Call for testers: Manjaro COSMIC

In the optional dependencies there is a conflict between pop-gtk-theme and pop-gnome-shell-theme.

This leads to the following and many more lines in the same manner:

- /usr/share/gnome-shell/theme/Pop/pointer-primary-click-symbolic.svg exists in both pop-gtk-theme and pop-gnome-shell-theme
- /usr/share/gnome-shell/theme/Pop/pointer-secondary-click-symbolic.svg exists in both pop-gtk-theme and pop-gnome-shell-theme
- /usr/share/gnome-shell/theme/Pop/process-working.svg exists in both pop-gtk-theme and pop-gnome-shell-theme
- /usr/share/gnome-shell/theme/Pop/toggle-off-dark.svg exists in both pop-gtk-theme and pop-gnome-shell-theme
- /usr/share/gnome-shell/theme/Pop/toggle-off-hc.svg exists in both pop-gtk-theme and pop-gnome-shell-theme
- /usr/share/gnome-shell/theme/Pop/toggle-off.svg exists in both pop-gtk-theme and pop-gnome-shell-theme
- /usr/share/gnome-shell/theme/Pop/toggle-on-dark.svg exists in both pop-gtk-theme and pop-gnome-shell-theme
- /usr/share/gnome-shell/theme/Pop/toggle-on-hc.svg exists in both pop-gtk-theme and pop-gnome-shell-theme
- /usr/share/gnome-shell/theme/Pop/toggle-on.svg exists in both pop-gtk-theme and pop-gnome-shell-theme
- /usr/share/gnome-shell/theme/Pop/window-close-24-symbolic.svg exists in both pop-gtk-theme and pop-gnome-shell-theme
- /usr/share/gnome-shell/theme/Pop/workspace-placeholder.svg exists in both pop-gtk-theme and pop-gnome-shell-theme
- /usr/share/gnome-shell/theme/pop-dark.css exists in both pop-gtk-theme and pop-gnome-shell-theme
- /usr/share/gnome-shell/theme/pop.css exists in both pop-gtk-theme and pop-gnome-shell-theme

Oops. Fixed with pop-gtk-theme 5.4.5-3 & pop-gnome-shell-theme 5.4.5-3.

I think this will be because of conflicts in the keyboard shortcuts - I have the Pop Shell extension enabled on Manjaro Gnome, and in this added the shortcuts for the Pop tiling (super and arrow keys). However, it did not remove the previous default assignment of those keys to Gnomes snap window to left/right, maximise window, restore window. The system ends up being confused when you press one of those keys. I reassigned the conflicting Pop tiling keys in Gnome Settings → Keyboard → Keyboard Shortcuts.

You can run the following script to setup the default Pop Shell shortcuts:

/usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/pop-shell@system76.com/scripts/configure.sh

FYI, the Show Launcher / Workspaces / Applications Icon in Dock option is now working with pop-cosmic 0.1.0.r75.ea74293-3.

Just had a bug with the ‘Applications Overview’ after waking my PC from sleep.
Hitting the ‘Show Applications’ icon on the dock or the button on the task bar resulted in only a gray background being displayed, with nothing visible. It was fixed by disabling/enabling the extension ‘Cosmic Workspaces’.
Journalctl showed the following error:

JS ERROR: TypeError: appGridBox is undefined
_getAppDisplayBoxForState@resource:///org/gnome/shell/ui/overviewControls.js:94:1
workspaceBoxOriginFixer@/usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/cosmic-dock@system76.com/docking.js:2066:51
_prepareMainDash/<@/usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/cosmic-dock@system76.com/docking.js:2084:69
_create/object[name]@/usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/cosmic-dock@system76.com/utils.js:247:68
vfunc_allocate@/usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/cosmic-workspaces@system76.com/overviewControls.js:231:26

I wouldn’t bother with that at all right now, I’d keep it disabled. It’s only an optional dependency for a reason. You don’t need it enabled unless you really want vertical workspaces like GNOME <=3.38. I’ve grown used to the horizontal workspaces in GNOME 40 and now prefer them.

I have Cosmic running (5.14.14-1-MANJARO - GNOME 40.5 - TESTING) with gnome control center Cosmic and Cosmic Workspaces, Cosmic Dock, Pop Cosmic and Pop Shell GNOME Shell Extensions enabled.

Disabled Cosmic Dock to use Dash to Panel. Switched Workspaces on to have the app overview available…

Seems to work smooth for so far. :+1:

I just discovered something ; when I have Pop Cosmic enabled in Extensions, I don’t have the icon/name of the highlighted application in the top left corner:

If I disable it, I get the expected behaviour:

Is there a way to get Pop Cosmic enabled and the application title displayed?
Or would it seem a feature by design from Pop OS?

It’s intentionally disabled.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll try workaround.

I just wonder to myself, which will be compatible with incoming Gnome 41, between Cosmic Dock and Dash to Dock.

I’ll wait and see when it arrives.

(sorry my english, i’m still learning)

I did a cosmic installation on top of cinnamon, and it sounded great! So far I haven’t had any problems, and I’ve been testing it for some time now.

Dash to Dock already is. :wink:

No, you didn’t. :rofl:

2 Likes

Forgot to mention something is overriding the Manjaro Maia default Active Hint Color with Pop!_OS’. I haven’t taken a closer look yet.

To change it to the Manjaro Maia color, run:

gsettings set org.gnome.shell.extensions.pop-shell hint-color-rgba 'rgb(0,135,135)'

You can also change it to any color your like by clicking on the Pop Shell tray icon, click the colored box to the right of Active Hint Color and pick a color. The default Maia color is #008787.

Yes I saw afterwards that there were colour settings. This orange halo was too much for my eyes.

It’s nice to give this hint for those interested.

I don’t use Launcher anyway. Personally, I’ll wait for Gnome 41 to come quietly into Manjaro and test/compare Cosmic Dock and Dash to Dock.

I’ll test the workaround for top bar when I have time, but the English-only menus for all Pop applications is bugging me for the cohesiveness of my system.

Especially Pop Cosmic within Gnome settings, some good Frenglich.

Maybe I’ll try to mimic the benefits of Cosmic with Dash to Dock and Extensions.

Well, that takes someone to translate them. Nudge, nudge, wink wink! :wink:

I’ll try to contribute someday to Manjaro, apprehend Git workload…
Maybe not right now delve into Pop OS development process :stuck_out_tongue:

hey, I have an application theme installed and I think because of it my system is showing it is in light mode

and when i switch the theme to dark in settings the whole application theme chages to to the pop theme

and when i apply a theme it reverts back to light theme on its own

See the first post:

ohh, I didn’t see that
well thanks for the help and I hope it gets fixed