Browsers like Firefox require xdg-desktop-portal package to use OS default file manager

A known issue previously discussed on this forum is the issue where Firefox (and Chrome?) do not use the default file manager, for example to open folder after a download is completed. All suggestions in those 2 topics to update the mime files have no effect after Firefox or system has been restarted.
There is a bug report in the Mozilla bugtracker that contains a solution, for which a package is required: xdg-desktop-portal this package is already installed in a default Manjaro (Gnome) install. Not sure about Manjaro KDE Plasma (it would need the xdg-desktop-portal-kde package).

Guide to let Firefox use your default Filemanager

If you have want something else than Nautilus
Difficulty: ★★☆☆☆

1. Open a Terminal window, change your default filemanager using the xdg-mime default command below. This example will change it to Nemo. (To install nemo, use Add/Remove Software or simply run pamac install --noconfirm nemo).
xdg-mime default nemo.desktop inode/directory
  1. Open about:config in Firefox v98 or higher.
  2. Search for the following two settings and change both from 2 to 1:
widget.use-xdg-desktop-portal.file-picker
widget.widget.use-xdg-desktop-portal.mime-handler
  1. Restart Firefox.
  2. Test by downloading a file via Firefox and hit the button next to the download to open the folder. Notice it should open Nemo instead of Nautilus.

References:
1285711 - Firefox does not use default file manager
StaticPrefList.yaml - mozsearch

Hi @zilexa,

Thank you for this! I am sure it’ll be handy.

However, can I ask you to please reformat the guide according to

…so that it’s in line with other guides as well?

Thank you!

1 Like

I will fix it later tonight! Thanks!

edit @Mirdathos hope it’s better like this?