Wifi keep disconnecting and doesn't reconnect

as the title says my rtl8821ce wifi driver keep disconnecting radomly. when i restart the laptop it doesn’t work but when i shutdown my laptop completely and boot it again it works for a few moments and disconnects again. this just works as a temporary solution.
i’ve been facing this issue from last week. also i’ve checked this mentioned issues and solution here Search results for 'wifi disconnecting' - Manjaro Linux Forum but no luck yet :frowning: also tried all LTS version Kernel manually but no luck yet also tried disabling ipv6.
and also checked other Distro same issue also there :frowning: i thought maybe it was my network adapter issue but ethernet cable works fine.
i’m using AUR (en) - rtl8821ce-dkms-git this my wifi driver

$ dkms status
rtl8821ce, 1.0.5.r128.gf93db73, 5.10.53-1-MANJARO, x86_64: installed

$ inxi --full --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host : nekobin
$sudo tlp-stat : nekobin

let me know if more info needed any help would be appreciated.

If you already disabled IPv6 then also disable mac address randomization, restart your devices (including your router) and see if that makes things better.

1 Like

mac address randomization is already disabled but will let you know if that works or not
thanks for your suggestion.

still facing the same issue mate that didn’t fixed the issue :frowning:

Will have to look on one of my older rigs that has a wifi (probably next week i can get to it) and see what i have where i put the number 1 … can’t recall the other options either.

otherwise i recall using the restrict to device … and same mac address

taken from your screenshot

1 Like

awesome now let’s see if this solution works or not :slight_smile:

this issue still persists man dunno what to do now :frowning: i’m desperate i can’t use ethernet all the time and wifi keeps disconnecting. this issue is very annoying :-/
restarting NetworkManager doesn’t help me at all need to shutdown & boot my laptop again. i can’t keep doing this. i need some serious help mate
please

Make a .conf file under /etc/modprobe.d/

sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/99-disable-aspm-rtw-pci.conf

Insert the following two lines:

options rtw_pci disable_aspm=1
options rtw88_pci disable_aspm=1

Save and reboot.

Apparently, this is a common issue with those Realtek WiFi chipsets. The two lines will cover the built-in module as well as the one from the AUR (which you are using.)

This will, however, likely use up more of your laptop’s battery as it disables advanced power management of your WiFi.

EDIT: If it doesn’t work using the driver from the AUR, try again with the one included with the kernel. (Either blacklist or remove the AUR version to retry with the built-in version.)

The built-in module is named rtw88_8821ce (notice the extra “88” immediately after the “rtw”)

2 Likes

did as you’ve said above now let’s wait and see if that works or not.
thanks a ton :slightly_smiling_face: :heart_eyes:

everything was going good untill i plugged in my laptop charger and it occured again. no going to using the built in module let’s see if that works or not :frowning:

I’m a bit iffy on using AUR packages, especially those that provide drivers / modules, when an option exists in the official repositories or kernel. Try to get it back to a clean slate so that you’re exclusively using rtw88_8821ce (included in the kernel.)

Afterwards, you can also double-check with modinfo to make sure, after a reboot, that it is indeed honoring the settings under you custom .conf file.

modinfo rtw88_8821ce | grep -i aspm

$ modinfo rtw88_8821ce
filename:       /lib/modules/5.10.56-1-MANJARO/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/realtek/rtw88/rtw88_8821ce.ko.xz
license:        Dual BSD/GPL
description:    Realtek 802.11ac wireless 8821ce driver
author:         Realtek Corporation
srcversion:     0417B4D62D67175100CCD6B
alias:          pci:v000010ECd0000C821sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
depends:        rtw88_pci,rtw88_8821c
retpoline:      Y
intree:         Y
name:           rtw88_8821ce
vermagic:       5.10.56-1-MANJARO SMP preempt mod_unload 
sig_id:         PKCS#7
signer:         Build time autogenerated kernel key
sig_key:        edited this line
sig_hashalgo:   sha512
signature:      also edited this line

uninstalled the rtl8821ce version and also blacklisted rtl8821ce version let’s see if that works or not

I don’t see any indication of ASPM being disabled in that output.

Can you try again with the -p flag?

modinfo -p rtw88_8821ce

You might have to double-check your .conf file (make sure it’s under /etc/modprobe.d/ and that it ends with the .conf extension. Double-check the lines in there as well, since if you copy+paste from a forum or webpage it might use a different format or ASCII characters.

1 Like

modinfo rtw88_8821ce
filename: /lib/modules/5.10.56-1-MANJARO/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/realtek/rtw88/rtw88_8821ce.ko.xz
license: Dual BSD/GPL
description: Realtek 802.11ac wireless 8821ce driver
author: Realtek Corporation
srcversion: 0417B4D62D67175100CCD6B
alias: pci:v000010ECd0000C821svsdbcsci*
depends: rtw88_pci,rtw88_8821c
retpoline: Y
intree: Y
name: rtw88_8821ce
vermagic: 5.10.56-1-MANJARO SMP preempt mod_unload
sig_id: PKCS#7
signer: Build time autogenerated kernel key
sig_key: edited
sig_hashalgo: sha512
signature: edited

btw there isn’t any .conf file sadly :frowning:

I thought you followed the steps outlined in the earlier post?

ohh about that yes i already did.
wait i’ll run the commands again and let you know

2021-08-10_23-07
modinfo -p rtw88_8821ce doesn’t give me any result :frowning: 2021-08-10_23-10
any idea what am i doing wrong?

What is the contents of /etc/modprobe.d/99-disable-aspm-rtw-pci.conf

:question:

1 Like

2021-08-10_23-22
options rtw_pci disable_aspm=1
options rtw88_pci disable_aspm=1

these two lines that you gave me

Just for giggles, can you manually type it in (not copy+paste), in case the characters used for _ and + are not the same format.

Rebooting should apply the options, and you should see it when using modinfo.