Are concerns about GRUB breaking LUKS no longer an issue?

Some time ago, when it was first proposed to move the updated grub package to Testing, then to Stable, there was concern about system breakage because grub needed to be re-installed manually. Is this no longer an issue?

I would also love an answer to that.

I remember LUKS broke a while ago with a grub update and we had the flood of “Cryptodisk not found” posts.

Is there an definite answer what to do in that case? I still get the error, but can just press a key to boot normally.

Given the new grub vulnerabilities its prolly time to finally deal with that on my machine.

[Stable-Update-2023-03-31]

Known issues and solutions

:arrow_right: 2023-03-31

GRUB: some backwards hardware compatibility has been restored

A modification has been reverted in order to restore support to old motherboards: [Unstable Update] 2023-02-17 - Plasma 5.27 LTS, GNOME, Python - #51 by philm

GRUB, LUKS and full disk encryption: 'no such cryptodisk found'

Following grub’s update, new configuration may be needed to be manually applied:

• Check for modifications to /etc/default/grub
    Most notably, if you use LUKS with full disk encryption, you may need to:
    • check that GRUB_ENABLE_CRYPTODISK=y is not commented out
  • Don’t use tools like grub-customizer as it may create issues with the grub.cfg file.
  • Check if the UUID of your encrypted drive matches in your config files.
  • Based on the manual, unlike filesystem UUIDs, UUIDs for encrypted devices must be specified without dash separators. So check /boot/grub/grub.cfg for entries like cryptomount -u 3722dfb2-3b32-414b-bd59-4329fa92b6a9 and try to remove the dash separators.
  • If you modified the above configuration, you then need to update the grub menu with sudo update-grub.
  • A message “no such cryptodisk found” may appear on the following reboot, but should not prevent you from continuing by typing any key.

You may still want to have a liveUSB ready, in the rare case your bootloader does break, in which case you will need to reinstall grub.

For more details:

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply! Sounds like the short answer is no issue with a simple setup without disk encryption. :slightly_smiling_face:

The problem is that the threads linked in this “Known Issues” have completely different statements.

Sometimes you need to manually reinstall grub, sometimes you dont. Sometimes you want to blacklist grub from updating.

Then there is also 10 different command lines you wanna use to update grub.

Then there is the patch which says that LUKS GUID’s with dashes work again, but im still getting the warning.

So … i’m confused.

Stable update announcement has a number of links to later forum topics

No such cryptodisk error message with no error on boot/reboot

Can’t boot LUKS encrypted install after 2023-03-31 stable update

After Update- Error: no such cryptdisk found

“no such cryptodisk found” error without breaking boot-up ?!

And just like i said before : There are 1 million solutions listed and now half a year passed, so i thought we would have a solid wiki post about it now.

My question is : Does pamac actually update the grub bootloader or just the installed grub package and we need to update the bootloader ourselfs?

Just to be proactive on my EFI system, based on previous advice, and before I rebooted, I ran the two following commands in Terminal:

Reference: GRUB/Restore the GRUB Bootloader - Manjaro

sudo grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=manjaro --recheck
sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Of course “your mileage may vary” based on the configuration of your particular system, setup, etc, which is why I included the URL as a reference in this post. I am no expert, just a Manjaro user.

My assumption is that running these commands is in general no longer necessary since there was no mention in the latest Testing or Stable update, and also no reports of widespread breakage.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.