Can't enable bluetooth - Manjaro XFCE dual-boot with Windows 11

I’m using Manjaro XFCE dual-booted with Windows 11. I can use bluetooth fine on Windows 11, but not with Linux.

When I click on the bluetooth icon in the taskbar, I can click on ‘Enable Bluetooth’. But immediately on clicking the bluetooth icon again, it disappears.

Here’s the result of running

$ systemctl status bluetooth

● bluetooth.service - Bluetooth service
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/bluetooth.service; enabled; preset: disabled)
     Active: active (running) since Wed 2022-12-21 20:20:08 EST; 1h 8min ago
       Docs: man:bluetoothd(8)
   Main PID: 745 (bluetoothd)
      Tasks: 1 (limit: 18383)
     Memory: 2.0M
        CPU: 18ms
     CGroup: /system.slice/bluetooth.service
             └─745 /usr/lib/bluetooth/bluetoothd

Dec 21 20:20:08 pavilion-aero-13 systemd[1]: Starting Bluetooth service...
Dec 21 20:20:08 pavilion-aero-13 systemd[745]: ConfigurationDirectory 'bluetooth' already exists but the mode is different. (File system: 755 ConfigurationDirectoryMode: 555)
Dec 21 20:20:08 pavilion-aero-13 bluetoothd[745]: Bluetooth daemon 5.65
Dec 21 20:20:08 pavilion-aero-13 systemd[1]: Started Bluetooth service.
Dec 21 20:20:08 pavilion-aero-13 bluetoothd[745]: Starting SDP server
Dec 21 20:20:08 pavilion-aero-13 bluetoothd[745]: Bluetooth management interface 1.22 initialized

Please let me know what other information might be of help. Thank you!

EDIT:

$ rfkill
ID TYPE      DEVICE      SOFT      HARD
 0 bluetooth hci0   unblocked unblocked
 1 wlan      phy0   unblocked unblocked
$ inxi --network
Network:
  Device-1: MEDIATEK MT7922 802.11ax PCI Express Wireless Network Adapter
    driver: mt7921e
  Device-2: Realtek RTL8153 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter type: USB driver: r8152
$ inxi --bluetooth
Bluetooth:
  Device-1: Foxconn / Hon Hai Wireless_Device type: USB driver: btusb
  Report: rfkill ID: hci0 state: up address: see --recommends

Hi @jchanke, and welcome!

In order for us, or anyone for that matter, to be able to provide assistance, more information is necessary. To that end, please see:

Hope you manage!

:bangbang: Tip: :bangbang:

To provide terminal output, copy the text you wish to share, and paste it here, surrounded by three (3) backticks, a.k.a grave accents. Like this:

```
pasted text
```

This will just cause it to be rendered like this:

Portaest sed
elementum
cursus nisl nisi
hendrerit ac quis
sit
adipiscing
tortor sit leo commodo.

Instead of like this:

Portaest sed elementum cursus nisl nisi hendrerit ac quis sit adipiscing tortor sit leo commodo.

Alternatively, paste the text you wish to format as terminal output, select all pasted text, and click the </> button on the taskbar. This will indent the whole pasted section with one TAB, causing it to render the same way as described above.

Thereby improving legibility and making it much easier for those trying to be of assistance.

:bangbang::bangbang: Also, if your language isn’t English, please prepend any and all terminal commands with LC_ALL=C. For example:

LC_ALL=C bluetoothctl

This will just cause the terminal output to be in English, making it easier to understand and debug.

Please edit your post accordingly.

Also, please provide the output of:

rfkill

I have a feeling he has a combined Broadcom chip for his WiFi/Blootooth, but we’ll see after he posts the needed info :wink:

This is nothing to worry about for now…

The first recommendation here often given is to make sure that Windows is indeed fully shut down
and that any fast startup option in the Bios/UEFI settings is disabled.
Else the driver may not be able to properly initialize the controller, causing it to not work.

Hi to everyone who replied - I updated Windows 11 and now everything’s working (for now at least). Unfortunately I don’t know how it got resolved (for anyone reading), but hope it works out!

To everyone who helped out, thank you so much!! :slight_smile: