Dolphin Can't Open OpenOffice Files

Whenever I try to open an OpenOffice file from Dolphin, it first asks me whether I trust the application, then tells me that the application is not executable.

An example is attempting to open an ODT spreadsheet with LibreOffice Calc:

First I get a warning- (Note this is not a code response from the terminal. this is just the text from the dialog produced by the GUI. Easier than providing a screenshot.)

Warning - Dolphin
This will open the program:
LibreOffice Calc
If you do not trust this program, click Cancel.

Upon clicking ā€œContinue,ā€ it throws me this error message-

Unknown error code 100

Unable to make the service LibreOffice Calc executable, aborting execution.

Existing file /usr/share/applications/libreoffice-calc.desktop is not writable.

Please send a full bug report at https://bugs.kde.org.

Now if I enter LibreOffice Calc first and open the file from within Calc, I have no problem.

• Does this also happen if you create another user, log in there and double-click on a file there???
    • If yes, please uninstall LibreOffice completely, removing all settings and then install it again:

pamac --no-save remove libreoffice*
      pamac install libreoffice*

• If no, please report back.

:+1:

It seems to be specific to my user. Everything worked fine on the test account.

So re-installing LibreOffice did not make it work under your old user? (Unsure from your rather cryptic feed-backā€¦)

:thinking:

No; you said to report back if I was able to open files from Dolphin on the new account. I was. I created the test account, logged in, and successfully opened several LO files directly from Dolphin. The problem still persists on my user account; though I havenā€™t tried re-installing via CLI

Iā€™m an idiot! My apologies! :man_facepalming:

As it does work under your new account, weā€™re going to do the following:

• Verify that the new user has access to the same groups as your old one by executing groups and comparing the output of both users.

groups U45
    groups U45-2

(Where obviously, U45 is your old user and U45-2 is your new one.)
    E.G. if U45 is a member of operator and U45-2 isnā€™t, execute:

usermod --append --groups operator U45-2

• Copy all data files from your old profile into your new one

cp --verbose --recursive --preserve=time-stamps /home/U45/Documents/* /home/U45-2/Documents/

If that worked and you had no errors, remove the documents from your old user:

rm --recursive /home/U45/Documents/*

repeat for:

• Pictures
    • Videos
    • Music
    • .thunderbird
    • .mozilla/firefox/
    • Templates, and everything else that is important to you.
    • Linux games like Battle of Wesnoth have their game data stored under ~/.local/share/ E.G. ~/.local/share/wesnoth/

After everything has been copied over, disable the old user so you cannot accidentally log on:

usermod --lock U45

If you would have theming going on, donā€™t do everything in one day but do this at the rate of 1 application / theme / whatever per day and if the problem crops up again, roll back your last change

• in 1 month delete the entire home directory of your old user, but donā€™t delete the user itself so that in 6 months time files still owned by that user will still show up under its username.

• If you ever migrate to a new machine, just donā€™t migrate the old user: only the new one.

• From now on, start making backups so you can roll back and never have to do this again:

So I got it working again, at least for now, by some stroke of luck. I looked back at the error message I was getting every time I tried to open a file from Dolphin. It read:

Existing file /usr/share/applications/libreoffice-calc.desktop is not writable.

So I navigated to /usr/share/applications and noticed that there was an exclamation point icon overlaid on each of the libreoffice application links. On a hunch, I logged out and logged into the test account, navigated to the same location, and sure enough, the exclamation point icons were missing. When I logged back into the old account and navigated back to the same place, the links looked normal. The exclamation point icons were gone. I tried opening up a libreoffice document and, boom, it worked. Did it several times with different file types; no issues.

Not sure what I did, but while uninstalling and reinstalling the LO package, it kept informing me of conflicts between libreoffice-still and libreoffice-fresh. So I made sure to specify that I was installing only libreoffice-still.

This spontaneous tinkering seems to have solved the problem. Gonna reboot to make sure.

EDIT: Spoke too soon. Problem still persists upon reboot. Thereā€™s probably a solution there somewhere, but I donā€™t have the time nor expertise to go looking for it. Is there a why to transfer admint control to a new account?

Yes, just follow the procedure above exactlyā€¦ I.E. this bit transfers admin:

I assume U45, U45-2, and operator are just placeholder names?

Granting group access went smoothly, though I did have to use sudo to accomplish it. I keep all my files on a separate disk, so there wasnā€™t anything I needed from my home directory.

I tried to perform the recursive deletion of all files in the old home directory from the new account, but I was told the directories didnā€™t exist; even when I used sudo.

Since the old /home will be deleted in a monthā€™s time anyway, I went ahead and locked the account.

1 Like

I have to go with the information I have:
2020-10-16_20-19

I never put any sudos anywhere so people donā€™t blindly copy paste ā€œze codezā€ :grin:

magic needs to be performed then: sudo -s and youā€™re actually root in a root command shell. Be very careful!

So, Iā€™ve marked the below answer as the solution to your question as it is by far the best answer youā€™ll get.

However, if you disagree with my choice, please feel free to take any other answer as the solution to your question or even remove the solution altogether: You are in control! (If you disagree with my choice, just send me a personal message and explain why I shouldnā€™t have done this or :heart: or :+1: if you agree)

:innocent:
P.S. In the future, please donā€™t forget to come back and click the 3 dots below the answer to mark a solution like this below the answer that helped you most:
Solution
so that the next person that has the exact same problem you just had will benefit from your post as well as your question will now be in the ā€œsolvedā€ status.

My bad. Will do.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.