[ARM Stable Update] 2021-11-30 - Gnome 41, Pamac, LXQT 1.0, Firefox and Kernels

Manjaro-Arm-Gnome-linux-5.15.1-3 GT King Pro, Kernel Panic/System Freeze during the last few stages of Update to Stable-Updates-2021-11-30 which render the USB Flash no longer able to boot up. Had to re-burn image using Manjaro-Arm-Gnome 21.10.

On first boot after new image installation Manjaro-Arm-Gnome-linux-5.14.12-1 (version 21.10), kernel panic during booting up process. Power cycle, it boot up fine.

Proceeded to update to latest Stable-Updates-2021-11-30 and updates successfully (download size: 809.37 MiB and Installed Size: 3249.74 MiB). Power cycle to Reboot. Booted up successfully to the latest Stable-Updates-2021-11-30 linux-kernel-5.15.5-1.

While editing this message, kernel panic strike again (uptime around 30 minutes). Power cycle, boot up successfully. Another kernel panic happened during editing a document (uptime around 20 minutes) this co-inside with the screen flash artifacts (default governor=schedutil and min_speed=100MHz if not mistaken). Remember that that the cpu frequency switch might cause stability issue.

Third power cycle, first thing “sudo cpupower frequency-set -g performance” to set governor to performance for the time being see whether stability improves (kernel .
panic).
Previously with Manjaro-Arm-Gnome mainline linux kernels with governor=performance or governor=schedutil but min_speed=1GHz did Not experience any kernel panic once successfully boot up since June 2021. Had three kernel panic during booting up process out of many boot ups since June.

By the way, firmware BCM4356A2.hcd is missing, this is required for Bluetooth to be activated on GT King Pro.

System still working with governor=performance current uptime of 2h48 minutes.

Somehow neofetch is reporting “Resolution: 720x576i” instead of “1920x1080p/60” according to Gnome Settings.

Edit: Just an update. With Governor set to “performance” (uptime around 4 hours with no kernel panic) or with governor set to “schedutil” and cpu min_speed=1GHz resolved the occasional “screen flashes artifacts”.

GT King Pro XFCE with cpu governor=performance updated to latest Stable successfully.

Run

sudo pacman -Syu --overwrite /etc/udev/rules.d/99-vcio-rewrite.rules

I have noticed one regression in Plasma Mobile: It now often resets the favorites (the shortcut bar on the bottom of the screen) on startup, putting only Phone and Phonebook there. (I normally have Spacebar and Angelfish added.)

Also, if you have noticed the eg25-manager hotfix that was issued separately, as far as I can tell, it has this fix for PinePhone Pro support. (So the eg25-manager hotfix should not make any difference for the regular PinePhone or for any other hardware.)

@Strit & @nl.smart: Thanks! That worked perfectly.

If anyone’s curious, this is the change. I haven’t researched yet to understand what it does, but what I’ve gathered so far is that the GPU subystem is changing somehow.

OLD:

❯ bat 99-vcio-rewrite.rules
───────┬───────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
       │ File: 99-vcio-rewrite.rules
───────┼───────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
   1   │ KERNEL=="vcio", GROUP="video", MODE="0660"
   2   │ KERNEL=="vchiq", GROUP="video", MODE="0660"

NEW:

❯ bat 99-vcio-rewrite.rules
───────┬───────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
       │ File: 99-vcio-rewrite.rules
───────┼───────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
   1   │ KERNEL=="vcio", GROUP="video", MODE="0660"
   2   │ KERNEL=="vchiq", GROUP="video", MODE="0660"
   3   │ SUBSYSTEM=="vc-sm", GROUP="video", MODE="0660"

All it does is allow for one to run certain things if you are a member of the group “video” without having to use sudo.

1 Like

Update went without problems. Issue of last month about xorg-xwayland regression is still there ([ARM Stable Update] 2021-11-06 - Firefox, Thunderbird, Plasma, LibreOffice and Kernels - #20 by appelgriebsch).

hmm no issue on my end. I’m on latest testing though, but my xwayland version still sticks to 21.1.2-1 (which is known to be the last working version)…

EDIT: ahhh I see the updated version of xwayland to 21.1.3 made it to the stable branch update :frowning:

It didn’t. Stable branch also has 21.1.2.
The problem might be that the user already has 21.1.3. The update does not automatically downgrade packages. To update and downgrade at the same time, run sudo pacman -Syuu.

Hmmm but its listed here: Sign in · GitLab

xorg-xwayland 21.1.2.901-1 21.1.3-1

That’s just because we didn’t block the one from Arch ARM, but we added an overlay instead.

So what i have to do ?

Please run

yay -Syyuu

to make a whole system upgrade.

It should ask you if you want to downgrade xorg-xwayland. Please do so.

Do

But I can’t ever call

What’s the issue?

if you haven’t yay installed, you can replace it with sudo pacman instead

I can not call

I have do sudo pacman -Syyuu

I have do yay -Syyuu

Same sentence now

There is nothing to do

I have restart pinephone

I can’t call

oh pardon… was referring to another issue in the chat :frowning:

Thank you, that helped the xorg-xwayland issue!
I didn’t notice, with the update of 2021-11-30, that one of the first lines mentioned the version difference.

I’m getting this issue: xorg-server and xf86-video-fbturbo-git are in conflict (X-ABI-VIDEODRV_VERSION). Remove xf86-video-fbturbo-git?

Not having been able to find this mentioned anywhere I’m a little leary of saying yes and breaking the video on my PbP

See the Issues And Solutions post (which is post number 2 in this thread) for explanation for that.