AUR (with command line tools) fail to show new version available on AUR (internet)

Hi !
Since a few days a new discord update is available on the Arch User Repository (and I insist on this point! I’m not here to complain about a package maintainer being too slow, he already did what’s necessary.)

If you take a look at the AUR on the web it shows that the package is already at version 0.0.20-1. But all CLI tools like pacman or pamac still show 0.0.19-1 version as the actual one and don’t allow me to do the update.

The only way to get the update is to uninstall and get the update on internet (on AUR : download from mirror). How can I avoid that?
I think the problem is just after being updated the package has been flagged as out of date. I don’t understand how it happen exactly but I don’t find any other explanation to the problem.

Can you help me to understand the problem, so I can report it and use packages manager to update the app again?
Thank you for your help.

You have to enable AUR in pamac. Probably the easiest way is to do it in the graphical interface.

You are getting only the results from the official repos (community in this case)

Thanks but it is not the problem. But thank you very much because I was thinking those were already enabled and I wasn’t understanding why it didn’t upgraded automatically the AUR packages I installed along with the others when I was updating my system.

The default discord package is available in the community repository. Enabling AUR package repository just show by default more experimental packages that I was already able to see and install with pamac search -a, some of them being compiled in the right version but with compilation options that I don’t want. The default package is still shown as 0.0.19-1 and if I uninstall, then reinstall with AUR packages enabled the old version is still installed. But if you browse online at Arch Linux - Package Search or Arch Linux - discord 0.0.20-1 (x86_64) you will see that the last version is 0.0.20-1 even if it is a community package. You’ll see the package version is colored red contrary to most of the other AUR packages, to signal it is out of date, while in reality this version is perfectly up to date.

My theory is that it has been flagged as out of date right after the update was done. So the 0.0.20 is flagged but not the 0.0.19 version. pamac/pacman then choose the version that isn’t flagged as ood over the last version which is flagged.

Is it possible? If so can we make pamac ignore out of date flag to switch to newer versions and make it flags errors agnostic?

1. discord is not an AUR package. It is in the repositories.
  2. You are looking at the Arch Linux package search. If you run Manjaro you should use their tool instead Packages. As you can see there, the latest available version in stable is 0.0.19
  3. The functionality of flagging a package on the Arch page is simply to notify the maintainer of a new upstream release of some software. It has no effect on your package-manager.
2 Likes
  1. I haven’t used discord in a few years but am I remembering correctly that it stops working when it’s out-of-date?

2. I know this is basically duplicate of what @moson said but I’ll repeat, you’re looking at the Arch repository. More specifically a package in the official community repository and not AUR, and here is some info regarding arch repositories.

3. If you cannot wait, you can grab the current version of discord from manjaro’s unstable or testing branch repositories.

4. I don’t think there is anything that needs to reported to package maintainers, as you know manjaro stable repository packages typically go through unstable and testing branches first.

1 Like

To avoid confusion, the packages from the official repositories are named differently than those from AUR.
To use an AUR package, you will have to uninstall the package from the official repo, and then install the corresponding package from AUR.
Pamac will show you the repository for each package. To use the AUR package make sure you indeed select that one for installing.
Updated versions present in AUR will only be detected and installed if you really have the AUR package installed.

I just wanted to emphasize @moson’s #2 response. Definitely check out Manjaro’s https://packages.manjaro.org. It was recently improved and annouced in Manjaro’s blog.

Leaving that here again

Don’t install Discord from repositories as Discord block users from connecting if they don’t apply latest patch immediately. There are MANY alternatives to using the repositories package for Discord. And even if you use the repositories package, then you can simply edit the version number in one of its files temporarily until the latest update reaches Manjaro.

Manjaro doesn’t package Discord so it has to be updated on Arch, then tested on Manjaro and pushed to all branches. This is a regular issue, because Arch and Manjaro devs are not keeping up with each Discord release instantly, this is not in their priority (it was outdated at least for two days in Arch this time).

Just don’t use the repositories package for Discord, install it locally and you’re good you can do the update manually as soon as it releases and don’t need to wait Arch and then Manjaro devs to package and release it (which will occur again and again as Discord is not an important package for Arch and Manjaro devs, obviously as it happened multiple times already).

1 Like

if you use yay -Sua it will check for updates for the AUR packages that you have installed and install them. Simple as that.

edit: yay is an “AUR helper”. You will not be able to use pacman for your AUR packages.

But he didn’t install the AUR package, he installed the repository package as you could have seen in the first post.

And now he knows how to update his AUR packages in the future. Which sounds like he should know since he wants to use packages from the AUR like this latest Discord he’s talking about. What exactly did you teach him by responding to me?

This also shows up in terminal with pamac search… 11th package up…

Now do pamac install discord-electron-bin right?

With Paru or Yay we see also the votes:

OP is a good example of why posting screenshots may be sub-optimal and/or misleading

Package discord is available from Arch community repository not Arch User Repository
Arch Linux - discord 0.0.20-1 (x86_64)
This package is also available from Manjaro community repository
But stable branch has not yet been updated to v0.20.0

$ mbn info discord -q
Branch         : archlinux
Name           : discord
Version        : 0.0.20-1
Repository     : community
Build Date     : Thu 15 Sep 2022 18:10:31 
Packager       : Morgan Adamiec <morganamilo@archlinux.org>
Branch         : unstable
Branch         : testing
Branch         : stable
Version        : 0.0.19-1
Build Date     : Wed 10 Aug 2022 18:27:23 

This is just an additional to post #4 to show that Manjaro has working CLI tools

make it flags errors agnostic?

As already stated in post#4, Manjaro packages are not affected by out of date flags on Arch

With Paru or Yay we see also the votes

Manjaro packages are not affected by votes for AUR packages so another AUR helper is not needed

Thank you all very much, you teach me a lot.
Thanks for your many responses

I was thinking that Manjaro’s packages were just a subset of AUR’s packages, sorry for that. That’s what lead me to misunderstand and interpret a classic update not available problem as a more tricky problem. As you may have understood the AUR repository was flagged as outdated the same day the maintainer updated the package, which doesn’t matter in reality but focused my confusion even more.

You provided me some solutions :

• change a file to stop discord forcing the update
  • switch to testing branch
  • install an other discord client

I’ll try second and third solutions, the first one another time.

I want to ask: how can you get an AUR package when there is a Manjaro package named the same? If I understand correctly that’s what yay does, is it possible to do it with pacman and pamac?

@Ben That’s what I was meaning with

Enabling AUR package repository just show by default more experimental packages that I was already able to see and install with pamac search -a, some of them being compiled in the right version but with compilation options that I don’t want.

Those packages are not equivalent and I don’t want those. These are for specific use cases, which is using different electron versions, installed as dependencies and not in the discord package. Or at least it’s what I understand.

@omano I’m not sure to understand what you’re saying, especially for the third sentence.

Just don’t use the repositories package for Discord, install it locally and you’re good you can do the update manually as soon as it releases and don’t need to wait Arch and then Manjaro devs to package and release it (which will occur again and again as Discord is not an important package for Arch and Manjaro devs, obviously as it happened multiple times already).

How can I install it manually/locally? Discord only provide updates for debian like systems or at least that’s what I thought. I don’t know how the package maintainers do their thing, I’ll admit. I can get the update somewhere else? Is it what you suggest?

Again thank you all for yours interesting answers.

Well there’s always webcord (AUR) which doesn’t block you because of pending updates… and is a Discord and Fosscord client which is open source, and better in terms of privacy :wink:

It’s a super duper hacker app :wink: give it a go.

Otherwise look for appimage - this one updated at around 1250 GMT today (seven minutes ago):

@Ben I should try another client indeed, I’ll try that.

Thank you!

If you read what I sent, yes, there is like a dozen ways to get Discord, I posted a few

The simple way is to download it directly from Discord, which does not only provide a DEB package, but also a TAR file that you can decompress in your Home folder where you want. Then you can run Discord executable from there, end of story.

Also there is always some good info in the Arch Wiki Discord - ArchWiki

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.