Dependency satisfaction failed

It seems to me that I haven’t done the last 3 updates, now a block error message :
"Error
Transaction preparation failed
Dependency satisfaction failed:

• deleting kholidays breaks the “kholidays” dependency required by kalarmcal.
  • deleting kxmlgui breaks the dependency of “kxmlgui” required by libkipi.
  • deleting kservice breaks the dependency of “kservice” required by libkipi.
    (translate from french)

How can I fix the problem?
Thank you

Easy, remove libkipi and kalarmcal, they aren’t needed or maintained anymore.

2 Likes

And how about using the search engine and reading the announcements next time. Not to be rude, it is just the 67th topic about libkipi, you know?

2 Likes

libkipi has been deprecated since May 2022.

1 Like

Is there a preferable solution, not too complicated if possible, to solve my problem?

You … need to remove the problem packages.

I assume you are using the pamac GUI so there are fancy buttons to click and stuff.

Or …

:spoon:

+kalarmcal, and -kipi-plugins as you did not mention that?

:spoon: :spoon: :spoon:

sudo pacman -Rns libkipi kalarmcal
1 Like

I make sudo pacman -Rns libkipi kipi-plugins
Can’t find kipi-plugins

I make sudo pacman -Rns libkipi kalarmcal

Whith pacman GUI for upgrade now I get :
"Preparation of the transaction failed

Unable to find target : kxmlgui5"

So I tried :

[skwaloo@PineBookPro ~]$ sudo pacman -S kxmlgui5
[sudo] skwaloo password : 
error: unable to find target: kxmlgui5
[skwaloo@PineBookPro ~]$ sudo pacman -Syu
:: Synchronising package databases...
 core 262,3 KiB 397 KiB/s 00:01 [############################################################################] 100%
 extra 9.2 MiB 1143 KiB/s 00:08 [############################################################################] 100%
 community 29,0 B 70,0 B/s 00:00 [############################################################################] 100%
:: Some packages should be upgraded first...
resolving dependencies...
searching for package conflicts...

Packages (2) archlinux-keyring-20231113-1 manjaro-keyring-20230719-2

Total download size: 1.24 MiB
Total installed size: 1.72 MiB
Net update size: -0.59 MiB

:: Proceed to installation? [Y/n]

…what can I must do now ? :thinking:

Have you never updated in your life? Read. Also format output text with </> button so it’s readable.

I’m done tracking this topic. Have you ever considered that Manjaro is not for you because you’re clearly not willing to learn and expect the answers to basic questions to be spoonfed?

3 Likes

I joined the this forum on the day I first installed Manjaro and, even though several years have passed since then, I still consider myself to be much of a novice and I still learn something new almost every day from perusing the Latest Topics page.

Manjaro is a rolling release that requires regular maintenance/updating, and one of the first things I learned was to always read Latest Announcements topics - Manjaro Linux Forum or Latest Announcements/Stable Updates topics - Manjaro Linux Forum before doing any updates, as sometimes important procedures have to be manually done before or immediately after updating. It can also be useful to let the update notification sit in your system tray for a few hours so that you can first have a read of the applicable update forum thread to see if other users have encountered any issues and if any solutions are offered. Please see edit at bottom of this post for correct ARM links

BTW, the updates forum does have RSS feeds that can be added to any feed reader. The one I would recommend for you is: Stable Updates - Manjaro Linux Forum

If you want to keep an eye on what is happening regarding updates in all branches (Unstable & Testing especially), then this is the RSS feed: Announcements - Manjaro Linux Forum

If you want an operating system that is “not too complicated if possible”, then I would strongly recommend that you read the following topic to help you decide if Manjaro is the right choice for you:

I’m not saying that you shouldn’t stick with Manjaro, but people who don’t have a lot of spare time available to maintain their system should really consider whether a fixed-point release distro might be a better option for them.

Edit: A correction to the links I provided, as I just noticed that you are on ARM Stable:

Latest ARM topics - Manjaro Linux Forum
RSS: ARM - Manjaro Linux Forum

Latest ARM/Stable Updates topics - Manjaro Linux Forum
RSS: Stable Updates - Manjaro Linux Forum

2 Likes

Up until now, using pacman GUI has never caused me any problems.

I don’t lack the desire, but I do lack the time. To find out if Manjaro suited my needs, I had to try it out. So I tried

Thank you very much for your detailed reply

For correctness’ sake, PAMAC GUI is not a pacman GUI. Pacman and its commands are not the backend for pamac gui.

Pacman is the traditional ternimal-based package manager for arch and its derivatives. Pamac has its own commands and can also be used from the terminal separate from its gui.

Sometimes forum member responses can seem a bit harsh.
It’s probably best to presume they have your best interest at heart.

Without repeating advice already offered by @scotty65 I’ll simply say: If you like Manjaro – and there’s not much not to like (imho) – then persist with it, and don’t allow anyone to dissuade you. That is all. Cheers.

1 Like

@wongs thank you for this clarification.

@soundofthunder, In fact, some of the answers give me the impression that they want to remain among the elite. But a tool like Pamac GUI shows that Manjaro isn’t just for the elite.
Every time I touch the OS I don’t know if it’s going to get worse or not, but I’m going to keep using Manjaro in the hope of putting off the moment when I have to reinstall…

Have a good end of year

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.