Call for testers: Manjaro COSMIC

I just patched it so now it will switch between Adwaita-maia / Adwaita-maia-dark. You’ll need pop-desktop-widget 0.1.0.r60.1652fc8-2 which I just pushed to unstable and testing.

EDIT: Replaced the images on the Appearance panel to match the theme with 0.1.0.r60.1652fc8-3.

EDIT 2: The images look even better with 0.1.0.r60.1652fc8-4. Thanks to @bogdancovaciu

If you want to use a different theme, use Tweaks instead and leave the Appearance panel alone.

1 Like

the button in settings to change the position of date and time does nothing

Can’t reproduce. Do you have the Pop COSMIC extension enabled?

no it wasn’t enabled. i am so stupid
thank you for helping

PSA: Unfortunately, Pop Cosmic and Cosmic Dock are not working with GNOME 41 yet.

I’ve reverted back to Dash to Dock last week, removing all Cosmic packages.

Upgrading to Gnome 41 was unexpectedly harmless ; I haven’t dozens of extensions though.

As Pop OS follows Ubuntu releases, Pop packages are indeed prone to fall behind Gnome new versions.
Without even considering the new DE in development not Gnome related, following the Gnome-System 76 war… maybe there won’t be Cosmic packages for Gnome 42 or 43.

1 Like

If I recall I heard talk of them making a Rust based DE all their own…

1 Like

Yes. I read the same news. Seems like their rift with the Gnome team is getting bigger by the week. There are also job openings on their website for Rust developers so I think they mean business.

Good news: System76 is currently working with Fedora to package COSMIC. That means GNOME 41 compatibility may come a little sooner.

Any update on this?

I just pushed updates for gnome-control-center-cosmic, gnome-shell-extension-cosmic-dock and pop-cosmic to all branches. All COSMIC extensions can be enabled now with GNOME 41.

Upcoming preview of the new application launcher:

4 Likes

Installed the latest update but it still says: ‘The extension is incompatible with the current GNOME version’

Is there anything else I need to do?

1 Like

Disable extension version validation:

gsettings set org.gnome.shell disable-extension-version-validation "true"
1 Like

Thanks for that. It’s working now.

Is right-click currently not operational for the dock?

1 Like

No, it’s not. I haven’t figured out why yet.

Would there be a beta iso for this community edition by any chance? :eyes: :eyes: :eyes:

There wouldn’t be much point right now as the cosmic package group can be installed easily in GNOME. However, System76 has been talking about doing they’re own thing with Pop!_OS apart from GNOME all written in Rust. I’ve seen some WIP projects like libcosmic and cosmic-panel so far, but it could be awhile until that’s finished.

In the meantime (as long as things are relatively stable) I could create a COSMIC session that could be chosen from the login screen; i.e,:

• GNOME
  • GNOME on Xorg
  • GNOME Classic
  • COSMIC

Also I’m considering adding all the System76 packages for hardware support to the repos and will be in talks with them to add mention of them to their support pages.

What do you folks think about that?

1 Like

I’ve been a bit hesitant on installing the COSMIC packages because I couldn’t really figure out which ones I needed, what their dependencies are and what I needed to get rid of if it’s not stable enough on my computer (yes, I am very carefull with my laptop as it is my daily driver work laptop).

Just having a session there would be great. A tutorial like the one on activation Wayland on Gnome with nvidia would be a great alternative.

Does COSMIC now work on Wayland btw?

About the hardware, would those include their awesome nvidia and optimus support? They handle those really well tbh. It’s about the only thing I really miss after making the switch.

But then again, those might also not support Wayland all that well :thinking:

I wonder how their DE will be. Gnome and KDE have a lot of legacy to keep in mind but if they handle this fresh start approach right, they could be on to something.

1 Like

That’s why I created a cosmic package group. You did read the first post, right? :wink:

I don’t know, does it? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Technically Wayland isn’t supported. I use a Xorg session since hardware acceleration still isn’t quite up to par with XWayland and NVIDIA. It’s been improving a lot lately, however.

Mainly just their driver packages. I already manage most of them in the AUR, anyway.

I haven’t looked at their hybrid NVIDIA driver stuff since I can’t test it. My laptop has a dedicated NVIDIA GPU. I have a System76 Serval WS 12 (it has a desktop processor! :drooling_face: )

Here’s a potential list:

• gnome-shell-extension-system76-power
  • pop-shell-plugin-system76-power
  • system76-acpi-dkms
  • system76-dkms
  • system76-driver
  • system76-firmware
  • system76-firmware-daemon
  • system76-io-dkms
  • system76-oled
  • system76-power
  • system76-wallpapers

Maybe even keyboard-configurator, but I don’t own a Launch keyboard. I could talk to ahoneybun about it. I’ve collaborated with him before. He’s a System76 employee and manages the AUR package.

1 Like

I installed this and it looks great! I have always liked the look of Pop!_OS, but I like Manjaro’s package manager and the AUR much better. This is the best of both worlds. Having a few problems though. The main one is when I click on the launcher button or the applications button on my dock, nothing happens. When I hit the super key I get the launcher but nothing on the dock button.