Every time I reboot

Every time i reboot Manjaro I am greeted by slowness, and lo and behold:

I am still not satisfied that there is a way to tell Manjaro KDE Plasma to remain in performance mode, or alter the CPU profile to any other mode than Powersave.

Tell me why I have to be a Powersave.

I know what you’re going to say “don’t reboot” but I have to when my system crashes or KDE Plasma hits 99% CPU or something else goes horribly wrong about once a day.

Check if disabling baloo fixes that.

balooctl disable
1 Like

When I reboot my computer, on KDE, I am not in Powersave mode, I am in Schedutil mode. On the contrary I myself force the Powersave mode after reboot.

Also what is in your screenshot this is not KDE interface as far as I know.

Give proper information about your system

Are you sure you didn’t miss a negation in your sentence? That makes the difference if you write the opposite of what you want to write.

That makes no sense, is it only when you reboot that you are in Powersave mode?

1 Like

“i am still not satisfied
that there is a way”

is correct first-language native speaker english.

it appears that powersave automagically happens on reboot.

and yes i have uncommented ‘governor=‘performance’’ in the file /etc/default/cpupower

maybe I need to uninstall cpupower since it may not be KDE’s preferred cpu killer, and if not, I apologize for putting this in the wrong forum.

I’m pretty sure this is not what you wanted to write, but if it is, let say :ok: (and then your complain is what exactly?)

I am still not satisfied that there isn’t a way to tell Manjaro KDE Plasma to remain in performance mode, or alter the CPU profile to any other mode than Powersave.

is probably what you wanted to write.

1 Like

you are wrong.

“I’m not satisfied that there is (a thing)” means that it is assumed by you and others that there is a thing. I am not satisfied that there is a thing.

Then to me it doesn’t make sense at all.

Can you rephrase completely what you meant then?

Also

1 Like

cpupower no worky – sorry, but if you can’t understand the thread maybe there is no real problem.

but the fact is this is a bug that exists and the internet doesn’t know why.

supposedly there is a way to set the cpu governor to performance, or to remove imposed cpu limits. a way that is persistent after a reboot. do you know of a way to do that? i am still (after a month) not satisfied (not happy) that there exists (is) a way (method) to do it. (it == set cpu governor to performance permanently)

# Define CPUs governor
# valid governors: ondemand, performance, powersave, conservative, userspace.
governor='performance'

# Limit frequency range
# Valid suffixes: Hz, kHz (default), MHz, GHz, THz
#min_freq="2.25GHz"
#max_freq="3GHz"

# Specific frequency to be set.
# Requires userspace governor to be available.
# Do not set governor field if you use this one.
#freq=

# Utilizes cores in one processor package/socket first before processes are 
# scheduled to other processor packages/sockets.
# See man (1) CPUPOWER-SET for additional details.
#mc_scheduler=

# Utilizes thread siblings of one processor core first before processes are
# scheduled to other cores. See man (1) CPUPOWER-SET for additional details.
#smp_scheduler=

#  Sets a register on supported Intel processore which allows software to convey
# its policy for the relative importance of performance versus energy savings to
# the  processor. See man (1) CPUPOWER-SET for additional details.
#perf_bias=

# vim:set ts=2 sw=2 ft=sh et:

You are not happy there is a way to permanently set the CPU governor to performance? Then don’t use it…
:man_shrugging:

On topic documentation:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/CPU_frequency_scaling#Scaling_governors

in reflection, during the course of setting up for using the computer to do heavy duty realtime processing, i followed the wrong advice by installing cpupower. now i suppose i am to understand that Manjaro KDE Plasma doesn’t “clip” the cpu performance. I will for now, apologize for this impertinent thread, unless I find out the CPU is being limited by some other means at which point I will resume the search for any such ghosts if they exist. Thanks.

Manjaro Users: don’t use cpupower or cpupower-gui, these need to be removed from the repos with prejudice.

How about learning how to use it instead?..
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/CPU_frequency_scaling#cpupower

2 Likes

I have already posted a response to you about using cpupower.service to keep governor set to performance

please post response to this command

systemctl status -l --no-pager cpupower.service
1 Like

“why not learn program n?”

because running a Linux system is either a career in of itself, or a full time hobby at least. surely you are aware how many of these programs cascade into an avalanche of stuff that needs to be stored in the brain. that’s why software exists, as tools that are supposed to make things easier, not make more and more demands on the end user.

cpupower-gui isn’t part of Manjaro, that was my mistake. I’ve spent too many hours on too many threads trying too many random things and got frustrated. Everybody has a smart answer, i try the smart suggestions, and lately i’ve been getting nowhere. it’s the weather or something. also this isn’t the only issue regarding the establishment of a new workstation that i’ve been stymied by.

for now, i have uninstalled cpupower so let’s see what happens. maybe it’ll brick the system :slight_smile:

Nah. That was true at the beginning, but not today. There are enough user-friendly Linux distributions to run and use them out-of-the-box without needing to read anything.
It’s whenever something does not work as intended that one needs to dig under the hood, and be cautious about it. But that is true with any operating system.

1 Like

“Nah. That was true at the beginning, but not today. There are enough user-friendly Linux distributions to run and use them out-of-the-box without needing to read anything.”

i’m not sure, even doing the basic stuff i want to do, such as quantum entanglement mesh topology analysis and living tissue molecular addressing and psycho-genetic permutation mapping, i had to learn quite a few new programs, (as well as find a way to remove cpu limitations)

There does appear to be something important that you have not read so far,
users get a badge on their profile to show when they have read it
https://forum.manjaro.org/guidelines

If your profile had shown this badge I would have flagged some posts in previous comment because of the derogatory comments about unrelated 3rd parties
The person and group you were projecting blame at are not responsible for your system

According to the Read-O-Meter to read the wiki part about cpupower:

Estimated reading time: 0 minutes, 23 seconds. Contains 79 words

Not what I would qualify “a career in of itself”

1 Like