Gnome Shell doesn't start sometimes

I recently wanted to replace PulseAudio with Pipewire and in doing that I removed gdm, gnome-shell and xorg (as well as other packages). I managed to reinstall everything needed through the TTY.

The problem is that sometimes when I login from GDM I get a black screen and can’t even switch to another TTY. I briefly looked at the systemd logs but couldn’t find anything. Does anyone know what’s wrong or how I could find out what’s wrong?

Hi @TecCheck,

Nobody can know without more information. Please see [HowTo] Provide System Information, [HowTo] post screenshots and links, and [HowTo] Increase your chances of solving your issue.

Also, please provide the output for:

journalctl --boot=-1 --priority=3

Oh, I totally forgot this. Here’s the output of journalctl:

Feb 05 09:36:34 cpc kernel: 
Feb 05 09:36:37 cpc colord-sane[844]: io/hpmud/pp.c 627: unable to read device-id ret=-1
Feb 05 09:36:38 cpc colord-sane[1154]: io/hpmud/pp.c 627: unable to read device-id ret=-1
Feb 05 09:36:38 cpc colord-sane[1183]: io/hpmud/pp.c 627: unable to read device-id ret=-1
Feb 05 09:36:39 cpc gnome-session-binary[1325]: GLib-GIO-CRITICAL: g_bus_get_sync: assertion 'error == NULL || *error == NULL' failed
Feb 05 09:36:39 cpc gnome-session-binary[1325]: GLib-GIO-CRITICAL: g_bus_get_sync: assertion 'error == NULL || *error == NULL' failed
Feb 05 09:37:16 cpc gdm-password][1616]: gkr-pam: unable to locate daemon control file

EDIT: I pasted the logs from the wrong boot. Now it’s correct

Thank you!

Well, it doesn’t tell me much. But then, I’m not a gnome user. :wink:

So maybe it will tell someone else something more than just ‘stuff’s broken’. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

But

I’m going to go ahead and guess your problem lies with that :point_up_2: So try reinstalling xors as well as Gome. I’m not :100: certain, of course, but try reinstalling xorg and gnome-shell:

pamac install xorg-server
pamac install gnome-shell

Thank you. I did that and installed gdm-plymouth instead of gdm. I’ll test it the next few days.