Where may i download isos/images based on testing branch?

Just a question : Where may i download a ‘testing’ iso ? (in order to install KDE 6)

I know developer images are based on unstable branch, but is there any iso/image based on testing branch ?
Thanks

Hi @ChrisCanyon,

Maybe this is what you’re looking for:

Edit:

I doubt it. I suspect you’ll have to build your own.

Also see

1 Like

ISO images use stable branch by default, but branch can be changed after installing

sudo pacman-mirrors --api --set-branch testing

Switching Branches - Manjaro

1 Like

If you use the python script mentioned here [root tip] [Utility Script] Using python to download and verify a Manjaro ISO

get-iso -p plasma

Thank you @linux-aarhus.

What i did meanwhile is to download the latest developer kde image (generated last night around 2:30 am, but there is a issue with it.
Once on the desktop, i cannot run the installer, it does not launch at all with several errors in journactl.

Sure, I could also download a stable release but as Plasma 6 is a big update, if i change the update branch to get it, i i will probably end up with lot of orphans file (which would be logical anyway).

That’s why, i am interested with a ‘testing’ iso based on the testing branch. Apparently your script is made for stable or unstable.

So, i do not know what would be the best way to do it…

Just a question, in case you know : is it always mandatory to choose /boot/efi as mountpoint for EFI partition on a Manjaro installation ? On arch wiki, they now recommend /boot (i do no want that) or /efi (which replace /boot/efi)

Not as far as I know. I think @cscs mentioned his is different, so he might be able to offer more, better insight.

The script is created for the automated builds and the releases from website.

• default → stable
  • -r → release review (more frequent builds from stable branch)
  • -p → developer preview (unstable branch)

If you use Calamares installer - yes - because Manjaro uses Grub and grub only works with /boot/efi.

But if you install manually using systemd-boot you can use /efi or /boot as mountpoint.

If we look at the iso-profiles you may try the build-iso with the kde-dev profile

You can always uninstall/remove all orphans afterwards…

pamac remove --orphans

Not sure about that, this is the default path.

I mean grub.cfg is located inside /boot/grub

But grubx64.efi is located inside esp/EFI/GRUB/. esp could be /boot/efi but also /efi no ?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/GRUB#Installation

Yes - you are correct - still the grub efi stub is only recognized by grub if it is mounted to /boot/efi.

On the grub website i see :

On EFI systems for fixed disk install you have to mount EFI System Partition. If you mount it at /boot/efi then you don’t need any special arguments:
grub-install
Otherwise you need to specify where your EFI System partition is mounted:
grub-install --efi-directory=/mnt/efi

I know - technically it is possible - but for the Calamares installer Manjaro uses defaults to /boot/efi and your question was about the Manjaro ISO so there is that.

Perhaps grub has had changes - but as I recall it - the default is /boot/efi

The reason Manjaro uses grub is because it can be installed to both bios and efi system.

So while grub can take a different argument for the esp - the insaller on the Manjaro iso expects /boot/efi.

If you want to do it differently - by all means - go ahead … but don’t complain :grin:

No no no, this is fine for me.
Now i understand better how things work.

Anyway, /efi or /boot/efi is kind of the same provided there is only grubx64.efi or bootx64.efi inside, which is the case.
Now, i understand /boot/efi is mandatory for Manjaro.

Look, yesterday, i installed Arch on en VM with archinstall. This is insane, you end up with your grub.cfg/grubenv, grub locales and theme inside your esp partition !!
I definitely do not want that, especially with luks or/and btrfs.

Thank you.

From download/.github/workflows/iso_build.yaml at master · manjaro-plasma/download · GitHub

strategy:
      matrix:
        EDITION: [kde-dev]
        BRANCH: [unstable]
        SCOPE: [minimal,full]

The preview you can get using the script mentioned is the unstable kde-dev profile

I wouldn’t either.

I recently experimented with a LUKS encrypted Manjaro using a verified boot with a single efi stub in $esp mount.

If you are interested you read about it [root tip] [Utility Script] Encrypted Manjaro Linux using Verified Boot - I have a Tuxedo laptop running this setup - flawless - removed all other signing certificates - not even Windows is allowed to boot - but is blocked by ‘Secure Boot’ :laughing:

It is an UKI or something ?

Yes - it is a unified image …

Interesting indeed, but i am so much attached to have my btrfs snapshots available in a bootloader.
I think only grub can do it with grub-btrfs

That is likely true - I did use btrfs - I speculate if this more safe as file system inside a LUKS container than ext4 is.

[nix@black ~]$ lsblk
NAME        MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE  MOUNTPOINTS
nvme0n1     259:0    0 465,8G  0 disk  
├─nvme0n1p1 259:1    0   512M  0 part  /efi
├─nvme0n1p2 259:2    0     8G  0 part  
│ └─swap    254:1    0     8G  0 crypt [SWAP]
├─nvme0n1p3 259:3    0   256G  0 part  
│ └─system  254:0    0   256G  0 crypt /home
│                                      /.snapshots
│                                      /
└─nvme0n1p4 259:4    0 201,3G  0 part  /a/vmstore
[nix@black ~]$ ls /efi