ASUS AMD Radeon R9 290 OC Vertical stripes and freezing(elpida memory)

Hello. I have ASUS AMD Radeon R9 290 OC with vertical stripes and freezing issue. GPU works until AMDGPU kernel modesetting initialization begins(with nomodeset kernel parameter it’s working in text mode). I’ve heard that BIOS modification can help with that. Also I have R9 280X which does not have vertical stripes, but freezes when modesetting begins.
Please… help me, it’s very important for me…

Hi @Rohukonn, and welcome!

1. While I don’t have an AMD graphics card or CPU, so probably won’t be able to help you, I can point you in this direction: How to provide good information and, if applicable, here: [HowTo] post screenshots and links

2. Have you tried with a different Kernel version?

Hope you get it sorted!

Well, I would share more information if I could, but problem is, it freezes without nomodeset kernel parameter. But I took picture about the error, I removed quiet flag.
Error: https://www.upload.ee/image/13622185/error.jpg

Can you boot into a live ISO environment?

no I can’t. It’s hardware issue.

Well, this might sound bad, so excuse me.

But if it’s a hardware issue, and you know this, then why are you requesting support and help on a software forum?

If it’s hardware, it either needs to be replaced or repaired. Both physically. Neither of which an be done from here…

Well. I asked the same question from Manjaro community telegram group and it’s pretty common issue with R9 200 series, they said I should ask that type of question from here. You’re right, it needs repaired, but as far as I know, this can be fixed with vbios flashing, I just came here with hope, somebody, somehow can give me at least a lead where to start. I understand yeah, it’s not quite correct forum, but I don’t know other options. Do you know any forums or telegram groups or even discord servers where I can ask help with my R9 vbios. Thanks for your answer though. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have absolutely zero (0), no, none idea, sorry.

What about the actual manufacturer Asus? Or contact the seller for a replacement.