Cant enable wayland

I’m not able to login to a wayland session, only “gnome” and “gnome classic” are shown.
I have checked /etc/gdm/custom.conf and wayland isnt disabled there.
In manjaro hello wayland is enabled and im not able to disable it…

If you are using the proprietary Nvidia driver for your GPU, this might help (even though the title says enabling EGL streams on Fedora). I did just last night on Manjaro Testing with Gnome 3.36.4 and Nvidia 440.100. Seems to work fine.

Enable EGL streams on Fedora

1 Like

Gnome-layout-switcher has an option to enable wayland. If it is grayed out, it is because it detects you have nvidia card. Nvidia doesn’t play well with wayland, and gnome probably silently disables it on the background even if you enable it.

4 Likes

Im using Intel IGPU, the option isn’t grayed out.
The option is enabled ( while im on x11 ) and i cant disable it.

Okay. That is quite weird. Can you check the output of

echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE

Its just says x11, how does manjaro disable wyland ?

/etc/gdm/custom.conf. If wayland isn’t disabled there, then something is wrong. Can you cat /etc/gdm/custom.conf here?

# GDM configuration storage

[daemon]
AutomaticLoginEnable=False
# Uncoment the line below to force the login screen to use Xorg
#WaylandEnable=false

[security]

[xdmcp]

[chooser]

[debug]
# Uncomment the line below to turn on debugging
#Enable=true

It should not matter, but try the setting

WaylandEnable=true

And reboot

tried that but it didn’t change anything.

Maybe my gnome-session isn’t configured how its supposed to ?
I have no gnome on xorg session…

my gdm says:

Gnome
Gnome Classic

and it still logs in to x11

Do you have xwayland installed? Though it should be pulled as dependency…

Does journalctl -xe gdm show anything interesting?

that command doesn’t work, i did a reinstall on gnome-session… didn’t help either

im about to reinstall my laptop just to enable wayland… cant be that the people at manjaro changed some of the code why i cant enable wayland… it used to work on popos

Our gnome packages come from Arch. The wayland session worked the last time I checked. @Ste74 do you have any further ideas?

Manjaro-Hello ask’s for a permission when trying to change the wayland setting? why is this ?

Because it is a system wide setting. In the background it edits /etc/gdm/custom.conf and sudo rights are needed to do that.

so */ usr / bin / sed * is used to edit the gdm config and nothing else ?.. i cant understand why wayland doesnt work

stefano@ste74 Linux 5.8.1-3-MANJARO x86_64 20.1 Mikah
~ >>> echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE                                                                            
wayland
~ >>>  cat /etc/gdm/custom.conf                                                                         
# GDM configuration storage

[daemon]
# Uncoment the line below to force the login screen to use Xorg
WaylandEnable=true

[security]

[xdmcp]

[chooser]

[debug]
# Uncomment the line below to turn on debugging
#Enable=true

# Enable automatic login for user
[daemon]
AutomaticLogin=stefano
AutomaticLoginEnable=False%                                                                              ~ >>>                                                                                                   

i m always on wayland and all is fine. All work as expected…

only one thing is if the iso is very old and you have installed this pkg
manjaro-gdm-check wich disable wayland if nvidia is detected. but is an old routine, was made before gnome-dev integrated a check in gdm code…

1 Like

I noticed this today too. I suspect it’s been the case for a few days because I may have observed (x11 style) screen tearing recently. /etc/gdm/custom.conf has WaylandEnable=true. journalctl -xe gdm returns “Failed to add match 'gdm ': Invalid argument” ", so I’m going to assume I’m using that wrong. ‘echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE’ returns “X11”.

On boot my options are “gnome” and “gnome classic”. I’m pretty sure that wayland used to be an option.

Intel HD Graphics 620 using video-linux driver. Nothing about my system has changed recently, but I did a large update (pacman -Syu) recently

New to the forum, I hope my markup is ok.