So, are those the only “problems” I could run into if I install manajro on this laptop ?
May I ask for links for more clarification on topics of “installing optimus-manager” and it’s uses?
One question could arise about it running together with PRIME, Can it be done ?
Also I’d like to know more about the “prime-run program” part and where could I get more info about it.

Another question since the ssd it’s only going to arrive in the next month, by using the proprietary drivers, wouldn’t it be easier if Installed the Manjaro OS with the non-free drivers included on the installation ? Just a question that came to my head while heading

Another question on the prime-run, those it come installed on manjaro or it installs together with the proprieatry driver ?

I appreciate so very much your reply and contribution to this thread, I’m just asking for more info for those in the future that might also have this laptop and not the expertise to know how to search about on google.

Hopefully, yes.

optimus-manager is a command line utility and daemon which lets you select if you want to use the integrated gpu exclusively, or both the integrated and discrete gpu (hybrid mode), or only the discrete gpu for rendering (and the integrated one for display offload).

In integrated gpu-only mode no graphics related functionality of the discrete GPU is available. In hybrid mode, you can use the discrete gpu for “graphics heavy” programs, but the rendering is done on the integrated gpu (except for applications which are explicitly offloaded to the discrete GPU); you can actually access the display outputs of the discrete GPU, however, it has some caveats. In nvidia-only mode, all rendering is done on the discrete GPU, the the integrated GPU just displays the images.

How to install.

Since the laptop also has an intel gpu, I see no reason take that route. That’d probably install an older driver version which may or may not cause issues.

It’s part of the nvidia-prime pakage, which you probably need to install explicitly.

1 Like

So do you recomend which one ? the Prime or the Optimus manager ?

Okay that seem fair, It’d cause conflict on install.

What you mean by explicitly ? do I install it before installing the Proprietary Drivers or after it installing ? Another question that this implies is, should I install nvidia-prime before or after rebooting after installing the proprietary drivers that you said here:

They are orthogonal things. So the answer is both.

You need to install it “manually”, “by hand”. Which means opening the software center and installing it in there, or running sudo pacman -Syu nvidia-prime in the terminal.

After.

So They can be used together, does it require tweaking depending on the hardware or their “synergy” is easier than on the threads I could read on this forum? (What do I mean is Is there a thread you could link where it shows how to make both work?

Oh Thanks for your explanation, English is not my primary language I usually can’t read much into some phrases.

Nice, Thank you again for contributing. I will keep it open for now, just to see if anyone with the same configuration can have anything to contribute.

PRIME render offload should “just work”, I have sent a link on how to set up optimus-manager.

Okay, I’ll look into that, Thanks for Awnsering and your patience.

Do you think after the installation of the non-free drivers and nvidia-prime I would be able to use a second monitor ? I’ve been reading peoples threads about this topic and most had a 1050 Graphics Card but there was 1 guy with a 1050Ti that he’s setup worked without optimus I think. It’s was @XRaTiX

If you don’t modify and configuration, then you’ll be in a state that’s more or less equivalent to the “hybrid” mode of optimus-manager. And as I have explained, it is possible to use the external outputs of the nvidia gpu, with some caveats which are discussed on the linked thread.

Theres no such thing as ‘without’ optimus on a nvidia+intel machine unless you turn off one of the cards.
Thats what optimus is. (an nvidia code name for these types of setups)
Generally what people do is just use it as intended - this is made even easier by PRIME profiles in mhwd … you use the intel by default, and nvidia when you use prime-run. Thats it.
(for special circumstances like a secondary monitor … thats up to how you want to configure it)
For basic installation and use … you should simply be able to install and use manjaro as it is.
Nothing special required.

Hmmm, I thought he meant “optimus-manager”… I don’t know why.

I meant optimus-manager. anyways could you elaborate on:

What is basic installation and use ? I mean to expand my desktop onto the secondary monitor, Would I be able to use it like in my example just by installing the correct non-free drivers and installing nvidia-prime ?

The day where I will install the system is coming, let’s see if all the procedures here will work out fine. I’ll install then update mirrors and the packages. Reboot, then auto install the proprietary drivers