Wlan Stick Support

Hi, I got the GigaBlue Ultra 600mbps wlan stick as my current laptops wifi card only supports the 2.4ghz standard and often fails to connect at home.

When I plug it in its detected as:
Bus 002 Device 005: ID 0bda:0811 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. Realtek 8812AU/8821AU 802.11ac WLAN Adapter [USB Wireless Dual-Band Adapter 2.4/5Ghz]

I checked for drivers on aur, but any I install, be it the 8812AU or 8821AU I get a message like

==> ERROR: Missing 4.19.269-1-MANJARO kernel modules tree for module 8821au/5.12.5.2.r166.g309ca6c.

(I am on the current 5.15 kernel)

Is there anything I can do?

To compile drivers like this, from the AUR, you need to have some prerequisites:
all of the packages in the “base-devel” package group
the kernel headers for your current kernel (actually: for all your installed kernels)
dkms as well

Hi @caroliny, and welcome!

As @Nachlese said, to install/compile something like this from the AUR, there are quite some prerequisites.

Firstly, you need the kernel headers for your installed kernel(s). You also need the dkms package. Then you can go ahead.

Installing headers for currently installed kernels

pamac install $(pamac list --installed --quiet | grep "^linux" | grep "^linux[0-9]*[-rt]*$" | awk '{print $1"-headers"}' ORS=' ')

Then you also need at least thee dkms package, but that sh0ould be installed when building the drivers, IIRC.

The drivers themselves are in the AUR:

$ pamac search 8812au
[...]
rtl8812au-dkms-git                                                                                                                                                                                                              5.13.6.r129.g0fe44f8-1  AUR
rtl8812AU chipset driver with firmware v5.13.6
[...]

So to build them, theoretically you need to run:

pamac build rtl8812au-dkms-git

Hope this helps!

:bangbang: Tip: :bangbang:

When posting terminal output, copy the output and paste it here, wrapped in three (3) backticks, before AND after the pasted text. Like this:

```
pasted text
```

Or 3 (three) tilde signs, like this:

~~~
pasted text
~~~

This will just cause it to be rendered like this:

Sed
sollicitudin dolor
eget nisl elit id
condimentum
arcu erat varius
cursus sem quis eros.

Instead of like this:

Sed sollicitudin dolor eget nisl elit id condimentum arcu erat varius cursus sem quis eros.

Alternatively, paste the text you wish to format as terminal output, select all pasted text, and click the </> button on the taskbar. This will indent the whole pasted section with one TAB, causing it to render the same way as described above.

Thereby increasing legibility thus making it easier for those trying to provide assistance.

For more information, please see:

:bangbang::bangbang: Also, if your language isn’t English, please prepend any and all terminal commands with LC_ALL=C. For example:

LC_ALL=C bluetoothctl

This will just cause the terminal output to be in English, making it easier to understand and debug.

Perfect, thanks, this worked

1 Like