Call for testers: Manjaro COSMIC

Perhaps could have an easy way for users to not get later updates to dependencies than the ones which aren’t already working in S76 upstream versions?

So if Gnome 41 is the highest version in Pop Repos then to not go above that with this? Including for components and bundled Gnome Apps to be the same or lower version, which also appear to be of varied versions in Pop_OS :thinking:

I’m not quite sure I follow. You want fixed package versions on a rolling release distro? That’s not the way it works.

As a workaround, I did:

• Disabled Cosmic Workspaces - they don’t work very well yet on GNOME 41
  • Set again the windows focus (shortcuts settings)
  • Set moving to left/upper workspace - Super + E
  • Set moving to right/bottom workspace - Super + D
  • Automatically, with the shift key you can move the window to these workspaces.

Quick question, I’d like to help out and test it, what’s the risk if I add this DE on a second profile with my Manjaro KDE install? Any chance of conflicts or damaging my current system settings if I use a “testing” account?

Again:

I do not recommend installing GNOME on the same installation as KDE. There will be conflicts. I suggest installing GNOME in a virtual machine instead.

2 Likes

Thanks for reply!

1 Like

New and improved! Firmware updates are now built in to Settings.

Coming to a testing and unstable branch mirror near you!

2 Likes

This is on hold for awhile…

Hallo, there. I’m new from Pop_os to manjaro. AFAIK, the gnome version on Pop_os has been Gnome 42 for a while. I wonder when can we try cosmic on manjaro gnome 42 as well? Thank you!

Pop!_OS 22.04, being based on Ubuntu 22.04, uses a GNOME 42 / 41.4 hybrid and GNOME Control Center 41.4 is still used. It depends on older packages we no longer have.

Hi, thank you for replying. I’ve installed all the relevant packages and found it doesn’t work very well. Specifically the setting part (switch super to launcher) or changing the background doesn’t work. (BTW I’m now at gnome 42.1). It seems to be the incompatible issue on gnome 42 right?

If I would like to have the full cosmic experience, should I downgrade my Gnome? I’m new to manjaro, sorry if the question is stupid and thank you for your great work!

Are you using the testing or unstable branch? Either way, the COSMIC packages have been dropped and are no longer supportedf. You should remove the cosmic group and go back to regular GNOME repo packages.

No, downgrading is not supported. Rolling releases roll forward, not back. You can stay on the stable branch for now if you still want to use COSMIC packages.

I tried to use unstable branch and didn’t found the package, so as a newbie here I switched back to stable branch.

I don’t install the group but individual packages, I’m currently using :

1. gnome-control-center-cosmic
  2. gnome-shell-extension-cosmic-dock
  3. gnome-shell-extension-cosmic-workspaces
  4. pop-cosmic
  5. pop-desktop-widget

Should I remove all these packages as well?

Yes. Be sure to reinstall gnome-control-center and gnome-shell-extension-dash-to-dock (if desired) after.

Yes, thank you and looking forward to the day when Pop shell is fully compatible with Gnome 42! Then I’ll switch my laptop to manjaro as well.

Don’t forget, Pop Shell still works. :wink:

Hahah, yes, but the problem is about using super to open(and subsequently close it in second tap) pop launcher. I found a workaround to open it with super but not closing with it.

This is the most important reason that I want to have a COSMIC environment bcs I can’t find another way to have this work.

I would like to ask if you have any idea how may we have a workaround/solution to emulate this behavior on pop os. Any advise is appreciated.

BTW: I’m honestly pretty impressed by how fast you reply the message and thank u for your delicated work!

One year passed. Will you plan to release COSMIC flavor edition ?

1 Like

See above:

2 Likes

A new topic will be created when the new Cosmic Desktop Environment is ready to be included.