Yt-dlp not up to date in pacman

You tube downloader is not up to date in pacman. It says the latest version is 2025.09.05-1 which doesn’t work in Youtube anymore. Github says the latest version is 2025.09.26 which I just downloaded and confirmed that it works. Any idea when pacman will have the latest version available for download?

Thank you

Not sure about the repos, but this might be an option (I don’t usually recommend AUR stuff for obvious reasons):

$ pamac search -a yt-dlp | grep -E "26|fixes"
yt-dlp-rtp  2024.09.26-1                                                     AUR
yt-dlp build with fixes to make it work on RTP Play

I removed the irrelevant entries from the result.

The more recent version of yt-dlp has made its way to Testing branch, but it looks like it just missed out on being included in the last Stable update (2025-09-26):

mbn info yt-dlp -q | grep -Ev 'Name|Repository|Packager'
Branch         : archlinux
Version        : 2025.09.26-1
Build Date     : Sat 27 Sep 2025 17:32:09 
Branch         : unstable
Version        : 2025.09.26-1
Build Date     : Sat 27 Sep 2025 17:32:09 
Branch         : testing
Version        : 2025.09.26-1
Build Date     : Sat 27 Sep 2025 17:32:09 
Branch         : stable
Version        : 2025.09.05-1
Build Date     : Mon 08 Sep 2025 23:56:04 

mbn can be found in the manjaro-check-repos package

There are a couple of options available to you:

The first is to switch to Testing branch (which is quite stable - I’ve been on Testing since May 2024 with no issues encountered).

To switch to Testing branch:

sudo pacman-mirrors --api --set-branch testing

or, to switch to Unstable branch:

sudo pacman-mirrors --api --set-branch unstable

After you changed the branch, rebuild the mirrorlist and update your packages:

sudo pacman-mirrors --continent && sudo pacman -Syu

The second option (and this is the one I use myself) is to install the Git version of yt-dlp from the AUR:

pamac build yt-dlp-git

It only takes a minute to build. Then, whenever there is new release on Git of yt-dlp, just run the pamac build yt-dlp-git command again to install the new version.

I also monitor the latest yt-dlp releases by subscribing to the Release notes from yt-dlp atom feed. The moment a new release advisory appears in my RSS reader, I re-run the pamac build yt-dlp-git command.

Output of pamac info yt-dlp-git
pamac info yt-dlp-git 
Name                  : yt-dlp-git
Version               : 2025.09.26.r0.g88e2a2d-1
Description           : A youtube-dl fork with additional features and fixes (git)
URL                   : https://github.com/yt-dlp/yt-dlp
Licenses              : Unlicense
Repository            : AUR
Installed Size        : 32.9 MB
Groups                : --
Depends On            : python python-certifi python-requests python-urllib3
Optional Dependencies : ffmpeg: for video post-processing [Installed]
                        rtmpdump: for rtmp streams support [Installed]
                        atomicparsley: for embedding thumbnails into m4a files
                        aria2: for using aria2 as external downloader [Installed]
                        python-mutagen: for embedding thumbnail in certain formats
                        python-pycryptodome: for decrypting AES-128 HLS streams and various other data [Installed]
                        python-pycryptodomex: for decrypting AES-128 HLS streams and various other data [Installed]
                        python-websockets: for downloading over websocket
                        python-brotli: brotli content encoding support [Installed]
                        python-brotlicffi: brotli content encoding support [Installed]
                        python-xattr: for writing xattr metadata
                        python-pyxattr: for writing xattr metadata (alternative option)
                        phantomjs: for extractors with javascript code
                        python-secretstorage: For -cookies-from-browser to access the GNOME keyring while decrypting cookies of Chromium-based browsers [Installed]
                        python-curl-cffi: for impersonating browsers
Make Dependencies     : pandoc python-build python-hatchling python-installer git
Check Dependencies    : python-pytest
Required By           : --
Optional For          : haruna mpv smplayer
Provides              : yt-dlp
Replaces              : --
Conflicts With        : yt-dlp
Packager              : Unknown Packager
Maintainer            : katt
First Submitted       : Mon 09 Aug 2021 01:20:52
Last Modified         : Tue 25 Mar 2025 02:45:22
Votes                 : 51
Out of Date           : --
Build Date            : Sat 27 Sep 2025 10:25:45
Install Date          : Sat 27 Sep 2025 10:26:16
Install Reason        : Explicitly installed
Validated By          : None
Backup files          : --

Thank you. I’ll keep this in mind for the future.

Thank you. Being a novice to Linux and not comfortable using the command line much I think I’ll wait for the latest release to be available in the Add/Remove Software Update tab. But I’ll keep this in mind if it stops working again.

You can also install yt-dlp-git via the Software Manager. Just ensure that you have AUR Support enabled in the Preferences → Third Party section. You may also need to refresh the databases via the preferences drop-down menu after enabling the AUR.

yt-dlp-git should then be listed in the software manager:

And just for a good measure we can ping @Yochanan . Maybe he can update it in the stable branch (i know the policy for fast tracking but since it’s not working at all and a dependency of many apps…maybe an exception can be made).

There also is a standalone version located here under the alternatives section:

Also have a look at this important announcement regarding yt-dlp:

That was very important information. I guess we will need to install an additional package as a dependency soon.

Thank you. I just got an update today for this via add/remove software. Just wanted to let anyone else know that the update is now available.