Boot stuck after update

The free drivers are the one that gives me that mention of the CPU soft lockup bug. Googling I found using nonfree could help, and the soft lockup bug mention went away indeed, but it hangs on that sentence after which my fan starts blowing very loudly.

I remember vaguely I had to use the command bogdancovaciu mentioned at times of installation. But I’m unsure about other things I did to get in. I used it to install Manjaro two years ago so there must be a way, if only I figured out how I did it back then.

I always kept that liveboot usb with my laptop because I figured I know too little to not screw up sooner or later :sweat_smile:. I had only used Linux for 1 or 2 years and just one day installed Manjaro in a “now I have to learn” mindset overwriting Windows. Untill yesterday it went great, I learned a lot but still know far from everything. Each time I’ve got a issue I learn more :upside_down_face:. But that’s also why I might not know some basic things if I hadn’t need for them before despite using it for a few years now :sweat_smile:.

I have found your thread :smiley:

ok well… you were able to change TTY ?

1 Like

Maybe I’m saying something that’s obviously not possible or a dumb idea.

But is it maybe possible to use my Windows10 desktop to download packages (or something else), put them on a USB stick, boot into grub from my pc and then mount that usb and install the packages from local files?

I have an old Linux installation on there but I had other completely unrelated issues causing instability I didn’t had the time to look into yet. I use it for gaming so I rarely boot it into Linux anyways. But if need be I can give it a try.

Oh great!

Let me check. You mean to ask now if I can change TTY on the already installed broken OS?

Maybe, i am not 100% sure. But when the TLP error occurs, change the tty with

CTRL + ALT + F1

That is because we don’t want pictures of text, so what you’re doing is the right thing. :+1:

Please read this:

And in the future, when providing code/output, please copy-paste it in-between 3 backticks at the beginning and end of the code/text ``` so that the output looks like this:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.
Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.
Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur.
Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

instead of like this:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

(as that makes our life much easier so you get helped more quickly and efficiently)

:innocent:

1 Like

Ctrl+alt+F1 seems the broken version. But ctrl+alt+F2 does indeed bring me to a TTY2

1 Like

Thank you!

As far as pictures go. It’s mainly because I’m on a phone typing stuff while sitting in front of my laptop, hence I figured pictures might have been more easy and less prone to typos. If that’s the preference I’ll keep typing it.

Thanks. I wasn’t sure how to easily make those code blocks on my phone. 3 backticks it is! I’ll make sure next posts will have it!

2 Likes

Do you have a internet connection now?

ping -c 2 manjaro.org
1 Like
PING manjaro.org (176.9.38.148) 56(84) bytes of data 
64 bytes from mail.manjaro.org (176.9.38.148):icmp_seq=1 TTL=52 time=29.2ms
64 bytes from mail.manjaro.org (176.9.38.148):icmp_seq=2 TTL=52 time=36.1ms

--- manjaro.org ping statistics ---
2 packets transmitted, 2 received, 0% packet loss, time 1001ms
rtt min/avg/mdev = 29.237/33.648/36.060/3.411 ms

I think that means I do.

1 Like

Now you can fix the problem.

remove all packages related to nvidia.

lib32-nvidia-450xx-utils
lib32-opencl-nvidia-450xx
nvidia-450xx-utils
linux-414-nvidia-450xx
linux-419-nvidia-450xx
linux-54-nvidia-450xx

let the 430xx stay

Then remove and reinstall the driver with mhwd:

sudo mhwd -r pci video-nvidia-430xx
sudo mhwd -i pci video-nvidia-430xx
1 Like

I can’t remove them because the dependency with cuda breaks.

checking dependencies...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: removing nvidia-450xx-utils breaks dependency 'nvidia-utils>=450.51.06' required by cuda

The 430xx aren’t installed at this moment, since they’ld conflict with their 450xx counterparts.

Assuming 450xx will work when installed properly the newer driver is fine too. Would it perhaps work if I use

mhwd --install pci video-nvidia-450xx

And if that goes without error should I remove the 430xx one? Since I installed the packages of 450xx trough octopi but nothing else?

You can do it like this, but i would rather suggest to remove it first.

remove

sudo mhwd -r pci video-nvidia-450xx

install

sudo mhwd -i pci video-nvidia-450xx

Right now trying to remove it just returns

Error: config 'video-nvidia-450xx' is not installed!

I assume because the idiot that I am I only installed the packages trough octopi. Hence, I figured I might be able to install it properly using the install command. At this point I don’t dare to try until I’m told I should. Don’t want to ■■■■ up more :sweat_smile:.

So, is in this case only the install ok?

You have installed 450xx from AUR using octopi. Therefore, to be safe, remove 450xx packages with pacman.

pacman -R linux-414-nvidia-450xx linux-419-nvidia-450xx linux-54-nvidia-450xx  nvidia-450xx-utils  lib32-opencl-nvidia-450xx lib32-nvidia-450xx-utils

then use mhwd. it uses the official packages.

note: i misunderstood. octopi is a pacman gui :smiley:

I did not use AUR for this as far as I’m aware? Normally I can only find AUR packages not installed by searching them with yay, not in the list of octopi. They also had a square before them after installation instead of the alien head my AUR packages have. The packages of all available drivers from official repositories are visible in octopi, both older and newer ones.

I also can’t remove the nvidia-450xx-utils due to the cuda dependency. Or is there a way I can enforce that that I should use?

Due to the note, is there a way to enforce deinstalling despite the cuda dependency or should I just reinstall since I used the official repository?

just run it :see_no_evil: It will not hurt.

1 Like

I’m a bit careful now. Nothing worse than someone who asks support then makes it worse before support can fix it by doing stuff without consulting support :sweat_smile:.

It says it’s successfully installed.

Should I remove the 430xx config or reboot and hope it’s booting properly now?

what says:

mhwd -li