Excessive ram usage

When i boot up it uses around 1Gb which is normal, but after half an hour the ram usage simply skyrocket.

System:    Host: HPRYZEN Kernel: 5.13.19-2-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.23.3 Distro: Manjaro Linux
Info:      Processes: 369 Uptime: 4h 28m Memory: 7.14 GiB used: 4.29 GiB (60.1%) Shell: Zsh inxi: 3.3.09

ps aux | awk '{print $2, $4, $11}' | sort -k2rn | head -n 20                                                                                                           ✔  6s  
15942 3.6 /usr/bin/plasmashell
16009 3.6 /usr/bin/latte-dock
16274 3.0 /usr/bin/plasma-systemmonitor
15875 2.7 /usr/bin/kwin_x11
15536 2.2 /usr/lib/Xorg
17033 2.0 /usr/bin/ksysguard
15982 1.6 /usr/bin/yakuake
16168 1.5 /usr/lib/xdg-desktop-portal-kde
17376 1.5 /usr/lib/kf5/kioslave5
310 1.4 /usr/lib/systemd/systemd-journald
16013 1.1 /usr/bin/matray
15871 1.0 /usr/bin/kded5
15970 0.8 /usr/lib/kdeconnectd
15613 0.7 /usr/bin/kwalletd5
15913 0.7 /usr/bin/ksmserver
15938 0.7 /usr/lib/polkit-kde-authentication-agent-1
15940 0.7 /usr/bin/kaccess
15986 0.7 /usr/bin/msm_kde_notifier
15997 0.7 /usr/bin/pamac-tray-plasma
15858 0.5 /usr/lib/kf5/klauncher

This is perfectly normal. Linux ─ the kernel ─ uses the available free RAM for caching. Unused RAM is useless RAM. :wink:

The cache will be diminished in size again as more RAM is needed by applications and other data.

:arrow_down:

https://www.linuxatemyram.com/

1 Like

Interesting and i know unused ram is useless but i was playing a YouTube video with two tab opened in firefox and it started to lag, the system was not responsive at all.

Well, one thing to note here is that browsers ─ both the applications themselves and the content they are showing ─ are extremely memory-hungry, and Firefox in particular has since time immemorial been notorious for its memory leaks.

In addition to that, your inxi snippet tells us you’ve got 8 GiB of RAM installed. With a browser open at two tabs, one of them playing a video, and a few other things in memory, your system will start swapping. And swap is not as fast as RAM. :man_shrugging:

Without more information we cannot know.
All we know is that you have chosen to use poor and intrusive software like Brave :wink:

How to find and share system information

I dont use brave actually, i was setting up the global menu in the kde panel and it was not working for firefox so i just installed the first browser i seen in pamac software manager. FYI i also have falkon installed as well.

Later i got to know that firefox has weird implementation of menu and Global menu doesnt work for all application.

You dont have rephrase your sentence too look nice btw as about information i didnt know where my memory is being used, the system monitor didnt helped me either.
so i provided what i could…

My system boot up around exactly with 1GB make sense as i have latte dock and few others thing setup…

This is my system. :arrow_down:

total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:           15881        3266        6038        2140        6576       10141
Swap:              0           0           0

I have Chromium open with 4 pinned tabs and one regular tab, and I have the following running… :arrow_down:

• KMail (email client)
  • JuK (music player)
  • Claws Mail (for Usenet newsgroups)
  • Telegram Desktop (messenger app)
  • 2 instances of Gwenview (image viewer)
  • Kate (editor)
  • Yakuake (drop-down terminal emulator)
  • Konsole (terminal emulator)
  • Dolphin (file manager) with 4 tabs open
  • Klondike (KPatience)
  • KSysGuard (system monitor)

All of it is spread out across 12 virtual desktops and 2 activities.

1 Like

Interesting, seems like i’m not alone then and it seems to be common behaviour … I think i need to edit the swapiness levels

No preload. Just cache, running kernel 5.4.

That is always a good idea. :wink:

Then I beseach thee to read this fine tutorial I have composed a while ago… :stuck_out_tongue:

:arrow_down:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.