Where do I start - it all seems difficult to learn

Bummer. :frowning:

On a side note:

1 Like

Fair enough.

So now what? I really donā€™t wanna reformat if I donā€™t have to.

the command you run from within the booted live session is, I believe:
manjaro-chroot

(youā€™ll find out if you look for it, for instance here in the forums)

If the goal is just to find out what commands you ran (from that ā€œhistoryā€ file)
then it will be enough to just access your home directory using the live session
and list what is in the file

the file name (in your users home directory) is:
.bash_history

itā€™s similar in case zsh was your shell ā€¦

Just use the file manager in the live session (enable to show hidden files) to find and see it and list itā€™s contents.

1 Like

Interesting. I checked the .bash_history file and it does not have the commands in it that I used right before my system became unstable.

I have no idea whatā€™s going on. I did not change anything on my boot drive as far as I know, I attempted to change ownership of my SSD, that specific SSD is not my boot drive.

Then you perhaps used the /root account - a similar file is there.
Or - with the recent versions of Manjaro - the default shell is zsh
and the history file is named differently (but similar - as mentioned).

If you used the command line - there is some evidence there somewhere ā€¦

I found a root folder, so Iā€™m guessing itā€™s the one you mean, and I canā€™t access it, it has a lock on it.

I managed to flash Manjaro on another USB stick I have kicking about, so maybe I can fiddle with Manjaro as a live machine and fix my problem, somehow.

I think @Nachlese meant the root account (either of the LiveUSB or of your installation).
The file thatā€™d interest you should be, starting from the location of your capture, at home/jesse/.bash_history.

Thanks for all your help, it really is appreciated. In the end, I did a bit of googling and I ended up bricking my installation. Iā€™m not sure how, Iā€™m a noob when it comes to Linux. So I reformatted BUT I didnā€™t lose anything so I guess I just need to be extra careful in the future. :relaxed:

Messing with devices/partitions is definitely something I need to do in a VM or a separate PC to get the hang of it. :sweat:

Donā€™t worry, it is not entirely your fault.

This thread is a little bit weird. In my opinion, recommending a Linux starter to use the command line for partitioning devices leads to results like this. GUIs were invented to make life easier. Donā€™t let anybody talk you into anything.

Sure there are a lot of helpful answers and funny analogies in this thread, but they are written from people who already know about this stuff and they actually donā€™t really address your problem.

What is your problem actually? As far as I understood, you want to create another partition to save your Steam games there.

Maybe it is better to start a new thread with the title ā€œHelp with partitioning devicesā€ instead of some chit-chat thread without any real goal.

3 Likes

I meant the folder /root which is in your screenshot (third row on the right, with the lock symbol on it).
This is the $HOME of the root user - and it contains a .bash_history file just like your own and any other users $HOME does.

You can access it as ā€¦ the root user
which in your case would require you to start/use the file manager as the root user
Iā€™m not familiar with KDE or itā€™s filemanager Dolphin
which is what you used.

I much prefer a terminal filemanager (mc) - Iā€™m just used to it and it works everywhere, even when the graphical environment isnā€™t there for some reason and you canā€™t use a tool like Dolphin ā€¦

Seems to be a moot point now.

@lahpyrcopa I fully agree here. It makes no sense at the end. Feel free to create a thread with a specific goal. If the goal has been reached, then you have learned something useful.

1 Like

@denonom @megavolt To answer why this thread doesnā€™t make sense. I actually commented in another thread and my comment which is the starter ā€œquestionā€ to this thread was not created by ā€œmeā€ despite the website saying it was. Someone else, maybe a mod, created this thread.

Apparently my question/confusion was not appropriate for the original thread.
(original thread [root tip] Use systemd to mount ANY device)

Yep, that makes sense, since your ā€œcommentā€ was not really related to the tutorial text itself, but rather a support request. So a moderator or community manager has moved it.

However, I wonā€™t repeat myself. But rather give you a little guidance.

When creating a threadā€¦

1. document as much as possible in the correct sequence, what you have done.
  2. copy&paste the history of the terminal, if possible, in a codeblock.
  3. include System Information, or ask what is needed.
  4. avoid long ā€œbabbleā€ around it. Talk straight about the problem.
  5. Donā€™t be too stingy with paragraphs, commas, and periods.

We, the ā€œproblem solverā€, need some straight forward information, to guide someone.

so to sum this all up to make a game partition for my steam gamesā€¦

would the following be accurate and work for me?

sudo mkdir -pv /media/jesse/games

and then

sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /media/jesse/games

I got a hunch that Iā€™ll have to re-mount the partition every time I start my machine, so Iā€™m guessing there must be a way to auto-mount?

You can find the answer in the guide i linked you in my very first reply.

That is done by editing the file /etc/fstab with an editor.

Here is direct link:

If you donā€™t understand something or stuck somewhere, just ask.

Alright first question, and Iā€™m hesitant to ask more questions because I feel like Iā€™m getting to be a bother, like I should just be googling everything.

Any wayā€¦ The SSD that I want to partition for gaming is currently owned by the ā€œrootā€ of my system and not me. I have googled how to solve this again & again and I havenā€™t found any straightforward answers. I know that to claim ownership of a device you go through the terminal and type in something like sudo chown but beyond that I have no idea.

If Iā€™ve learned anything about Linux in the past 2 months of heavy use, itā€™s that Linux is like Photoshop in the regard that there is more than one way to get 1 thing done, and it can range from basic to needing a lot of experience to pull off the technique (or ā€œcodeā€ in terms of Linux).

Make all files/folder recursively owned by the current user:

sudo chown -R $USER:$USER /media/jesse/games

Make all files/folder recursively accessible by anyone, anyhow:

sudo chmod -R 777 /media/jesse/games

:notebook: 777 ā†’ ugo+rwx

Btwā€¦ file browsers can open folders as admin and there you change the permission (context menu).

This looks like it worked, although the terminal shows what looks like 3 directories being made simultaneously as opposed to one. Maybe Iā€™m reading it incorrectly.

Thanks

jesse@jesse-desktop ~> lsblk
NAME   MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINTS
sda      8:0    0 232.9G  0 disk
ā”œā”€sda1   8:1    0   300M  0 part /boot/efi
ā””ā”€sda2   8:2    0 232.6G  0 part /
sdb      8:16   0 465.8G  0 disk
ā””ā”€sdb1   8:17   0 465.8G  0 part /run/media/jesse/c8635f34-4286-494b-8421-b1b2078844ca
sdc      8:32   0   5.5T  0 disk
ā”œā”€sdc1   8:33   0    16M  0 part
ā””ā”€sdc2   8:34   0   5.5T  0 part /run/media/jesse/Main Storage
sdd      8:48   0 465.8G  0 disk
ā””ā”€sdd1   8:49   0 465.8G  0 part
sr0     11:0    1  1024M  0 rom
jesse@jesse-desktop ~> sudo mkdir -pv /media/jesse/games
[sudo] password for jesse:
mkdir: created directory '/media'
mkdir: created directory '/media/jesse'
mkdir: created directory '/media/jesse/games'
jesse@jesse-desktop ~> sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /media/games
mount: /media/games: mount point does not exist.
jesse@jesse-desktop ~ [32]> sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /media/jesse/games/
jesse@jesse-desktop ~> sudo chown -R $USER:$USER /media/jesse/games/
jesse@jesse-desktop ~> sudo chmod -R 777 /media/jesse/games/
jesse@jesse-desktop ~>

P.S. When replying the website suggested I PM you for further correspondence, so that might end up happening. I feel like a baby using Linux. :joy: