Wrong password at the lock screen

If you can’t even login as the root user, then you can’t even create a new “test user” to see if it also affects new users.

This is weird.

Can I create one in the emergency mode? Also I can access all my files if I boot from a usb.

Something is not making sense.

You can try that, but I’m not sure if your “emergency mode” is what I think it is.

Go ahead and try:

useradd -m testuser

If you have a HD mounted on the pc, and take it out, it boots on a terminal and asks for your password, that’s what I mean by emergency mode.

What “HD” are you taking out?

Is this the main harddrive to which you installed Manjaro?

I would suggest to repair using chroot !
Then ist is sure what environment you are in.

no! it’s a secondary drive i’ve mounted on a folder in my primary drive, which is the one my o.s. is installed

I added the testuser and I can select it in the lock screen, but it says the password is incorrect too! I didn’t put any password, shouldn’t it just login ?

AFAIK the system won’t let you create a user without a password.

Do away with your additional harddisk.
Just the basics if there are problems … reduce the number of variable you potentially have to deal with …
chroot (booting from usb and manjaro-chroot) is probably a good idea at this point

Can you login with this new testuser under TTY2?

Same thing, login incorrect, even in the TTY2

This will happily create a new user (testuser)
but it will not care or even ask for to set a password for that account

as root you have to set one

sudo su
passwd testuser

1 Like

Almost forgot. Good catch.

@Rosso: I’m starting to suspect that when you created a new fstab entry for the secondary harddrive, you inadvertently set the mount point’s path over the root path or important system path.

Are you able to share how you added it to the fstab?

But first, try what @Nachlese wrote, to force the creation of a password for testuser.

Set the password to test, got the same error, even in the TTY2

Sure!
UUID=huge name /home/ye/junk ext4 defaults 0 0
/home/ye is the same folder where my folders for downloads and pictures was, ye was the username…

in TTY
you can successfully log in a s root (by having to type a password)
?

But you cannot login as your user
or as the testuser?

And - going back to being able to login as root - …
you can set password for that user - but when you want to use it
to login
the system says it is not valid?
… even though you just set it … ?

a very methodical approach
from the ground up
is warranted

starting with removing variables - like your additional harddrive

I’m having a very hard time explaining this, when I unplug said secondary driver, and boot the pc, instead of the usual lock screen, I get an “emergency mode” there I can input my password, it becomes just like the terminal, with a red hastag and the name of my computer, I’ve been using this method to input the commands you guys have been saying…

When I plug the secondary driver back on, the fstab has nothing to complain, so it just puts me on the lock screen, there, none of the passwords work

One feature of that “emergency mode” is
that your root filesystem is read only.

You’d first need to remount the / (root) in read/write mode
before any commands could yield any actual changes.

At the current stage of affairs,
you’d probably be much better off trying to fix the issue from a chroot
(booting from USB and manjaro-chroot into the system …)