Add secondary drive in steam

Just made the switch from Windows to Manjaro Gnome. I’m having trouble getting steam to see my secondary SSD. I can see it in the file explorer but I cannot access it through steam. Help I’m a linux noob

Hello @ForAK and welcome to the Manjaro forum.

You can do it just like in windows. Go in steam to:

Settings -> Downloads -> Steam-libraryfolder(Button)

At the new window click on the “+” right of the library which called “/home”. and choose the path to your ssd that you see in your file explorer. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

It does not show up there

What is the path for your steam library on your ssd shown up in your file explorer?

/run/media/akash/1659c684-8b8a-46cb-9480-006e77b2c403/

NTFS disk, am I right? Also it seems it is not mounted properly, what you show is the automount from file explorer, see post below and do that first, mount your disk properly on boot, so Steam always has access to it.

Drives are a Windows thing. :wink:

1 Like

Ok, at first I whould suggest to create a extra directory for your steam-library on these ssd. You can do it in your file explorer if you want. If the whole ssd is your steam-library and still full of games from your windows installation I also suggest to create an extra dirctory and move the (game-)folders in it.

Your mountpoint is at /run/media/.... Which means points to a temporary mountet media. Which means for your that your system sees these “ssd” probably first after you have mount it.
If its so you need to “mount” your ssd before you start steam. You can do this easily by open it with your file explorer.

After than you can go back to steam to the “add library” point.
In the list there I suggest first to scroll up and click the “-” in front of “home” to make it more visible.
Now you should see the whole linux filesystem and also the folder “run”. Now click the “+” before “run” and you can scroll down to “media”. The “+” before “media” leads you further to your goal. I guess you will get the trick! :slightly_smiling_face:

And he’ll lose his library and would have to do that again the day he starts steam without manually mounting his disk. The disk needs to be mounted on boot for a proper setup.

//EDIT: the disk needs to be EXT4 for proper compatibility without manually doing som tricks for everything to work properly. If you plan to keep a NTFS disk from Windows with your game files, this is a BAD idea, you’ve been warned.

1 Like

Yes you are right. :exclamation:

… but in the end its a question of workflow. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Yes it was NTFS but i reformatted to EXT4, but I still have the same issue

I have no issue in reformatting to EXT4 or whatever FS it needs to be. But I’m still lost has to how to properly mount the drive so that Steam can see it

If you reformatted it to ext4 I would suggest to follow @omano advice and make a fix mountpoint for your disk. So the disk is always visible after starting your system.

Please take a look in here:

After your disk got a fix mountpoint and the right access rights steam should not have problems to reach it.

… one question still … you use the steam installation which came with manjaro … not the flatpak, right?

1 Like

@kisum Stop advising people to create mount points using fstab :woman_facepalming:
(A small typo can render a whole system unbootable)

1 Like

You hear that Kisun! STOP IT! Stop giving people relevant information about the most used and simple method of mounting partition, you filthy terrorist! At least ask permission.

:SARCASM:

4 Likes

I feel this pain, I really, really do. No offense to anyone, but Systemd mounts are so much easier and safer…for experienced and new users alike. I’ve converted my fstab mount(s) to Systemd even. But …

… is too funny!

I honestly find the fstab method to be simpler, and you can test your mount before restarting if you’re not confident you did it right. I agree that the systemd method could be ‘safer’ for example if you remove you disk then you need to edit the fstab to not have issue on boot, but I guess you could also have proper mount option to not halt on failed mount. So all in all I think both are good.

//EDIT: mount -a

2 Likes

Someone hand out a special badge to this clown for being funny without a reason :rofl:

That is what you can do with systemd-mounts yes, but not fstab
Anyhow lets stop derailing the topic…
:vulcan_salute:

1 Like

This post must be flagged.

I think I did use the flatpak, how does that change things

Yes, Flatpak is not the recommend way to install applications on manjaro. Its better to use the software found in the repos which are prepared to work right with the system. Sometimes applications in flatpak format have problems to access the “host” filesystem.

The arch wiki also tells about.

Please try the steam version which can find in the repos. ( pamac )