Yakuake freezes whole system on open/close for about 20 seconds. After system update today

All i can see in the journalctl logs is

kwin_x11[11453]: Could not get Interfaces. "Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken."

I did have several tabs open with SSH connections just before i rebooted the system after the update this afternoon so i suppose it is possible that its something to do with the network, but iv closed all the tabs on it now. Iv deleted all the ~/.cache/yakuake but it didnt help. Im just guessing, really.

If i could save all my yakuake setting/profiles/skins etc i would try uninstalling but i cant be sure how.

I have tried rolling it back to yesterdays version but still does that same.

Its not just open/close of the main yakuake window, it also freezes the system for 20 seconds ish when i try to change the settings in the GUI.

Any ideas? thx.

Ok so i have uninstalled it and deleted everything i could find to do with yakuake (settings and cache). Rebooted and reinstalled. It has not helped.

It definitely has something to do with the size of the window. If its at 100% by 100% then it will freeze often when opening/closing but not if its only at 90% width/height.
Trying to slide these size sliders in the GUI also makes it freeze almost every time i touch them.

Dont know what else to do :frowning:

Host: greg-inspiron5767 Kernel: 5.15.120-1-MANJARO arch: x86_64 bits: 64
Desktop: KDE Plasma v: 5.27.6 Distro: Manjaro Linux
Type: Laptop System: Dell product: Inspiron 5767 v: N/A
serial: <superuser required>
Mobo: Dell model: 03XWWJ v: A00 serial: <superuser required>
UEFI-[Legacy]: Dell v: 1.5.0 date: 06/11/2021
ID-1: BAT0 charge: 42.0 Wh (100.0%) condition: 42.0/42.0 Wh (100.0%)
Info: dual core Intel Core i5-7200U [MT MCP] speed (MHz): avg: 2482
min/max: 400/3100
Device-1: Intel HD Graphics 620 driver: i915 v: kernel
Device-2: Microdia Integrated_Webcam_HD driver: uvcvideo type: USB
Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 21.1.8 with: Xwayland v: 23.1.2 driver: X:
loaded: modesetting dri: iris gpu: i915 resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
API: OpenGL v: 4.6 Mesa 23.0.4 renderer: Mesa Intel HD Graphics 620 (KBL
Device-1: Intel Wireless 3165 driver: iwlwifi
Device-2: Realtek RTL810xE PCI Express Fast Ethernet driver: r8169
Device-3: Intel Bluetooth wireless interface driver: btusb type: USB
Local Storage: total: 931.51 GiB used: 183.77 GiB (19.7%)
Processes: 225 Uptime: 24m Memory: available: 15.45 GiB
used: 3.59 GiB (23.3%) Shell: fish inxi: 3.3.27

extra/yakuake 23.04.3-1

Ok, after 24 hours of searching and very nearly reinstalling i found a couple of posts which i have linked below.

The remedy was simple when you know. It was the ~/.config/kwinrc file that was causing the problem. It seems that after system updates it has been known to do this, causing all sorts of problems. I renamed it, rebooted, sorted out the settings that had now been set back to default, and it was all working again! Phew, that was close ^^.

Yeah that one was a doozy, the errors themselves were from different applications and they didn’t mention kwin anywhere directly. I was stuck with it for 2+ months, glad the “fix” worked for you! Though, it would be nice for the root cause to found and handled to prevent this from happening again.

Yea that was quite something ^^. It is the randomness of the problems that become visible to the user that makes it so hard to deal with. I was sure that the journalctl log was a red-herring, but in the end it was the path i needed to walk down. Just glad it did turn out to be a single file, as i had my USB stick in hand but really couldn’t face it.

Chers for saving me a whole load of work, and a big thx /s to Manjaro for this still being a thing, lol.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.