Error mount partion

An error occurred while accessing ‘hamo’, the system responded: The requested operation has failed: Error mounting /dev/sdb3 at /run/media/a/hamo: Unknown error when mounting /dev/sdb3

sudo mkdir /mnt/temp
sudo mount -t ntfs3 -o ro /dev/sdb3 /mnt/temp

After running this command it works but the problem is here

• I have to repeat the command every time I open the system
  • The other problem is that after this, I cannot create folders

sudo mkdir newFolder

mkdir: cannot create directory ‘newFolder’: Read-only file system

Hi @hamo,

That error suggests 1 of 3 things:

1. Either the disk, or the partition is damaged, in which case, replacing it would be neccessary; or
  2. and I can’t remember #3 just now. It’ll come to me; and
  3. the drive is mounted as read-only, and considering:
sudo mount -t ntfs3 -o ro /dev/sdb3 /mnt/temp

… the -o ro in the command, it is most likely that. Try changing the command to:

sudo mount -t ntfs3 -o rw /dev/sdb3 /mnt/temp

However, this:

Should only be necessary for the mount command, not the mkdir command, unless you’re trying to use a live environment, in which case you’re going to have a very bad time, as a live environment isn’t persistent.

So first make sure you’re not trying to use a live environment.

sudo mount -t ntfs3 -o rw /dev/sdb3 /mnt/temp

mount: /mnt/temp: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb3, missing codepage or helper program, or other error.
dmesg(1) may have more information after failed mount system call.
mount: (hint) your fstab has been modified, but systemd still uses
the old version; use ‘systemctl daemon-reload’ to reload.

Hmmm…

I’ve seen many issues with the in-kernel ntfs3 drivers, so let’s try moving to ntfs-3g instead. Install is from the extra repositories:

pamac install ntfs-3g

And then try mounting with the following command:

sudo mount -t ntfs-3g -o rw /dev/sdb3 /mnt/temp

if that didn’t work, please provide the output of:

parted --list

:bangbang: Tip: :bangbang:

When posting terminal output, copy the output and paste it here, wrapped in three (3) backticks, before AND after the pasted text. Like this:

```
pasted text
```

Or three (3) tilde signs, like this:

~~~
pasted text
~~~

This will just cause it to be rendered like this:

Sed
sollicitudin dolor
eget nisl elit id
condimentum
arcu erat varius
cursus sem quis eros.

Instead of like this:

Sed sollicitudin dolor eget nisl elit id condimentum arcu erat varius cursus sem quis eros.

Alternatively, paste the text you wish to format as terminal output, select all pasted text, and click the </> button on the taskbar. This will indent the whole pasted section with one TAB, causing it to render the same way as described above.

Thereby increasing legibility thus making it easier for those trying to provide assistance.

For more information, please see:

:bangbang::bangbang: Additionally

If your language isn’t English, please prepend any and all terminal commands with LC_ALL=C. For example:

LC_ALL=C bluetoothctl

This will just cause the terminal output to be in English, making it easier to understand and debug.

Your problem is the system mount folder and permissions - and perhaps the ntfs3 driver specified.

You’re mounting it read-only, so of course you cannot create folders.

Also, don’t use ntfs3 — use ntfs-3g instead.

As for (pseudo-)persistence, please read these two tutorials below… :point_down:

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.