Development / Q&A | OrangePi Neo-01

Yea, but units are already being shipped inside China for the home market. Search on baidu.com for “Orange Pi Neo handheld console”, it was released March 24th in Shenzhen.

There were two options available:
Ryzen 7 7840U / 16 GB + 512 GB: 4099 yuan, overseas price 499 US dollars (about 3608 yuan)
Ryzen 7 8840U / 16 GB + 512GB: 4499 yuan, overseas price 599 US dollars (about 4331 yuan)

My guess is that they only have access to enough production capacity to address one market at a time and China is a very large market.

There is no availability for the Chinese market. We introduced the price on March 24th in Shenzhen. Marketing department called it a launch :small_airplane:

A small trial batch is planned for Mid-July and Mass-Production in a much higher quantity might be later. There is a plan to give out some units for some public pre-testing, but OrangePi has to tell us more regarding that plan and in which countries it will be.

We are just the software vendor and only follow manufacturing lead by OrangePi here. So far we try to keep the public updated on this project as best as we can.

2 Likes

How is the UI going to work?

Like would it be possible for OpenGamepadUI to be used for the whole UX in Gaming Mode (including first time setup) for the sake of consistency? Besides, I see more pros than cons in doing this, such as integration with multiple storefronts.

I would think it would require more development time from you guys, but I think it would ultimately be worth it.

Hey I know your only the software vendor, but do you know anything about the repairability of the device i.e. Can I replace the SSD. Can I replace the battery. Will there be replacement parts.

1 Like

Well, I did a short demo to some Youtubers when I was in Taipei. You can look it up here: 独家!香橙派8840u掌机上手 Orange Pi NEO_哔哩哔哩_bilibili

2 Likes

We updated the first post and reordered our development log in reverse order.

2 Likes

So how likely is it that we see it launch before September? My Birthday’s in early September so would love to buy it for then. Also any news on the review samples being sent out to reviewers like shortcircuit and etaprime, if there’s no news that’s fine. Just another very eager guy who really wants one so bad :drooling_face:

At the top

A few posts up

I’d read between the lines of those two posts and guess that pre-orders might start in Q3, if everything is well, and delivery might happen in Q4 (Q3 might be possible, but everything has to be absolutely perfect for that to happen, and to be fair to Orange Pi they would have a lot of experience in delivering products … so maybe). And the assumption there is that everything is all in place by then, you have to remember that the delivery of bulk ordered parts and components was initiated 6 months to a year ago and all not arriving with perfect timing can easily push deadlines. So I can fully understand why a fixed date is not provided for when finished units will ship. They want to be sure that all their t’s are crossed and i’s dotted first.

I look at this way, the more time it takes to ship the more time people have to make a better product. At the end of the day it is a complex piece of hardware, but without great software the very best hardware that is possible to create, will not be as good as it could be.

1 Like

Doing hardware can be tricky indeed. Since I mostly had almost all Prototype refreshments in hand and had tested them you see how the quality of the product grows over time.

In the beginning the ergonomics were not great, controllers mushy or partly not working at all. Then you try to make the best of it and hide the flaws you might easily spot when you do a demo at a tradeshow for customers. It is always brave to show early products to potential customers and deal with harsh feedback early.

Most of the prototypes to produce are very costly, so they get recycled and reused or fixed in some funny ways to make them work. You have a Frankenstein who married the daughter of McGyver. And your father in law fixed some issues on your circuits.

Also updating Firmware can be tricky. For example an older prototype I updated and created a dead duck cos PCB layout had changed on newer models so the new firmware stopped supporting the earlier prototypes completely. To fix that, you either have to remove the BIOS ROM chip or use a special tool to reflash it with the older BIOS firmware to make it work again. So is it broken? Well, soft broken. Hardware still works, just don’t boot cos it doesn’t find stuff it needs.

Then getting things like suspend, sleep and other power related stuff working can be tricky too. It didn’t sleep cos some part of the monitor cable always sent a wake me up signal. So we found a way to ignore that to make the earlier prototypes work.

You also have close contact to vendors, manufacturers from many companies like AMD and others. Finding the right contact in kernel development and other aspects can be tricky, but if you know how to navigate you find them.

Then there is the developer community for Gaming on Linux. Sure there are many distros but the common distro wars the end users do exists there not. Here we help each other and point out which patches who is working on to make it a whole.

To get Manjaro into the gaming niche I started with the ASUS ROG ALLY, as it was the easiest and most near available product I could buy when our hardware project started. You need something to work on. Sure that also didn’t work perfectly. So even final products may need 6 months or so to get fully supported on Linux and then it might take up to one year to land in Mainline Linux.

If you pay that effort you can fasttrack that all. If you want community developers to do the job, it will take a while and you need to find those who will do it and are able to do so. So you invest a lot of your time and money up front and hope in the end it will be a success in such a way it compensates you in the end for the efforts you put into that project so far.

It is a new world you work in and you see different aspects and how you design your operating system.

3 Likes