Wine 9.3 not working

Hi, I wanted to learn wine, since it would make my life easier by using some windows apps on my laptop.
The problem is that after I installed wine using:

sudo pacman -S wine winetricks wine-mono wine-gecko

And try to run simple:

wine notepad

I get this output and then it feezes and I have to force close the terminal:

wine: created the configuration directory '/home/cubebuc/.wine'
002c:fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls" (6.0.0.0)
004c:fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls" (6.0.0.0)
0054:fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls" (6.0.0.0)
004c:fixme:bitmap:NtGdiCreateBitmap planes = 0
0054:fixme:bitmap:NtGdiCreateBitmap planes = 0
004c:err:ole:StdMarshalImpl_MarshalInterface Failed to create ifstub, hr 0x80004002
004c:err:ole:CoMarshalInterface Failed to marshal the interface {6d5140c1-7436-11ce-8034-00aa006009fa}, hr 0x80004002
004c:err:ole:apartment_get_local_server_stream Failed: 0x80004002
0054:err:ole:StdMarshalImpl_MarshalInterface Failed to create ifstub, hr 0x80004002
0054:err:ole:CoMarshalInterface Failed to marshal the interface {6d5140c1-7436-11ce-8034-00aa006009fa}, hr 0x80004002
0054:err:ole:apartment_get_local_server_stream Failed: 0x80004002

I have tried to reinstall wine and also removed .wine and a few dirs in my home directory that seem to have to do something with wine, but nothing changed.

These errors indicate that windows common controls library (v6) is required, and not installed. Even on Windows, no application will run without all its supporting files or packages also being installed. Itā€™s common to discover additional requirements for your WINEprefix with each new Windows application you try to run. Cheers.

Thanks, but how exactly would I install it?
Sorry, I am kinda noob at thisā€¦

The same library is missing even if I run winecfg. Also I get another not good looking error:

002c:fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls" (6.0.0.0)
wine: could not load kernel32.dll, status c0000135

And thatā€™s precisely why Iā€™m reluctant to help much further.

Read whatever documentation you can find on how to create a wineprefix (basically a few folders duplicating a Windows system), and how to tailor them for a specific purpose. I recall Winetricks was the goto tool when I used WINE a while back; focus on understanding how to use that effectively.

Search engines can be very productive also; especially Stack Exchange results, for example. The best advice I can offer there, is to structure your searches/questions so that someone will understand exactly what you need to find out.

Apart from WINE, you might also like to experiment with Bottles, which is based on WINE but perhaps a little more user friendly.

It might be available from the AUR; I canā€™t recall exactly.

Good luck.

1 Like

I suspect that wine-gecko might be the problem. It replaces Internet Explorer and iirc Common Controls were part of IE. I donā€™t have either wine-mono or wine-gecko packages installed and wine notepad works fine here.

Uninstall wine-gecko (and wine-mono unless you know that you need it), then rm -rf ~/.wine and try again.

1 Like

Well, I am sorry, but an attitude like ā€œsearch engine will help youā€ is not exactly helpful.
Itā€™s not like my first idea was to blindly post a problem to the forum.

I have already searched through a bunch of forums looking for people with similar problems as mine.
But none of the advice I found would fix my problem.

Of course, I already tried creating a fresh prefix using winetricks, but I got the same errors.
Also, I just noticed, that I am not able to run winetricks at all for some reason right nowā€¦

About Bottlesā€¦ I know it and I have tried it some time ago, but that wonā€™t solve my problem.
I would like to have working wine on my laptop.
Also as far as I know Bottles is basically a wine wrapper, so it might be even harder to debug if it wouldnā€™t work.

I would like to know, why wine is not working as it should. Having it freshly installed, I thought I should be able to run at least notepad.exe.

I uninstalled both, but still get the same results.

1 Like

So, basically youā€™re rejecting any potentially useful parts of my post. Well, thatā€™s your prerogative, I suppose.

As a self-confessed noob Bottles might have been an option for you. I had it running nicely for a while last year (installed out of curiosity more than much else) and it was indeed very easy to use.

The downside (at least for me) was its heavy dependence on GNOME libraries; so, ultimately I purged it.

Again, good luck.

I also vote for bottles. It has a nice menu to add libraries or even to try another version of wine. It is a lot of overhead but i just didnā€™t want to learn the whole wine stuff.

I have wineprefixes I assembled years ago; most of them are still usable. Although, typically I donā€™t have much need for Windows applications; apart from mp3tag and a few others.

$ rm -rf ~/.wine
$ winecfg

Does that work?

I installed the whole thing for 1 specific closed source corporate program, i do not use it for anything else at all. And it occurred to me to test Linpack benchmark under manjaro+wine and to compare to running under native win11 on the same machine. What can i sayā€¦wine under linux performs 10-30% better than native windows, at least for mathematical tasks.

I tried bottles and it runs fineā€¦
Though, I wanted to know why wine wasnā€™t willing to work.

No, I get exactly the same errors.

Then something is very wrong. Have you set WINEPREFIX or WINEARCH environment variables by any chance, and they are overriding the defaults? env | grep WINE.

Otherwise I have no idea. Something on your system is interfering with Wine, the fact that Bottles works proves that.

I changed them to test with different prefix, which didnā€™t help

Now env | grep WINE outputs nothing, so I guess they are not overridden.

This is actually quite a relevant thread. I also have no idea why wine would not be working and why for the installation of wine there should be an error:

which is followed by all the rest until:

err:ole:apartment_get_local_server_stream Failed

I installed wine-wow64 (after failure of regular wine) because the only program that I would run is winbox64.exe (for a MikroTik router it is an occasionally very useful gui). The point is that some 6 months ago I could run wine on the same laptop, then I did not need it for a while and about 2 months back it is giving these kinds of errors and no longer starting. It seems that something changed with wine as I did not do anything to tamper with it. I have another laptop which runs the thing successfully - the main difference being that this laptop has 2 graphics cards.

It would be nice if the wine installation actually worked.

I ended up setting up the bottles environment; you are right it does work, but the startup is significantly slower than it used to be with simple wine. With wine installation least the very basic thing such as winecfg should work, at least from a clean install. Things that are included in wine installation should work. If there is a way how to get a clean slate such as rm -rf ~/.wine then wine notepad or winecfg should work. This is to say that the OP is not unreasonable at all.

But thanks a bunch for pointing out bottles. Good interface, clearly a lot of thought has gone into that.

At face value, a reasonable expectation; however, WINE isnā€™t designed to just work with all things Windows. It must be configured.

For example to have Notepad, Wordpad, or Paint work as expected, a prerequisite wineprefix might first need to be manually created and configured (with all necessary Windows bits) before it can work.

Experience with WINE; some trial and error; is probably the best way forward. There is also the Wiki and App database at WineHQ that might be an invaluable resource.

The previous error might suggest you need to start with a Windows XP wineprefix, for example; I can only guess, as I have no idea what you have actually done to setup your WINE environment. Others are no doubt likewise limited in what they can offer as useful advice.

I hope this helps. Cheers.

Edit:- I also found Install Wine on Manjaro which might be of some practical use for you; although the tutorial is a few years old (as much of the available WINE information tends to be).

Assuming that WINE is properly installed and you have a wineprefix that is likewise configured correctly, you could try creating a link to notepad.exe (via the Menu Editor in whatever Manjaro platform you use).

Complete the link using the following General/Advanced details as a guide, and see if that works for you:

Item Value
Name MS Notepad
Description BillyBobā€™s Notepad App
Env Variables WINEPREFIX=/home/USERNAME/.wine
Program wine
Cmd-Line Args 'C:\windows\command\start.exe' /Unix '/home/USERNAME/.wine/dosdevices/c:/windows/notepad.exe'
Work Path /home/USERNAME/.wine/dosdevices/c:/windows

Enable launch feedback (should be checked)

Naturally, change ā€˜USERNAMEā€™ for your actual User name.

I just unearthed my old BillyBob Office 2007 wineprefix; it still works as well as it ever did.

I cannot reproduce this - with a slightly more minimal installation:

sudo pacman -Syu wine

perhaps note the -Syu instead of just -S as you did it

Then I ran winecfg - and left everything as default.
This took quite a while (estimatad: 1+ minute) - perhaps be a bit more patient.
Along the way a dialogue reminded me that wine-mono was not found
(and that I should prefer the distro package over having wine install it for me).

I did not install it.

Here is the resulting terminal output until the winecfg configuration window pops up:

winecfg 
wine: created the configuration directory '/home/nachlese/.wine'
004c:fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls" (6.0.0.0)
0054:fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls" (6.0.0.0)
004c:err:ole:StdMarshalImpl_MarshalInterface Failed to create ifstub, hr 0x80004002
004c:err:ole:CoMarshalInterface Failed to marshal the interface {6d5140c1-7436-11ce-8034-00aa006009fa}, hr 0x80004002
0054:err:ole:StdMarshalImpl_MarshalInterface Failed to create ifstub, hr 0x80004002
0054:err:ole:CoMarshalInterface Failed to marshal the interface {6d5140c1-7436-11ce-8034-00aa006009fa}, hr 0x80004002
0054:err:ole:start_rpcss Failed to open RpcSs service
wine: configuration in L"/home/nachlese/.wine" has been updated.

these fixmeā€™s and errors largely donā€™t mean much in wine
they certainly donā€™t mean that this here doesnā€™t work - because: it does

Then I ran:
wine notepad
and lo and behold - it works as expected.
Notepad starts and works. :man_shrugging:

The built in stuff like notepad, explorer, regedit should actually work (and they do) without additional configs, so there is something else going on hereā€¦ :man_shrugging:

And by the way i have 4 copies of comctl32.dll

Iā€™d suggest having a go with Bottles from aur (just try pamac search bottles) - but definitely try to avoid Windows software where you can.

I run Line messenger, and it can bring the whole session to a halt - itā€™s not prettyā€¦ but I can also run a few simple things which work fairly cleanly.

Be more specific about exactly which applications youā€™re trying to run - then folks can test them out or come up with something more relevant, because thereā€™s no solution thatā€™ll run every Windows crapware.

For iTunes a few years ago, I used two options - 1. Dualboot 2. Virtualbox.

Thing is, Iā€™ve now realised that I get those messages too when I create a new prefix, but it works. A dialog pops up asking to install wine-mono (which I cancel), and then the Wine Configuration panel appears. So those messages arenā€™t the problem, itā€™s something else.

I wonder if itā€™s something to do with dual GPU and Wine not detecting the correct one. Bottles has a lot of GPU detection code which sets environment variables before running Wine, which might explain why it works there.

$ WINEPREFIX=~/winetest winecfg
wine: created the configuration directory '/home/mrlavender/winetest'
0054:err:ole:start_rpcss Failed to open RpcSs service
00e8:fixme:msg:pack_message msg 14 (WM_ERASEBKGND) not supported yet
wine: configuration in L"/home/mrlavender/winetest" has been updated.