Brother MFC-J6510DW printer won't connect to printer even with CUPS installed

I installed my mfc-j8800-dw recently on a fresh install.

Make sure system-config-printer is installed. Turn the printer on & open print settings. (system-config-printer)

From there simply ‘add’ the printer. That’s it. Done & dusted.

That is the ideal/easy case.
That’ll only work if and when the correct/appropriate driver for the specific printer is installed/available
which it isn’t (by default) in this case :wink:
His/Her printer needs a driver only available from the AUR.

I tried that, it might be a error in coding in the PDD file, that the comment on the Arch website mentioned, Brother looks like they made that error when making that deb file

Your device URI: should be:
ipp://169.254.172.95/BINARY_P1

no effect

can you access your printer from browser:
http://169.254.172.95

I did get some strange warning from my console while I was searching for the server and the drivers

(system-config-printer.py:212873): Gtk-WARNING **: 03:05:55.386: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:68:35: The style property GtkButton:child-displacement-x is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version

(system-config-printer.py:212873): Gtk-WARNING **: 03:05:55.386: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:69:35: The style property GtkButton:child-displacement-y is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version

(system-config-printer.py:212873): Gtk-WARNING **: 03:05:55.386: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:73:46: The style property GtkScrolledWindow:scrollbars-within-bevel is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version
/usr/share/system-config-printer/system-config-printer.py:315: DeprecationWarning: Gtk.ActionGroup.list_actions is deprecated
  for action in printer_manager_action_group.list_actions ():
/usr/share/system-config-printer/system-config-printer.py:316: DeprecationWarning: Gtk.Action.set_sensitive is deprecated
  action.set_sensitive (False)

No, the above address, can you access the printer from your browser?

@ theshadow6967

I’ve also installed the printer using this way.

Have a look at that topic.

I downloaded dpkg from package manager to use brother’s method at the start of all this, its one of the first things I did.
is ‘ysy -S dpkg’ any better?

no, I can not access it via my browser

… but, my man, that is not the same printer
and you’d only do it that way if the AUR didn’t have to offer a choice … which is really rare

@theshadow6967 that is your problem… Before you can add the printer, the print server in the printer must be accessible.

You need to fix that issue first.

@ Nachlese
It works for brother printers. It’s been a while since I have done it that way but it works for ‘brother printers’.

it only matters where the files that are inside the .deb file are put (it’s just an archive) - and what additional configuration steps are necessary to make it work
That should all be taken care of/defined in the PKGBUILD file from AUR.
… it should …

@ theshadow6967

Not knowing your system maybe cups needs updating?

Check out the link to the ‘stable’ topic too.

the only protocols disabled are IPv6 and LLTD
APIPA is enabled, could it be that? the Apipa?

I already tried a factory reset, and all that changed was the IP address

That is beyond the scope of this forum… You have to get you printer up and running and accessible from the address you are trying to add a printer for. Then your OS can add and configure the printer to the system.

I suggest to try Brother Forums.

I’m going to use a PC with windows, and install the drivers for the printer, maybe, just maybe it a software issue with the printer and its access protocol, otherwise I’m going to reboot KDE

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.